Skip to main content
Topic: Opening game now at Princes Park! (Read 1982 times) previous topic - next topic

Opening game now at Princes Park!

It seems that the pressure on the AFL to move our opening game against Collingwood from Olympic Park to Princes Park has had the desired effect:

Having refused to move men's games to bigger venues to deal with capacity demands, the AFL has done just with that with its women's league, at the first opportunity.

The league announced on Monday that the historic AFLW opener between Collingwood and Carlton on Friday week would be moved from the Magpies' training ground - Olympic Park Oval - to be held under lights at the Blues' traditional home of Ikon Park - formerly Princes Park.

Fairfax Media revealed on Sunday that the league was considering a move due to concerns that too many fans would be turned away from the Olympic Boulevard venue, which has almost no seats and a standing capacity of around 5000.

Ikon Park's capacity since its latest redevelopment is around 22,000.

AFL general manager of game and market development, Simon Lethlean - who has overseen much of the planning for the women's league - explained that the decision was made to prevent fans being turned away at the gates.

"All footy fans who want to see the opening AFLW match will now have the opportunity to do so at Ikon Park," Lethlean said.

"The move ensures no one will miss out as Ikon Park offers greater capacity.

"It is fantastic the new AFLW competition has so much momentum and interest. The AFLW opening round is an historic occasion and I'm looking forward to seeing the players in action from February 3."

The match,which will be broadcast live on Channel Seven and Fox Footy, will now start at 7:45pm - and remains free of charge, as do all AFLW matches other than those that serve as curtain raisers to men's pre-season matches.

Carlton become the first named club on the fixture list given it is now a Blues' home game.

I'm not sure whether I'll be able to make it but it would be great to see our girls create history  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball