Skip to main content

Poll

Which young players have long careers ahead of them?

Bell (24 years, 2 months)
[ 9 ] (5.6%)
Fraser (23 years, 2 months)
[ 0 ] (0%)
Watson (23 years)
[ 0 ] (0%)
Whiley (22 years, 8 months)
[ 3 ] (1.9%)
Fields (22 years, 7 months)
[ 0 ] (0%)
Buckley (22 years, 4 months)
[ 19 ] (11.9%)
Boekhorst (21 years, 11 months)
[ 9 ] (5.6%)
Docherty (21 years, 9 months)
[ 23 ] (14.4%)
Graham (21 years, 2 months)
[ 15 ] (9.4%)
Menzel (20 years, 10 months)
[ 15 ] (9.4%)
Jaksch (20 years, 10 months)
[ 13 ] (8.1%)
Dick (20 years, 9 months)
[ 0 ] (0%)
Byrne (20 years, 8 months)
[ 9 ] (5.6%)
Cripps (20 years, 4 months)
[ 25 ] (15.6%)
Giles (20 years, 3 months)
[ 0 ] (0%)
Holman (20 years, 2 months)
[ 10 ] (6.3%)
Foster (20 years, 2 months)
[ 2 ] (1.3%)
Johnson (20 years)
[ 1 ] (0.6%)
Smith (19 years, 6 months)
[ 3 ] (1.9%)
Viojo-Rainbow (19 years, 6 months)
[ 0 ] (0%)
Gowers (19 years, 2 months)
[ 0 ] (0%)
Walsh (18 years, 11 months)
[ 4 ] (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Topic: Carlton's 10 year players (Read 3785 times) previous topic - next topic

Carlton's 10 year players

inspired by a pessimist :P But a good question to see whether we have a base of quality to form the nucleus of the next flag shot - which will determine how long we will need to spend at the wrong end of the ladder  :-\

I cut the age off at 24 (okay, I let Tom Bell slip in)

Try keep it to genuine 200 game players rather than guys who aren't total rubbish (you can vote for as many as you like, ordered by age to help ruthlessness)

Re: Carlton's 10 year players

Reply #1
Cripps

(I actually picked a few more ;)...but seriously they are just "likely to" not "certainties")

Reply #3
i look at that list and it makes me feel sick

Reply #5
It's amazing that Byrne has more votes than Bell and Graham (at this stage) and he's played about 20 minutes of AFL footy. I really like the look of him, though.

Reply #6
Cripps, Jaksch and Docherty are the only 3. If many others above are still on our list in 5 to 6 years time we will have not made much progress.

Bit soon to judge the current first year crop, although Boekhorst looks to have some potential given his past few weeks.

Reply #7
Many players have potential if they have a chance to develop. That is the hard work ahead. Where we have failed for far too long. Making men from the kids. Don't just throw them into the deep end. However give them a chance to get a taste of what waits for them. Mentor them and teach them how to be professionals. Not spoiled brats on a wage that they don't deserve.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #8
If we're going down the development path then unless we bring serious change to the club (development structures, coaches and resources) it will all be for naught.

Geelong established the core group of their eventual premiership team by drafting kids and keep them together to play in the VFL and they eventually won the VFL premiership. The theory at the time was they learn each others game, grow in confidence, experience success together and form a culture.