Skip to main content
Topic: What are your expectations for 2017? (Read 25563 times) previous topic - next topic

What are your expectations for 2017?

For a club to make the progression to the top of the tree, they must have a clear understanding of where their playing list stands, both in regards to their ideal model of a premiership team, but also in comparison to the competition. If they fail to do either of these things, I am not sure how they can make the correct list management decisions.

So with that in mind, I started to wonder about KPIs and expectations for 2017. My assessment of our list last year was of one that was unlikely to achieve much at all this year and that the results would likely not be enough to show it was building towards that flag.  I felt we were far enough away that the quickest way was to have pain this year (and quite possibly next) and trade out the currency we did have to to build a completely different looking list.

I accept the club quite obviously felt differently, but to me, that means that the club does get to be beaten around this year and there are absolutely no excuses for the club to not be taking definable steps forward from 2016. Rebuilding your list from the ground and getting beaten up is acceptable. Trying to be a competitive AFL team and getting beaten up is not.

So whilst my predictions are for a grim season of between about 2-5 wins, I think my expectation  is rightly much higher based on the club's list management team and coaching staff.

Carlton finished with 7 wins and in 14th position last year. It was considered to have a lot of young players who should be better this year and it chose to hold onto most players in last years trade period. It must be therefore reasonable to suggest that the benchmark for a "PASS" this year must  be

9th-12th with about 9-11 wins.
The club MUST make that progression to give it the platform to make the step back into finals the following season.

So forget your predictions (well not really), but I am more interested in your expectations.

What does Carlton need to do to meet your expectations and satisfy you that those in charge are taking the club in the right direction?
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Re: What are your expectations for 2017?

Reply #1
I'd like to see consolidation and evolution :
- I want to see the back 6 repelling attacks on a consistent basis. I want to see them well drilled, well organized, never confused.
- I want to see a lot more focus on attack and scoring. I want to see better entry into the F50. I want us to own the corridor more.
- I want us to see have a more organized front 6. I want the balance on talls and smalls in the F50 done right. I want to see players played to their strengths, e.g Cas in the goal square, as I've said before. Get some crumbers in there who are good goal sneaks e.g LeBois
- I want to see more support for Cripps.
- I want to see more evidence of Bolton's match day tactical nous.
- I want to see a lot more more run and carry, a lot more breaking with speed and structure from a stoppage. 

There's plenty of others, but that will do for now.

Reply #2
For the sake of unity and club cohesion we need to create an environment where there is no room for folks to start doubting we are on the right track.
That means we have to show real signs of progress.
Some see that in terms of improved on-field efforts....green shoots.
I believe that's a little too intangible and that it has to be progress in terms of games won and ladder positions.
Its why I believe last place would be a disaster...it's because of the detrimental effect it would have on our confidence and unity.
Once the cracks appear in a clubs path we all know how quickly they widen and once that starts it's hard to reverse that process....only success stops that!

So I'm with MIO
Not expecting finals but..... 9th to 12th
9-10 wins.

If all the things Paul mentions come into play that's not unrealistic.

Reply #3
Lods - I wasn't thinking so  much in W/L, mainly because I can't see us putting together 4 quarters of the sort of things I'm hoping for. If we can play one or two full quarters here and there with those things I refer to, that's probably about as much as we can expect IMO.

I'd be pretty chuffed with 9 or 10 wins, but I reckon that's a big ask.

Reply #4
Lods - I wasn't thinking so  much in W/L, mainly because I can't see us putting together 4 quarters of the sort of things I'm hoping for. If we can play one or two full quarters here and there with those things I refer to, that's probably about as much as we can expect IMO.

I'd be pretty chuffed with 9 or 10 wins, but I reckon that's a big ask.

The results would come on the back of the things you mentioned though Paul.
9-10 is a fair ask but only a couple more than what we achieved last year.

Sustain the effort for a couple of extra games and we're there.

Reply #5
I'm expecting a middle six finish, probably 9th to 12th, with 9 to 11 wins.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #6
The results would come on the back of the things you mentioned though Paul.
9-10 is a fair ask but only a couple more than what we achieved last year.

