Skip to main content
Topic: The Great "Friday Night Fixturing" Debate (Read 7898 times) previous topic - next topic

The Great "Friday Night Fixturing" Debate

http://www.3aw.com.au/news/carlton-fans-should-get-use-to-friday-night-ban-says-caroline-wilson-20151027-gkk3ak.html

The Blues featured in six Friday night games last year but voiced their anger on Tuesday after being told they wouldn't feature in any next season.

"I think the ban will have to last at least two years," Caro said on Sports Today.

Seems like everyone is getting in on the action with Caro now giving us a boot in the date.

I don't have an issue with it actually, we deserve everything we cop from the AFL and the media given our poor onfield efforts last year.

The other thing is that seeing as we are now entering into a genuine rebuild, it might suit us better to be out of the limelight too. We will have a number of young players being trialled in new roles and developing new game plans etc, best we creep up on the rest of the competition without them knowing.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: The Great "Friday Night Fixturing" Debate

Reply #1
Gary Lion said on MMM the other day said we should be banned for 2 years as well.

I'm sorry have I missed Richmond and Melbourne finishing top 4 and winning finals for the last few years?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #2
We don't deserve to play on Friday nights based on our poor efforts but we also don't deserve to be ridiculed by these nitwits in the media either. We don't set the fixture, the AFL does so blame them.

Reply #3
Hawthorn Carlton  Rd 19 in Tassie.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #4
As much as I agree that we deserve the lack of friday night representation based on our last few seasons, I think its folly to blanket ban clubs from friday night football.

There is as much chance that a Melbourne vs Carlton will be an entertaining watch as there is Freo vs Sydney.

Whilst the AFL like to use these nights as draw cards to show their wares, they need to be wary that they simply increase the divide between the have and have nots.

I.e. Strong clubs play the friday night fixture.  Players like the friday night fixture.  They decide rather than join a "cellar dweller" to play for Hawthorn for the friday night footy experience.

It really irritates me that they sit there and impose faux equalisation based on subjective opinions and use something like a fixture to achieve these goals.  The fixture is the one place that they SHOULD be seeking equalisation because too much travel, poor time slots and poor venues make for a club that is not very profitable and hence, not marketable and also therefore lacking sponsors.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #5
Spot on Sheik... AFL gave us too many games this season, which i think was in response to shafting us with Sunday night matches the year before.

Get used to the Sunday 1.10pm slot next season... we seem to have a few.

Reply #6
Why does it have to last 2 years? Did we break a rule or something LOL

Reply #7
Friday night fixturing is yet another example of the league separating into the haves and have nots, and as Orwell wrote "all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others".

Meh, the likes of  Caro can take a number and join the queue of people kicking us when we're down.  Another follower of opinion - and opinions are like a holes - everybody's got one.

That's ok.  Revel in it... just be prepared to cop it - and I really mean cop it by the truckload - when we right the ship,
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #8
Why does it have to last 2 years? Did we break a rule or something LOL

You would think we got busted injecting our players with banned performance enhancing substances.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #9
6 interstate games, don't travel to Adelaide again.
Lots of Sat late arvo games and Sat night games.
Hawks in Tassie in the middle of winter, going to be a cold game.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #10
Yeah why don't we just join the VFL and tell the AFL to stick it right up their clacker. At least we would be back at Princes Park enjoying our footy. Carro and Lyon and their Carlton hating buddies in the media would finally get want they want and we would be free at last from AFL orchestration.
Wasn't Ayres at Port suggesting a break away VFL or maybe I was dreaming ?

We don't have to prove ourselves, we have given the rest of the comp 15 years to catch up.
With the exception of the Hawks with the southeast corridor and the Cats given Simmonds Stadium to satisfy the rural sector, only the interstaters seem to be catching.

Conspiracy theories LOL. Is it all about the money and **** the football? The minions will believe anything we tell them.
Ahh just a rant!!

Reply #11
You would think we got busted injecting our players with banned performance enhancing substances.

Just exactly what I was thinking with these trolls use of the word......."Ban"........FFS !  I wasn't aware there was a tribunal style punishment for losing matches.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #12
Unless we absolutely begged the AFL for some Friday night games, then they are the ones who did the schedule which makes you wonder why we are now being hit with a "ban" ??

Besides, if they had us playing one of the other bottom 4 teams it should be a close game.

Reply #13
Trigg should be out their playing up the disrespect angle;

- A traditional clubs being discarded for the benefit of the AFL owned newbies!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #14
Im not too fussed really. If things start to turn around for the club then our supporter base and attendance will grow pretty quickly. We have a massive latent support, and that was one of the reasons for us getting so many Friday games: we attracted eyeballs. For all our putrid performances this past decade plus, we still have good support. Plenty of clubs have less than us and have not managed to capitalise. North were dominant in then1990s and still run chook raffles. Even Hawthorn came close to dying in the 1990s, despite every second kid in my primary school supporting them in the 1980s. Our crowds this year were much the same as the apparently exciting bulldogs.

We have alot of loyal and dedicated supporters. So, start winning games and then the league will make changes. Even Malthouse called us a sleeping giant.

I am just looking forward to next season and attending games whenever we play after 2 years away and having to sit through the insufferable streamed tv coverage.