Skip to main content
Topic: Welcome to CSC: 2017 (Read 20027 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Welcome to CSC: 2017

Reply #15
My name is David and DJC represents "David: Just Carlton" (it should really be D:JC!)

My great grandparents lived in Lygon Street, behind what is now a gelateria.  They became Carlton supporters on arrival in Australia (I think it was compulsory for folk who lived in the suburb) in 1888.  They came from Staffordshire but the family had lived in the Lakes District for around 5,000 years before moving.  I'm an archaeologist so I take great interest in human settlement patterns and migration.

I grew up in Coburg which was in Carlton's zone and had lots of contact with Carlton players through my older brothers, footy club pie nights, etc.  Brent Crosswell was a regular visitor at our home during his first few years in Melbourne.

I started going to the footy when I was about ten and I used to wear a Carlton jumper with "2" on the back.  We had a spot under the Heatley stand stairs and I can remember the crowd hurling good-natured abuse at Pig-Iron Bob as he walked up the stairs.  Needless to say, John Nicholls is my favourite player but I have been lucky to see so many great players over the years - not to mention a reasonable number of premierships although I wouldn't mind another in the next few years.

The game that remains fixed in my memory is a victory over Richmond in the night footy competition at Albert Park.  It was notable because Ron Barassi knocked the stuffing out of Roger Dean and turned our fortunes around.  Footy was a simpler, more brutal game then.  When I was a little older, standing in the outer, scoffing a few beers and pies, and queuing at the urinals in between watching legends like Doull, Jesaulenko, Swan McKay, Percy Jones, Wallsy, Perovic and many others do their thing was the best way to spend a Saturday arvo.

I have been a regular on this site for a few years now and I find it really informative and entertaining.  I'm a little disappointed that we have lost some of the stalwarts from years gone by but the discussions are still lively and reflect diverse views on everything from Mick Malthouse to the POTUS.

I'd like to welcome our new members and encourage them to have a say.  We've established that no-one here knows anything about footy so let your thoughts be known; they will add to knowledge  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #16
My name is David and DJC represents "David: Just Carlton" (it should really be D:JC!)

My great grandparents lived in Lygon Street, behind what is now a gelateria.  They became Carlton supporters on arrival in Australia (I think it was compulsory for folk who lived in the suburb) in 1888.  They came from Staffordshire but the family had lived in the Lakes District for around 5,000 years before moving.  I'm an archaeologist so I take great interest in human settlement patterns and migration.

I grew up in Coburg which was in Carlton's zone and had lots of contact with Carlton players through my older brothers, footy club pie nights, etc.  Brent Crosswell was a regular visitor at our home during his first few years in Melbourne.

I started going to the footy when I was about ten and I used to wear a Carlton jumper with "2" on the back.  We had a spot under the Heatley stand stairs and I can remember the crowd hurling good-natured abuse at Pig-Iron Bob as he walked up the stairs.  Needless to say, John Nicholls is my favourite player but I have been lucky to see so many great players over the years - not to mention a reasonable number of premierships although I wouldn't mind another in the next few years.

The game that remains fixed in my memory is a victory over Richmond in the night footy competition at Albert Park.  It was notable because Ron Barassi knocked the stuffing out of Roger Dean and turned our fortunes around.  Footy was a simpler, more brutal game then.  When I was a little older, standing in the outer, scoffing a few beers and pies, and queuing at the urinals in between watching legends like Doull, Jesaulenko, Swan McKay, Percy Jones, Wallsy, Perovic and many others do their thing was the best way to spend a Saturday arvo.

I have been a regular on this site for a few years now and I find it really informative and entertaining.  I'm a little disappointed that we have lost some of the stalwarts from years gone by but the discussions are still lively and reflect diverse views on everything from Mick Malthouse to the POTUS.

