Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 5 : Pre Game thread - Port Adelaide V Carlton (Read 22639 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 5 : Pre Game thread - Port Adelaide V Carlton

Reply #60
Take your point, but my concern is not the rusted on supporters like yourself (and me), but the young kids. When i was growing up Carlton were successful and therefore was an easy choice. No kids in their right mind would choose the blues now unless forced by parents (such as in my case).

Very true.
Monday mornings in the schoolyard were a time to walk tall if you were a Carlton supporter during my high school years.

You would have felt sorry for the kids that barracked for Footscray, Fitzroy, Melbourne and North....but there weren't any!
There's the danger ;)

Reply #61
Potential Cripps v SPP match up - both young, big bodied WA mids. Hopefully it eventuates. Should be a ripper.

Cripps does have a few kg and about 8cm advantage!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #62
The behaviour towards and lack of support shown by some of our supporters towards Dale Thomas is symptomatic of the losing mentality which has pervaded the club.
Back in the days of our great sides of the 70's and 80's booing a Carlton player would have earned you a broken nose.
We had some also rans back then right enough but the Navy Blue jumper was enough to earn them universal respect from the supporters.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #63
Saw a video on instagram of the boys running out onto the Adelaide Oval for a training session, big crew/squad including:
Kerridge
Armfield
Cunningham
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #64
We put in a very inexperienced team against the Saints in the JLT and it was ugly.  There are a few older heads this time, but still has the potential to be ugly!

Reply #65
He was Booed at the GC game during the intro, on the field and some supporters even after the game just wanted to talk about his game and nothing else.
I'm no fan but I dont hate him and reckon he is trying but I wonder if this weeks rest is about giving him a mental break as well..

I get annoyed with players but the bile directed at Thomas is disgusting.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #66
I don't condone the booing any player (other than drug cheats) but Thomas is, IMO, suffering from "supporters having had a gutful of mediocrity syndrome".  He ain't the only player who gets abuse screamed at him every week.... Rowe (spud!),  White (spud!), Casboult (learn to kick ya clown!), Kerridge (turnover merchant!), Murphy (soft!) and Gibbs (get ya hands dirty jibs!)..... I hear these blokes castigated by these lales all the time but they don't get booed.Thomas has had four years to earn respect through actions...  and hasn't delivered so he has left himself open to criticism.  If he could turn it around I'd fathom the crowd would very quickly jump on his bandwagon.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #67
The behaviour towards and lack of support shown by some of our supporters towards Dale Thomas is symptomatic of the losing mentality which has pervaded the club.
Back in the days of our great sides of the 70's and 80's booing a Carlton player would have earned you a broken nose.
We had some also rans back then right enough but the Navy Blue jumper was enough to earn them universal respect from the supporters.

Yep!

I get annoyed with players but the bile directed at Thomas is disgusting.

Bound by Blue should mean something to supporters.  Some folk may think that Thomas has become a spud but they should remember that he's our spud and treat him with the respect due to a bloke wearing the Navy Blue!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #68
Yep!

Bound by Blue should mean something to supporters.  Some folk may think that Thomas has become a spud but they should remember that he's our spud and treat him with the respect due to a bloke wearing the Navy Blue!
@ DJC and cimm1979 Well said
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #69

Well said.

I've never booed one of ours, ever, but over the past 15 years I've muttered under my breath a few expletives in relation to the lack of effort and mistakes made by some blokes who've donned the great navy blue and insulted it (with their unCFClike performance). I want to love every bloke who represents us, but if I reckon he's letting the side down I sure as hell will forget loyalty to that individual and voice criticism on this forum, with mates... but never publicly at the ground (booing). In fact, Mrs Baggers and I both don't like booing ...full stop. As much as I would like to boo cheats.com.au I wouldn't, though if I had a chance to vomit on them, I would  ;D
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #70
We better do well in this game otherwise we will never get a Friday game. ::)
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #71
I still reckon we will win.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #72
Carlton

B: Tom Williamson, Caleb Marchbank, Lachie Plowman.
HB: Sam Docherty, Sam Rowe, Kade Simpson.
C: Ed Curnow, Patrick Cripps, Cameron Polson.
HF: Jarrod Pickett, Levi Casboult, Charlie Curnow.
F: Jack Silvagni, Jacob Weitering, Matthew Wright.
R: Andrew Phillips, Bryce Gibbs, Marc Murphy.
Int: Zac Fisher, Sam Petrevski-Seton, Harrison Macreadie, Simon White.

Emg: Dennis Armfield, Sam Kerridge, David Cuningham.

In: Cameron Polson, Andrew Phillips.

Out: Dale Thomas (Soreness), Matthew Kreuzer (Soreness).

New: Cameron Polson

Port Adelaide

B: Darcy Byrne-Jones, Tom Clurey, Dan Houston.
HB: Matthew Broadbent, Tom Jonas, Hamish Hartlett.
C: Brad Ebert, Ollie Wines, Jared Polec.
HF: Robbie Gray, Justin Westhoff, Chad Wingard.
F: Sam Gray, Charlie Dixon, Jackson Trengove.
R: Paddy Ryder, Travis Boak, Sam Powell-Pepper.
Int: Aaron Young, Karl Amon, Jarman Impey, Jasper Pittard.

Emg: Brett Eddy, Aidyn Johnson, Brendon Ah Chee.

In: Paddy Ryder.

Out: Matthew White (Omitted)

We do have a very young team out there!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #73
As much as I would like to boo cheats.com.au I wouldn't, though if I had a chance to vomit on them, I would  ;D

I remember Essendon supporters waving wooden spoons at us at the MCG back when we first hit bottom, I was dumbfounded to think that large numbers of adults had purchased these items and carried them to the ground with the intention of belittling the supporters and members of a rival football club.
They only belittled their own club, which is what our own supporters do whenever they boo Dale Thomas.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #74
Congratulations Cam Polson on a well deserved debut.
Wear the Navy Blue with pride and passion.
Can't wait to see Cam in action with the baby Blues.
Do us proud.

All the best to Flippa on his return from LTI.

Go Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.