Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 14: Pre Game Preparation: Carlton vs GWS (Read 16213 times) previous topic - next topic

Rd 14: Pre Game Preparation: Carlton vs GWS

The return of the Prodigal Sons: with such a strong link between GWS and Carlton now, it will be interesting to see how we go, who stands up, and who makes the other regret their decisions.
The game is in Sydney at Spotless at 1635 in the afternoon. It will not be on free to air TV: I can barely remember the last time we were.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Rd 14: Pre Game Preparation: Carlton vs GWS

Reply #1
If we play like we did last week we won't get within 15 goals.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #2

True!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #3
Danger game.

Reply #4
I've watched the replay, we really lacked leadership in the absence of Murphy.

His contribution is under-rated by supporters.

After this week our list looks much stronger.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
I've watched the replay, we really lacked leadership in the absence of Murphy.

His contribution is under-rated by supporters.

After this week our list looks must stronger.

I don't think Wayne Carey could have inspired the boys last week, they were thinking about their bye week holidays.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #6
I don't think Wayne Carey could have inspired the boys last week, they were thinking about their bye week holidays.

Yes I think you are correct, we looked way off the pace.

On a side note, a lot of posters criticised Weitering, but given our lack of midfield pressure and the open spaces inside F50 it's no wondering Membrey kicked a bag. Plus Weitering did all he could to force Membrey into the pocket in an otherwise open F50, but he still dobbed those shots. The problem was the lack of defensive run in the midfield and it's the first time I have seen that this season. Docherty and Simpson did their best to cover for it but it was never going to be enough.

Liked some of Sumner's work in the midfield, Gibb's was tagged out of it, Cripps got burnt a few times by team-mates not making use of him.

If Mumford doesn't make it back it will be a closer game than many people suspect.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #7

On the bright side, last time we played like last week we turned around and beat Geelong thee next week.

Can only hope.

Reply #8
I'm confident that with a couple of weeks rest we will go pretty hard at WCE.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #9
Yes I think you are correct, we looked way off the pace.

On a side note, a lot of posters criticised Weitering, but given our lack of midfield pressure and the open spaces inside F50 it's no wondering Membrey kicked a bag. Plus Weitering did all he could to force Membrey into the pocket in an otherwise open F50, but he still dobbed those shots. The problem was the lack of defensive run in the midfield and it's the first time I have seen that this season. Docherty and Simpson did their best to cover for it but it was never going to be enough.

Liked some of Sumner's work in the midfield, Gibb's was tagged out of it, Cripps got burnt a few times by team-mates not making use of him.

If Mumford doesn't make it back it will be a closer game than many people suspect.

Agree it wasnt all Weitering's fault as there wasnt much pressure from our mids to try and disturb the ball coming in but Membrey had 17 possies and 10 marks which is a lot of ball for a forward.....
Membrey is a bit like Jay Schultz in mode of operation and as we saw he doesnt need many kicks to hurt you on the scoreboard as he is very accurate...he pushed off Weitering a few times which allowed him to get the break on the lead..a stronger more developed player woudnt have allowed that but we forget our man is still a kid and after a couple more preseasons he will be the one doing the pushing as he gets stronger.
Weitering also maybe isnt suited to the 3rd tall quick on the lead type as I thought Membrey probably had a little bit more leg speed and our bloke had trouble keeping up with him...Rhys Stanley in the Geelong game also worried JW with his agility and speed and I think the coach needs to be more careful with his matchups and look after Wetering a bit more.
Simon White was probably a better match IMO and the move of him forward failed so I reckon it was a poor day in the coaching box allround..

Reply #10
Agree it wasnt all Weitering's fault as there wasnt much pressure from our mids to try and disturb the ball coming in but Membrey had 17 possies and 10 marks which is a lot of ball for a forward.....
Membrey is a bit like Jay Schultz in mode of operation and as we saw he doesnt need many kicks to hurt you on the scoreboard as he is very accurate...he pushed off Weitering a few times which allowed him to get the break on the lead..a stronger more developed player woudnt have allowed that but we forget our man is still a kid and after a couple more preseasons he will be the one doing the pushing as he gets stronger.
Weitering also maybe isnt suited to the 3rd tall quick on the lead type as I thought Membrey probably had a little bit more leg speed and our bloke had trouble keeping up with him...Rhys Stanley in the Geelong game also worried JW with his agility and speed and I think the coach needs to be more careful with his matchups and look after Wetering a bit more.
Simon White was probably a better match IMO and the move of him forward failed so I reckon it was a poor day in the coaching box allround..

Membrey made Weitering focus on trying to stop him getting the ball.  That meant Weitering couldn't zone off and take his trademark intercept marks.  It also disrupted our team defence.

Our defence functioned adequately when Weitering was moved forward and I think that shows that Bolton's multiple role approach is working.  However, it does suggest that Bolton should have changed the matchups a little sooner.  As you say EB, Bolton should be looking after Weitering while he is developing.  That said, it is probably important that Bolton gives Weitering a reasonable time to get on top of his opponent.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #11
Danger game. For them!

go blues

Reply #12
Watching them against the Bombers...They're definitely beatable ;) :D

Reply #13
Membrey made Weitering focus on trying to stop him getting the ball.  That meant Weitering couldn't zone off and take his trademark intercept marks.  It also disrupted our team defence.

Our defence functioned adequately when Weitering was moved forward and I think that shows that Bolton's multiple role approach is working.  However, it does suggest that Bolton should have changed the matchups a little sooner.  As you say EB, Bolton should be looking after Weitering while he is developing.  That said, it is probably important that Bolton gives Weitering a reasonable time to get on top of his opponent.

Our defensive pressure was simply way short of the required level. Our mids, when they have a bad one, have a REALLY bad one....

Need to pick up 2 or 3 more quality mids.....maybe a mature ager even.

And quick is nice but being able to get your hands on the pill is better!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #14
Boys just need to crack in and leave nothing on the field. Saints game was a little aberration going by the season performance so I expect them to give GWS a fright.