I'd like to welcome our new members and encourage them to have a say.  We've established that no-one here knows anything about footy so let your thoughts be known; they will add to knowledge  :)
You certainly got to see a golden era for Carlton DJC with some of the greatest players (ours that is) the game has ever seen. I envy you and others who have also.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #17
Gointocarlton: The handle comes from the good old days when every star player from other clubs were always "going to Caaaaarltn".
Name: Nando
Heritage: Italian (but Aussie from cradle to grave)
Moto: "you can barrack for whoever you like....as long as its Carlton"
Favorite quote: "we are Carlton, f--- the rest" (I know there were alot of people who didnt like it when Stick said that, I personally loved it!)
Favorite game: 99 Prelim
2nd Favorite Game: 95 Granny
Favorite All Time Carlton Player: Cant name one, Andrew Mckay and Kade Simpson are me two all timers which I cant split. Why? Not superstars of the comp but ever reliable, team first, ruthless on the field, gave 120% week in week out, dire defenders (close to my heart), only those in the inner sanctum know their true worth and importance to the team, play(ed) for the jumper. Doull would have been the same I'm sure but these two combine old school qualities into the modern era. Blokes like that are the heart and soul of your club
Favorite Other Sports: All sport except anything American. I'd rather m--------- with a cheese grater than watch anything that's American sport.
Most hated team: Cheats FC by the length of the The Nullabor.
Favorite Ground: The G
Least Favorite Ground: Etihad
Least Favorite Ground back in the Day: Viccy Park
PS I also started on the other site and migrated to this one. I started in the days of Synbad, Massive, Navy Andrew (or was he this site?) and another maniac starting with J who's handle escapes me. Very colorful days they were.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #18
I couldn't let that one pass Baggers.......one out of left field for most Blues supporters in recent history.  A Tassie boy, a hundred gamer by the time he was 25 & from all reports a heart the size of Phar Lap.  Must have ripped the guts out of the club when he tragically lost his life.  Deserves to be mentioned more than he does.  Well done mate.

He was my first sporting hero! The first game I saw him in I just watched him all arvo (turned out to be one of his last games). He was brilliant and such a tragedy when he died in that car accident. I was only a kid but I was inconsolable. You're right, he deserves far more acknowledgment.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #19
When my folks first came to Melbourne in the 1960's they stayed in Parkville because it was cheap.  I can remember the cobbled lanes and we would walk to the footy using these as short cuts.  On the Princes Hill side was a lane and dad would always point at a high woodem gate and say "Jezza lives there".  In the same area was a woman called Molly Malone and she had a caustic tank and we used to take windows and doors to her and get the paint stripped off... she also had a cockatoo that used to scream obscenities at pedestrians walking past.  Does anybody remember that?

Later we moved to Coburg and Wallsy was a teacher at school - Carlton North P.S. - the players were really embedded in the local community back then.  Sometimes you would see players catching trams etc to and from training and games etc.

We then moved to
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #20
PS I also started on the other site and migrated to this one. I started in the days of Synbad, Massive, Navy Andrew (or was he this site?) and another maniac starting with J who's handle escapes me. Very colorful days they were.

Ha..yeah....big fan of Denis Pagan was Massive......
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #21
Welcome to CSC Jonesy (new member today) hope you enjoy our little community  :)

Reply #22
Great idea.

Started barracking for the mighty bluebaggers when my dad dragged me along to games in the sixties.

Early favourite players: Gary Crane, Ian Robertson (great exponent of the drop kick), Ian Collins (I had #19 on my jumper and tried to wipe out opposition players - like Collo did - when I used to play the game).

Best football memory: getting a stiff neck from sitting in one of the front rows (between the goal posts) at the Ponsford end during the 1972 GF and repeatedly watching the ball sail over my head as the Tiggers copped their just deserts.

Best player and inspirational coach: John Nicholls.

Best memory: Dragging my two sons along to games to keep the history repeating.

Reply #23
Great to read so many posters stories. A lot of deep rooted Carlton passion here.

Also a welcome to Ryanscott who joined us yesterday. Happy posting mate  :)

Reply #24
Great to read so many posters stories. A lot of deep rooted Carlton passion here.

Also a welcome to Ryanscott who joined us yesterday. Happy posting mate  :)

I thought Ryanscott was some sort of spambot, judging by his 2 posts yesterday, both of which have disappeared.

