Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 5 : Pre Game thread - Port Adelaide V Carlton (Read 22506 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 5 : Pre Game thread - Port Adelaide V Carlton

Reply #75
I remember Essendon supporters waving wooden spoons at us at the MCG back when we first hit bottom, I was dumbfounded to think that large numbers of adults had purchased these items and carried them to the ground with the intention of belittling the supporters and members of a rival football club.
They only belittled their own club, which is what our own supporters do whenever they boo Dale Thomas.

I have no words for this. Shame on these people :o
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #76
I remember Essendon supporters waving wooden spoons at us at the MCG back when we first hit bottom, I was dumbfounded to think that large numbers of adults had purchased these items and carried them to the ground with the intention of belittling the supporters and members of a rival football club.
They only belittled their own club, which is what our own supporters do whenever they boo Dale Thomas.

I was at that game. Just another reinforcement of my hatred of those ferals.

I really only ever boo the umps if they make a real howler, and some opposition players in extreme situations, e.g. I did loudly boo Milburn off the ground when he pole-axed SOS back in 2001.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #77
Port backline looks a bit small and rubbery.....unlike their centre and half forward line.....Gray and Wingard are ultra dangerous for us, we are very slow learners with players who are repeat game winners, hope Bolton has some plans for these two and not the same players who get burnt on them like in previous games.
Aaron Young is another underestimated player who needs a tight tag, gets too many easy goals...

Reply #78
Port backline looks a bit small and rubbery.....unlike their centre and half forward line.....Gray and Wingard are ultra dangerous for us, we are very slow learners with players who are repeat game winners, hope Bolton has some plans for these two and not the same players who get burnt on them like in previous games.
Aaron Young is another underestimated player who needs a tight tag, gets too many easy goals...
Spot on EB. IMO, we dont need to do alot wrong to throw it away, but if we play with intensity and stick to a plan, we can win, I simply dont rate Port. They hit their straps a fews years ago and I dont think they will get any better.
Our last 20 games against them read as follows

LLLDLLWLWWWWWLWWLLWW

Bookies are offering $7.50, I'd like a piece of that.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #79
The elephant in the room being ignored.

Etihad stadium

Kreuzer and Daisy have been fine in terms of condition but one match there and neither are available the following week.

In any case good luck to Phillips and Polson.

His name was Cameron polson.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #80
Kreuse and Daisy out with " soreness ".

I wonder how long Cripps can keep going without some extra help. Him and  Murph are carrying a huge load right now.
Pre-draft there was a lot of talk on here about getting some hard bodies in to help him. didn't happen.

I'm all for playing the kids, but half a dozen of them at once?????

An article on the AFL website is saying Cripps isn't playing like he has in the last couple of seasons.
 No wonder. he needs some bloody help or he'll go down.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong, but Port by around 10 goals would not surprise me.

I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #81
I hope it keeps raining.  Might even things up.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #82
I hope it keeps raining.  Might even things up.

Now that would be a plus.

We are a 50-50 chance if that happens.  :D
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #83
Now that would be a plus.

We are a 50-50 chance if that happens.  :D

Yep, the kids are not as precious about getting muddy compared to the seasoned AFL players who develop a penchant for roof covered bowling greens!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #84
Don't be surprised if there aren't a few more changes if it keeps raining.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #86

Nor me, Port are no more than an average side but this Carlton team is the most inexperienced I've seen by a long way.
Our young guns in Cripps and Weitering have only just been going, we sadly lack fire-power up front and our only class ruckman is missing, 10 goals won't surprise me at all and it could get worse than that.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #87
Have some faith kiddies, PA are not that good.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #88
Cripps will really miss SpecialK, as a duo they make a significant contribution to our clearances due to SpecialK's 2nd efforts. Phillips is someway off making that level of 2nd effort.

SpecialK doesn't stop, there is no hesitation between the hit out and the continuation of play, Kreuzer and Mumford are the two best in the league in this regard and by some margin.

Phillips is OK but not nearly as good as Kreuzer.

Most rucks hesitate momentarily to see who is where and what is happening, just a fraction of a second. Casboult is particularly bad at hesitating, it takes him a second or so to get his bearings and decide what to do next. Jones was about the same but looked better with the NBs in the first game, I won't judge him on last week as that was against kids.

Gorringe is not a ruckmen, he's miles away, he is more like another Rowe in the making.

Korcheck cannot be judged, he's so raw he doesn't know what to do even when he's got his bearings. Which is odd because Ex.Basketballers are usually quite good in traffic. I think Korcheck should really have gone down the Rugby route!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #89
Kreuse and Daisy out with " soreness ".

I wonder how long Cripps can keep going without some extra help. Him and  Murph are carrying a huge load right now.
Pre-draft there was a lot of talk on here about getting some hard bodies in to help him. didn't happen.

I'm all for playing the kids, but half a dozen of them at once?????

An article on the AFL website is saying Cripps isn't playing like he has in the last couple of seasons.
 No wonder. he needs some bloody help or he'll go down.

Glad you agree we needed/need to get Cripps another big bodied mid or two to help him out, a few of us said that pre-draft but SOS and crew
didnt think it was a priority....Cripps gets a hard tag every week and I expect Port to do the same, I think we are a chance but I would expect Ryder to do well and give Port first use
especially with Philips playing his first senior game for the year. Port are not that great down back IMO and I think we will be competitive providing we convert our chances....