Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 5 : Pre Game thread - Port Adelaide V Carlton (Read 22661 times) previous topic - next topic

2017 Round 5 : Pre Game thread - Port Adelaide V Carlton

Righto, haven't been a fan of us playing Friday night of late. I expect us to put up a good show though.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Re: 2017 Round 5 : Pre Game thread - Port Adelaide V Carlton

Reply #1
Port by 6 goals.

Reply #2
Watch the 'rotation of our youth' policy come into play. Some of our 'reserve' soldiers will be used for this one to give some of our young players s break. 

Reply #3
Watch the 'rotation of our youth' policy come into play. Some of our 'reserve' soldiers will be used for this one to give some of our young players s break.

Will be one of the things that interests me this year.

I think we're probably at the limit of young bodies we can throw in without it being reflected in scoreboard thrashings.

New kids may come in but probably at the expense of other young players.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #4
Growth and development vs an ugly scoreboard, I'd expect the trend of playing youth to continue and the likes of Polson, McKay to get games in the next few weeks.
There is a limit of how many young bodies you can play but I have the feeling the coach is reluctant to play players who in his mind have had their cards marked for the future. Only with a lot of injuries do I expect the likes of Armfield, Boekhorst, Graham, Jones, Jakcsh to get games...and then as we saw with Kerridge and Palmer they wont be in the team long if its keeping in form youth out...

Reply #5
Growth and development vs an ugly scoreboard, I'd expect the trend of playing youth to continue and the likes of Polson, McKay to get games in the next few weeks.
There is a limit of how many young bodies you can play but I have the feeling the coach is reluctant to play players who in his mind have had their cards marked for the future. Only with a lot of injuries do I expect the likes of Armfield, Boekhorst, Graham, Jones, Jakcsh to get games...and then as we saw with Kerridge and Palmer they wont be in the team long if its keeping in form youth out...
Spot on EB, I reckon a line in the sand has been drawn by BB and co. whereby its youth first, spare tyres second. Loving the young kids having a decent  crack, that Zac Fisher can bloody well play.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #6

Overall I think you are dead right EB. The non strategics will only be used sparingly as cover for youth rotations where necessary. Having said that I think we may see one or two this week.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #7
I reckon the boys will get on the road, bond well and chalk up win no. 2. PA are nothing special, just another team playing ok for now for a coach under the pump. Lets see how long it lasts.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #8
I reckon the boys will get on the road, bond well and chalk up win no. 2. PA are nothing special, just another team playing ok for now for a coach under the pump. Lets see how long it lasts.

Agree.

Definitely a winnable game.

Boys were out of legs in GC game, after a taxing game in the wet against the cheats.

Should be better prepared for this one - If our defensive structure holds up and the midfield group plays well we will go very close.

Reply #9
Agree.

Definitely a winnable game.

If our defensive structure holds up and the midfield group plays well we will go very close.

I'm fairly happy with our defense and midfield.. ( I say fairly )

What about our forward line.... ?   Can we kick a winning score... ? Where are our Goals coming from.. ?

I'm not happy with our forward line... our Goal Scoring power is not there and I can't see 10 - 12 goals getting it done .... :(

Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #10
I'm fairly happy with our defense and midfield.. ( I say fairly )

What about our forward line.... ?   Can we kick a winning score... ? Where are our Goals coming from.. ?

I'm not happy with our forward line... our Goal Scoring power is not there and I can't see 10 - 12 goals getting it done .... :(

Been saying that since the day the rookie draft finished.

Reply #11
Our midfield doesn't bat deep enough at the moment.

But I agree.   We have a lot of eggs in the Harry McKay basket.

Reply #12
Been saying that since the day the rookie draft finished.

I agree Krud but you cant fill all holes in 1 or 2 drafts.

I'm very happy with who we have selected and if you compare the last 2 drafts with the previous 10 we should all be over the moon!

As everyone knows we need 2-3 more mids and a few big forwards wouldn't go astray.

I'm confident we will improve that area in this years draft period. 

Sydney won a lot of games before Buddy arrived without big scoring power. Won a few flags as well. Port are not a top side. We have enough spread to kick a big enough score against them IMO.

Reply #13
I agree Krud but you cant fill all holes in 1 or 2 drafts.

I'm very happy with who we have selected and if you compare the last 2 drafts with the previous 10 we should all be over the moon!

As everyone knows we need 2-3 more mids and a few big forwards wouldn't go astray.

I'm confident we will improve that area in this years draft period. 

Sydney won a lot of games before Buddy arrived without big scoring power. Won a few flags as well. Port are not a top side. We have enough spread to kick a big enough score against them IMO.

Agree with all that. When you look at the GC game, despite all that firepower (Lynch, Wright and the crumbers), we held them bar 5 awfull minutes of footy which allowed them to freewheel out of the middle and stroll into the fwd line (P.S. that advantage paid to Ablett was a shocker and that rule is bigger blight on the game than any other IMO). PA dont have that firepower hence our defence (which I am loving) can hold them if we stick to our structures. Our mids needs to work and concentrate for 120 minutes (not 115, not even 119).
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #14
We need more mids