Apologies if he's real.

Reply #25

I'm Thryleon (real name Theo)

Carlton follower since 1982 when I was born.
Member of this site since I can't remember but Judd hadn't joined us at that stage.

Ive been a Carlton supporter since I can remember.

Favouite player: Diesel Williams/SOS/Sticks/Kouta/Fev/Judd
Favourite current player: Patrick Cripps
Favourite coach: Parkin
Favourite game: 1995 Grand final
Favourite H&A game : Ill go with the 94 point belting of Essendon.

Favourite other sport:Soccer

bonus stuff: 

I fondly remember meeting at Cafe "notties" Notturno for lunch before a game at Princes Park.
99 Preliminary final
2013 final against Richmond

I have been a paying member for 10 straight seasons now.  Time flies even when you arent winning flags.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #26
G'day, I am crashlander, sometimes known as Stephen. :)
I've been on this site (and a few others) for some years now. I joined because I was desperate to talk about Carlton's recruiting and my wife wouldn't know Alex Jesaulenko from Alexander III of Macedon.

I found out recently that my great great uncle played for Carlton back in about 1868, a young bloke named Azzopardi with Maltese roots who had a strong Scottish accent. I was impressed. We've been Carlton supporters ever since.

I'm a moderator around here now. I've been a member of Carlton since 1974. I was 3 (1964) when Carlton had their worst season to that point. It was then that I decided to follow the family tradition. My father, a Hawthorn supporter, was horrified. By the time I was actively going to games, we were damn good. In fact, the first game I saw live was at the MCG when Jezza kicked his 100th goal for the season against Melbourne.

Collingwood and Essendon head my faecal pantheon. Richmond tried hard for supremacy: I will never forgive them for the 1973 GF, the first  saw live. However, the Cheats and the Meat Pies still managed to drag their way to their present place.

I don't think I have a single favourite player. I grew up in a great time and saw many of the true superstars play. I also used to watch the U19s when I could, as I was fascinated by our recruiting even then. One of my former work mates, Scott Langan, found it amazing that I could remember seeing him waltz around in our U19s as a 16 year old. I also recall Ange Christou walking around Arden St after we had just lost in the U19s, wearing a Collingwood Guernsey. Yes, he was an ignorant kid back then, unaware that his future was in Blue. :)

I like David Parkin as a coach. I heard him speak any number of times live. He could motivate me to walk through walls. I heard Tom Hafey speak also: he couldn't have made me get out of bed even if I wanted to wake up. (He was a great coach: the number demonstrate it, but he never got on with intellectuals, and I am probably an intellectual. :) I am a Maths/Chemistry/Physics teacher.)

My favourite games are many: the 1970 GF was amazing. The 1999 PF also holds pride of place. However, the H&A game I remember best was at Windy Hill. We kicked 14 goals in the 2nd quarter, which lasted about 40 minutes with all of the goals and brawls. Swan McKay got reported after some Essendon thuggery. It stimulated him into kicking 8 goals that day.

I am about as Aussie as you can get. My last foreign born ancestor landed here in the 1880's work in the Beaconsfield Gold Mine from Cornwall. I have Scottish, English, Irish, Maltese, German and Shetland Islander heritage, with the earliest arriving in 1802, to be sent to Tasmania.

I have seen some firsts, but one of my favourites is the AFLW initial game between Carlton and Collingwood. A great occasion.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #27
Loved every bit of that Crash  :)

Reply #29
Hi Guys & Girls

Im 32 and been living in Australia 5 years (feel in love with footy 3 years ago)

Been posting on here 24hours

Best memory was my first win vs st kilda in 2015, Patrick Cripps made me fall in love with the game, the atmosphere the hits the marks after seeing soccer for 30 plus years it was so much of an eye opener

Favourite Current player, Kreuzer or Cripps

Past Player (not many to choose from as so recent) but Juddy was a class apart

Visit about 7 matches per year, and growing yearly so if you ever in need of someone to tag along hit me up

hopefully i can enjoy the last few weeks of the season with the blues in the finals where they belong