Skip to main content
Topic: Congratulations Brianna Davey: inaugural B&F winner (Read 5937 times) previous topic - next topic

Congratulations Brianna Davey: inaugural B&F winner

It was probably a foregone conclusion but Brianna Davey has been awarded Carlton's inaugural AFLW Best & Fairest award with Danielle Hardiman in second place and Alison Downie third.

It's interesting to see key defenders and a ruck in the first three places. 

Well done ladies and let's hope for an improved team performance in 2018.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Re: Congratulations Brianna Davey: inaugural B&F winner

Reply #1
Definitely well deserved. Was surprised that Vescio didn't crack the top 3 though.

Reply #2
Definitely well deserved. Was surprised that Vescio didn't crack the top 3 though.

Well done Bri Davey, she was clearly our best for 2017 so it comes as no surprise.

In regards to Vescio people/supporters love goal kickers, they think goal kickers win games. You read the same bias in the threads on this site, everybody wants our club to recruit a KPF, Forward Ruck or Goal Scoring Midfielder.

True our list lacks that sort of player, but coaches have a very simple principle.

Victory comes from keeping possession of the football, stripping the opponents of possession and not giving them possession. Most of that possession comes from mid-fielders and defenders, forwards tend to dispose of the ball as soon as the opportunity arises!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
In the first game against Collingwood she did this 'No Look' handball that would of made Greg Williams blush! It was special.

Congratulations
Long time lurker few time poster !!

Reply #4
Is she available for the Swans game this week, we could do worse!

It's a pity Kieran Jack is out, Bri could run right through him without losing velocity!

Before I get roasted, I realise there is a physical barrier to all this, but Bri would set a hell of an example to the young blokes about commitment to and intensity at the contest. Even if she did come of second best Bri would still go, because that is the right thing to do!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
It was probably a foregone conclusion but Brianna Davey has been awarded Carlton's inaugural AFLW Best & Fairest award with Danielle Hardiman in second place and Alison Downie third.

It's interesting to see key defenders and a ruck in the first three places. 

Well done ladies and let's hope for an improved team performance in 2018.

Same from me. Let's hope the "bluebelles" go all the way next season.

Reply #6
Congratulations and well done Brianna Davey!

Reply #7
Vescio placing 9th taints the award. In a competition where goals were extremely hard to get she was a stand out.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #8
Well done Bri Davey, she was clearly our best for 2017 so it comes as no surprise.

In regards to Vescio people/supporters love goal kickers, they think goal kickers win games. You read the same bias in the threads on this site, everybody wants our club to recruit a KPF, Forward Ruck or Goal Scoring Midfielder.

True our list lacks that sort of player, but coaches have a very simple principle.

Victory comes from keeping possession of the football, stripping the opponents of possession and not giving them possession. Most of that possession comes from mid-fielders and defenders, forwards tend to dispose of the ball as soon as the opportunity arises!

I'm a huge Vescio fan and was shocked she was so far down the list.

FWIW, she isn't a key forward. She is a small forward that just reads the ball better than everyone else. She can kick straight and uses the ball very well. She uses her body better than 95% of the AFLW players. I gave her votes on numerous occassions and it wasn't always linked to how many goals she kicked. It was effort and smarts.

If i could compare her to a modern day player, it would be Stevie J. She does things others haven't even thought of yet.

Just on Stevie J, and why Vescio might not have got the votes we thought she might, I have a mad Geelong member friend of mine that detests Stevie J. Despite him doing the unthinkable...he makes life harder for his teammates as he's too unpredictable. Perhaps Darcy went a bit rogue with her play and went against team orders of sorts. Ran to the wrong spots, didn't give off the first handball etc. Who knows.

When it comes to players i'd be signing up for next year, i'd write Davey and Vescio down as the 2 top players that need signing up as a priority.

Reply #9
When it comes to players i'd be signing up for next year, i'd write Davey and Vescio down as the 2 top players that need signing up as a priority.

Do clubs have an option to re-sign marquee players or are all up for grabs?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10
Vescio placing 9th taints the award. In a competition where goals were extremely hard to get she was a stand out.

I thought Vescio had a relatively poor season, in part because of the way the games were played.  If I was running the show, I would have tried to get her into the action rather than letting her freeze her buns off and having little impact.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #11
I thought Vescio had a relatively poor season, in part because of the way the games were played.  If I was running the show, I would have tried to get her into the action rather than letting her freeze her buns off and having little impact.

Agreed. Throw her in the middle to get a spark....or a kick when the ball can't get down to her.

Reply #12

Didn't our own voting had Vescio in a four way tie for 2nd, that means she could have been a single vote away from 5th spot!

I would have had Davey clearly 1st, Arnell, Pound and Exon in a coin toss for 2nd, 3rd and 4th, then a blanket over Vescio, Hosking, Downie and Jakobsonn.

Funnily, Hardiman and Loynes I found very consistent but not greatly influential, yet they both polled well.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13
Do clubs have an option to re-sign marquee players or are all up for grabs?

The AFL are still working through all that.

There have been a few changes.
Initially, the comp was going to expand to include every club who tried to get an AFLW license but was knocked back - about 14 or so.
Then, the AFL said it was going to be the status quo - 8 teams.
Last i heard they were going to expand to 10 teams and have a finals system.
Who knows.

In any event, the basic logic was when new teams were coming in, you could keep X amount of players, the rest had to go into the draft so that the new teams could get some talent. Probably with some priority picks included.
I think the magic number was once 10. Who knows where it'll end up.

Essentially the club will opt to keep/re-sign a select group of players and i cannot imagine that Vescio wouldn't make the cut. Especially considering she works at the club and is basically the face of the AFLW team.

Reply #14
Didn't our own voting had Vescio in a four way tie for 2nd, that means she could have been a single vote away from 5th spot!

I would have had Davey clearly 1st, Arnell, Pound and Exon in a coin toss for 2nd, 3rd and 4th, then a blanket over Vescio, Hosking, Downie and Jakobsonn.

Funnily, Hardiman and Loynes I found very consistent but not greatly influential, yet they both polled well.

Exon didn't play enough.
Hardimann missed a game or 2 as well.
Arnell i thought was overated for what she gave us. Solid without being spectacular.
Jakobson was more influential, but less consistent.
Hosking, Loynes, Pound and Keryk were all battering rams that could be relied upon to do the hard things. A lot of their work went largely unnoticed as it was rarely pretty.

Funnily enough, if you read the voting description, getting a 1 vote game meant you 'performed to the standard expected.' So better players are supposedly judged at a higher standard than the others.