Skip to main content
Topic: Our Inability to Win Close Games (Read 18342 times) previous topic - next topic

Our Inability to Win Close Games

After the Fremantle game it got me thinking about are regular inability to win close games.

My Carlton mate just provided me with the statistics:

Carlton have lose 32 matches by 18 points or less since 2008.

That is 1 in 5 games since 2008

This says to me that our list has no poise under pressure and/or skills to finish off games.

Re: Our Inability to Win Close Games

Reply #1
So what would you propose as a remedy then ??
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #2

1. New Recruitment Team - including dedicated list manager, national development network and head recruiter - goodbye to current recruiter
2. More money from the Board/Sponsors into the Development league and Reserves. Full Carlton reserves
3. More Coaches at Development and Reserves
4. Clear the list methodically with the hard calls

The rest will look after itself...

Reply #3
We have won 20 games by 18 or less in the same time frame so it's not like we lose all the close ones but a reversal of those figures would have improved our results the last few years.

Geelong always seem to win the close ones.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #4
We have won 20 games by 18 or less in the same time frame so it's not like we lose all the close ones but a reversal of those figures would have improved our results the last few years.

Thanks for that - I didn't get time for that analysis

Therefore, since 2008:

We win 38% of the close games
We lose 62% of the close games

Reply #5

Thanks for that - I didn't get time for that analysis

Therefore, since 2008:

We win 38% of the close games
We lose 62% of the close games

So we win about 2 out of 5 close games - about right for a middle of the road team?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #6

1. New Recruitment Team - including dedicated list manager, national development network and head recruiter - goodbye to current recruiter
2. More money from the Board/Sponsors into the Development league and Reserves. Full Carlton reserves

x2.... been saying similar for years but the club refuses to admit the recruiting and development are an issue.....

Reply #7
I think the more important figure is the long term trends.

2008 and 2011 our winning margins increased and the losing margins decreased (improvement).

2012 our winning margin was stable but our losing margin increased (backwards).

2013 our winning margin dropped and the losing margin dropped (stalled).

2014 our winning margin remains stable but our losing margin has risen (backwards).
The Force Awakens!

Reply #8

So everything we have been banging on about ad-nauseum for years !!

Thanks Moz.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #9

x2.... been saying similar for years but the club refuses to admit the recruiting and development are an issue.....

Are you sure? That's all I've heard Loguidice say since he was appointed.

Reply #10

So everything we have been banging on about ad-nauseum for years !!

Thanks Moz.

Yep. In short, our list is not good enough because of poor recruiting and development. Over to you Mr LoGiudice and Mr Trigg.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #11
You win the close ones when your leaders/champs step up........Selwood got Geelong over the line when we lost, Fyfe did it to us last game vs Freo.
You often see Hodge..Lewis of late do it for Hawthorn.......Juddy got us over the line vs the Tigers in last years final IMO.

If you could question two of the greats of the game in Pavlich and Reiwoldt...you would say they dont have that in their game and thats why their clubs even at the peak of their powers cant win the big one....

The cream rises to the top......we dont have enough cream especially when Judd doesnt play

Reply #12
we keep losing close games because  we are dumb team and also i think not fit enough, game plan of long kicks has to go.

Reply #13
In the original mosquito fleet days that great team always found ways to win including the close ones and close grand finals...79 81 82

Yep...geelong relish the close games...self belief skils close knit team and poise.....

Reply #14
To be honest, I don't think we are that far away. Yes, we do need more poise and skill, but that will come. Our biggest issue is the lack of a go to forward. If we had one, especially if that guys could kick goals (something many of our players find difficult), WE would be the ones doing the clutch things and coming home victorious.
Yes, we do have our issues, and getting them sorted on and off the field is a must. But we have been so close so often that it won't take a lot to start winning a few close ones. Once we get the confidence by beating a few of these teams in close games, we will gain confidence and start doing it more often. It is very much a self belief thing.
Live Long and Prosper!