Sustain the effort for a couple of extra games and we're there.

Well, since you put it like that..............

No, I'd prefer to temper my expectations and then be pleasantly surprised, rather than vice versa.

Reply #7
I'll be happy if we can beat Freo and the Lions (at home) and pull off a stunning upset against the scum, giving us three wins for year.  Anything else is a bonus.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #8
I expect unbiased and fully fair umpiring ALL year during ALL of our games for the FULL 120mins.  >:(

What I expect and what is delivered are always two completely things ::)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #9
My prediction is 2-5 wins........expectations to beat Essendon well at least once and to be the team that finishes the coaching career of Nathan Buckley and Damian Hardwick by beating Collingwood and Richmond respectively in the return matches...
And I expect to be competitive with effort in most games and only have a couple of blowout games where we get belted...

Reply #10
I accept the club quite obviously felt differently, but to me, that means that the club does get to be beaten around this year and there are absolutely no excuses for the club to not be taking definable steps forward from 2016. Rebuilding your list from the ground and getting beaten up is acceptable. Trying to be a competitive AFL team and getting beaten up is not.

You may remember that i was in favour of your 'radical plan'.

However, because the club failed to follow said plan, doesn't automatically mean that you can assume it was their own doing. It takes 2 to tango.
You may also remember that despite being in favour of your 'radical plan', i suggested that it was unlikely to happen.....at least to that extent. Reason being - It takes 2 to tango.

Simply, nobody was really buying what we were selling. We did well to cash in with what we had.

So for that reason, i don't think the club deserves to be blasted if we don't rise up the ladder as your suggested expectations predict.

Reply #11
The past 20 years as a Blues supporter have taught me not to harbour expectations. Just hopes.  ;)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #12
I'm not expecting a great deal of improvement this season.
While ladder position is not so important at this stage, I would like to see us win at least as many games as in 2016, and see us kick higher scores and improve our midfield and F50 entries.

We are only into our second year of a major rebuild, including a complete changeover of coaching staff.
Ladder position will become more important from 2018 onwards.

I expect to see the 2017 trade and draft periods improve our KPF and ruck stocks considerably.

I also want to see the younger brigade earning the right to play AFL by performing on the training track and in the VFL.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #13
You may remember that i was in favour of your 'radical plan'.

However, because the club failed to follow said plan, doesn't automatically mean that you can assume it was their own doing. It takes 2 to tango.
You may also remember that despite being in favour of your 'radical plan', i suggested that it was unlikely to happen.....at least to that extent. Reason being - It takes 2 to tango.

Simply, nobody was really buying what we were selling. We did well to cash in with what we had.

So for that reason, i don't think the club deserves to be blasted if we don't rise up the ladder as your suggested expectations predict.

How have you drawn that conclusion? Apart from Gibbs, did we have any negotiations around Murphy, Kreuzer, Thomas, Casboult etc?

Without us knowing either way, I consider it irrelevant. If the list managers have done such a terrible job that we have no one that other clubs are after, then that is worse.

No I think the fact the club is choosing to keep it's established players means they believe they are an important part of this process and that is okay I can wear that. But the biggest reasons for not going all out that I heard were that we could not afford to do that, we couldn't go that far backwards, the club would get smashed, the memberships would drop, the sponsors would leave etc etc...

Okay... well now I expect the club to ensure that we are in fact progressing, if last year was year N in the rebuild, then we are N+1 now and that has to bring progression or they are at fault. If they do, great I am on board, if we don't then they need to answer some serious questions on how they are going to bring this club to the top.

As supporters we absolutely should EXPECT success.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #14
MIO, I just want to clarify - the equation as you see it, is thus :

- if the club traded out "everyone", and the list was 90%? new or newish recruits, then you could tolerate a non linear progression up / down the ladder, and after a few years of up/down, then leading to success ?

- because the club hung onto its stars, and only went for a "partial" rebuild, then progression up the ladder must be linear only, moving slowly upwards but never downwards ?