Skip to main content
Topic: Toughening up the princesses? (Read 16773 times) previous topic - next topic

Toughening up the princesses?

A leopard can’t change his spots but he might be able to change his shorts (Discworld reference for those who have no idea what I am on about), which can be useful if the shorts have pronounced skid marks from previous lack of endeavour.

Not sure if the players are finally getting it, becoming more courageous with maturity or just more scared of Malthouse but consider the following.

Yarran is super-talented but has continued to be soft and lazy. MM's coaching efforts have been evident since the body language saga. Against the Swans he came on and made a couple of committed efforts before going missing in the final term. Against the Pies he made a couple of committed efforts in the first term (when the team was going well) but clearly didn't like the discomfort of physical contact and went missing thereafter. Against the ‘aints, he was noticeable in the way he tried to deliver the ball to teammates rather than his usual selfish solo efforts. Against the 'roos, he tackled effectively (instead of his usual passive efforts) and showed courage in some marking contests.

Despite having improved his output enough to be a regular senior player this year, Lucas has still shown regular glimpses of timidity but, in recent weeks, he has been winning some contested ball and also tackling with greater intensity.

Watson is still a liability when the ball hits the ground and he still lacks the speed to go with most tall forwards and to get to other contests to provide Jamo with some aerial assistance but he is finally playing with some intensity and, credit where credit’s due, his contested mark on Friday night was as big as Yarran’s in deciding the game and as good as anything I have seen him d in 3 years.

Re: Toughening up the princesses?

Reply #1
Are you suggesting we have too many "softies" RR ??
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #2

Just suggesting that Mick is trying to address a few shortcomings and might be having some effect.

Reply #3
In the past 2 weeks, Lucas' game is significantly different in terms of doing the harder stuff IMO.

Reply #4
In the past 2 weeks, Lucas' game is significantly different in terms of doing the harder stuff IMO.

Agree on Lucas...probably getting less of the footy but is becoming a better player in contests both on the ground and in the air.

Yarran isnt soft IMO...just choosy when he does go.

Watson is also choosy when he decides to make an effort but I thought he gave us something vs the Kangas at different times mixed with his usual laconic manning up and lazy work ethic.

Reply #5

Just suggesting that Mick is trying to address a few shortcomings and might be having some effect.

I totally agree with this observation - I was at the game on Friday (I know I vowed not to go) and I think MM's influence is becoming noticeable in our approach and unwillingness to be intimidated physically - despite our fade-out in the game which I think showed up our lack of real fitness.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #6
Yarran is super-talented but has continued to be soft and lazy. MM's coaching efforts have been evident since the body language saga. Against the Swans he came on and made a couple of committed efforts before going missing in the final term. Against the Pies he made a couple of committed efforts in the first term (when the team was going well) but clearly didn't like the discomfort of physical contact and went missing thereafter. Against the ‘aints, he was noticeable in the way he tried to deliver the ball to teammates rather than his usual selfish solo efforts. Against the 'roos, he tackled effectively (instead of his usual passive efforts) and showed courage in some marking contests.

See Yarran also produced efforts like these under Ratts IMO. Like Elwood said he would pick and choose too often. If Mick can get him doing it 100% of the time then I will take a bow.

Lucas couldn't even get a game under Ratts so there is clear improvement that can be attributed to MM. Lucas would more than likely not be at the club if Ratts had stayed.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #7

Agree on Lucas...probably getting less of the footy but is becoming a better player in contests both on the ground and in the air.

Yarran isnt soft IMO...just choosy when he does go.

Watson is also choosy when he decides to make an effort but I thought he gave us something vs the Kangas at different times mixed with his usual laconic manning up and lazy work ethic.

Lucas has been criticized for his one on ones but for what I've seen he's won most of them that he's been involved in.

He actually clunked a mark or two Friday and his ability to run off from a player who's right on his hammer is fantastic, never get sick of that.

Well done to mick for getting something from a #12 pick which had looked to many as a waste.

I think there's a misconception about what MM wants from his players though. Yes he want them to do the tough stuff, but I reckon hes more concerned wity them working harder more often.

He's had plenty of less than physical players over the years, Didak, Leon  Davis, Krakouer et al who've been known to go into self preservation mode when it suits. It hasn't meant he wouldn't pick them.

He has however given a few pretty good players "pine time" for not pulling their weight or playing to instruction Brad Hardie and Nick Davis probably the most famous , and they both left the club afterwards.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #8
Lucas did some okay things the other night but he still isn't off my 'booted' list just yet.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #9
The tackling of late is sub standard and soft - TBH I thought we were unusually assisted by the umpires Friday night

Reply #10
The tackling of late is sub standard and soft - TBH I thought we were unusually assisted by the umpires Friday night

Yes I thought we didn't make them stick on Friday night BUT it was better than previous efforts. Glad we won but we should have lost that.

Reply #11

Yes I thought we didn't make them stick on Friday night BUT it was better than previous efforts. Glad we won but we should have lost that.

Agree, I thought our tackling in the 1st half was terrible. I didn't notice it as so bad in the 2nd half.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #12
I agree our second half of footy against North had us tackle better and more often. Still think we have to improve far more in this area of our game if we are to be serious about finals footy. We are still seen as making up the numbers if we make the top 8. Still too many commentators rate us as ordinary and average.

I can see why, but I can also see where there will come a time they will all eat their words. Yarran and a few players really need to get more into the game early and get the one percenters done along with 2nd and 3rd efforts. Mick is watching every move and the axe could swing at the end of the season for some. I can see where we are better and it is definitely not having blow outs, and being in the game for a potential victory in almost every game. I can also see a small top up of the right mix of players making us a dangerous squad.

Mick has found a way of making our "B" and "C" grade players more accountable and value to the squad. This is good because it makes it difficult to get a game just based on past reputations. No more favourite players or special treatment. A few players have been a part of making their starting chances questionable. Maybe injury has had something to do with this, but we find it odd at times why players are selected for games. Players executing game instructions appear to be on Micks favoured list. Do the role your required and you will be a chance to play. This has not been the way things have always been for our club in the past.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #13
was just looking at the footage of MM going nuts from the boundary at walker - looked like something from a Hitler parody

Reply #14
Of late? Like you mean the last 10 years right?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time