Skip to main content
Topic: Goaltracker (Read 52727 times) previous topic - next topic

Goaltracker

A lot of discussion pre-season centred around our goalkicking. A lot of folk were cautious in suggesting any improvement in ladder position because of our lack of forward power.

We have to do better than last year. But how much better can we do?
We may have done a goal kicking prediction pre-season but now the season is underway things are probably a bit clearer.

After 4 rounds we’re eight goals up on last season (including one match in a mud-bath not conducive to high scores). Not a bad effort.  Our leading goal-kicker is a bit ahead of last year’s pace……

Carlton 2016
Goals 224 -Behinds 224-Points 1568
After 4 rounds 34.40

Leading Goal-kicker- Matthew Wright 22

Carlton 2017
After 4 rounds 42.40

Leading Goal-kickers
Wright 6
Silvagni 5
Casboult 5
Weitering 4

But after 4  rounds do people want to have a stab at where it will finish up….
How many goals will the team kick?
Who’ll be the leading goal-kicker?
How many goals will win the Carlton goal-kicking?

Re: Goaltracker

Reply #1
Leading GK Casboult (48)
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #2
Goals : 245
Leading goal kicker : Matty Wright
Goal kicking award : As above, 30 goals

Reply #3
Team: 280.290

Casboult: 40
Murphy: 30
Wright: 30
Silvagni: 30
C Curnow: 20
Weitering: 15 (I think he'll spend time in defence)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #4
Team 230.250
Wright 30
Silvagni 25
Casboult 20

Reply #5
Goals - 258
Leading goal kickers
Casboult 42
Wright 28
SOJ 28
Pickett 22
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #6
267- 257

Casboult 38
Wright 28
Jack S. 22
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #7
264 - 264

The Bolt 35
Wright 34
Weitering 33
SOJ 28
Pickett 22

The most encouraging sign for me so far is the 2 goals per game better average than this time last year.  Talk was we were going to try and be more attacking this year, and so far so good.  It also helps that Cas is kicking straighter, SOJ is building on last year, and I think Pickett will kick a few bags this year, but also kick none a fair few times.  I'd prefer we had half a dozen guys kicking 30 than 1 guy kicking 100.

Reply #8
Just backing up the point Kruddler and others have been arguing regarding our firepower (a point I've actually been arguing against)

Historically to play finals we've needed goal totals in excess of 300.

Around the 250-260 mark, where most of the predictions are occurring, you're probably looking bottom four, (maybe bottom 2)....unless your defence is very very good.

At the moment we're not even tracking to get that many, more like a 230-240 total...so time to get a wriggle on...

With that in mind, and sticking with a prediction of a 9th to 12th finish, (for the moment :D)

Goals : 280
Leading goal kicker : Silvagni
Goal kicking award : Silvagni 42 goals

Reply #9
It's interesting.

2017 goal averages for the top teams are generally up, but our goal average is roughly the same as 2016.

For 2017 if we average 12 per game(264) we will be lower half of the ladder. If we average 10 per game(220) we would be dead last by the end of the season.

So far we are 3rd last for goals scored, only because Collingwood and Hawthorn have had inexplicable drops and are behind us!

At this stage we are the only bottom five team from 2016 that hasn't improved in goal average!

Yet to most fans we appear to be playing better football!

@Lods, great minds think alike! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10
@Lods, great minds think alike! ;D

18 seconds apart ;D

We are actually two goals a game up on our first four games of last year after 4 rounds.
So we have improved our goal average a bit.

That really bad weather day against Essendon probably knocked us back another 3 or  4 goals.

Currently we're a tick over 10 a game.
The interesting part will be whether we pick up that average per game as the season progresses.
If we finish up  averaging around 12-13 per game we'll have improved significantly on 2016.

Reply #12
18 seconds apart ;D

We are actually two goals a game up on our first four games of last year after 4 rounds.
So we have improved our goal average a bit.

That really bad weather day against Essendon probably knocked us back another 3 or  4 goals.

Currently we're a tick over 10 a game.
The interesting part will be whether we pick up that average per game as the season progresses.
If we finish up  averaging around 12-13 per game we'll have improved significantly on 2016.

You didn't touch any wood did you.  :-[

Reply #14
We won in rd 5 last year but we only kicked the 10. Some junk time goals might make these stats look better but won't tell the true story.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!