Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 7: pre game protestations Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 39858 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 7: pre game protestations Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #15
Reckon jones for sos as the only chance this week. If he is used in similar capacity to the bullants I think he will give kruezer a better chop out than meat and will give grundy something to think about as both he and kruezer can hit the scoreboard when resting forward.

Reckon casboult will be given license to jump at everything up forward which is what we need. When he is rucking we lack the get out kick so if he stays in and around the fed 50 we are far more dangerous
Nice... I feel Levi has alot of confidence at the moment and is enjoying his footy. Keep going please Cas.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #16
There are some things we do need to address:
[1] Grundy usually plays well against us, which gives their mids a huge advantage.
One of the reasons we won against Sydney was because Kreuzer dominated in the ruck, Sinclair got more ball around the ground, but Kreuzer did the things that really made a difference.
Kreuzer has often been below his best against Collingwood, usually because of injury. Thankfully Kreuzer is now playing some of his best football, but I see this as something we need to address.

[2] Collingwood's small forwards get their goals and often play reasonably well against us. We need to make the right match-ups, as the Collingwood small forwards are the guys we need to shut down. They kick inspirational goals when they kick them at all. We want to squash that.

[3] We need to smother their mids like we did Sydney's. It was one of the best defensive efforts our mids have produced and we need to see it again.

Fisher has a hamstring injury. Silvagni will probably miss with a shoulder injury. Weitering has a number of niggles. We cannot guarantee that any of these 3 will come up.
Jones has probably done enough for a go, as he now has some new strings to his bow.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #17
Collingwood, like the Swans, are one of those teams where the whole is distinctly less than the sum of the parts.

Pendles and Sidebottom are still their best players and best playmakers. Both need to be tagged. Curnow E and Kerridge ?.

Greenwood is in the mould of Ling - a very good tagger who can also find the ball and be creative. Will go to Cripps, at least for part of the game. Underrated is Greenwood IMO.

I wonder if Howe will get the job on Cas ? Both very good in the air, but Howe might be a bit too nimble for Cas.

Treloar and Adams ore ok in the midfield, but not up to the level of Pendles and SS. Treloar in particular, has not yet hit full stride, and whilst he covers a lot of ground, his disposal and decision making let him down a little more than they should. I feel we could cover both.

Elliott is still regaining match fitness, so nowhere near his pre-injury form. Ditto Wells, although he looked a little sharper on the weekend.

Moore is their best forward, and dragging him away from the F50 would be a win IMO. Fasolo has the big time yips, and I'd be happy for him to be having the majority of the shots on goal. Overrated, and most of our back line can cover him easily.

Will Varcoe recover in time ? He works hard, and gives them some spark and zip they don't really have elsewhere.

Cox has gone backwards after a promising start. Looks uncoordinated, and makes some dopey decisions. Not worried about him at all.

Barring injuries, and maybe the inclusion of someone like Kerridge to cover their midfield depth, I'd like the same team that played on the weekend, both position and personnel.

Reply #18
Don't think kerridge will come in, not from what I saw anyway.

For balance it's out of jones and Kerr to replace sos. Hard to not put daisy in to replace fisher if he has done a hammy.

Reply #19
Collingwood, like the Swans, are one of those teams where the whole is distinctly less than the sum of the parts.

Pendles and Sidebottom are still their best players and best playmakers. Both need to be tagged. Curnow E and Kerridge ?.

Greenwood is in the mould of Ling - a very good tagger who can also find the ball and be creative. Will go to Cripps, at least for part of the game. Underrated is Greenwood IMO.

I wonder if Howe will get the job on Cas ? Both very good in the air, but Howe might be a bit too nimble for Cas.

Treloar and Adams ore ok in the midfield, but not up to the level of Pendles and SS. Treloar in particular, has not yet hit full stride, and whilst he covers a lot of ground, his disposal and decision making let him down a little more than they should. I feel we could cover both.

Elliott is still regaining match fitness, so nowhere near his pre-injury form. Ditto Wells, although he looked a little sharper on the weekend.

Moore is their best forward, and dragging him away from the F50 would be a win IMO. Fasolo has the big time yips, and I'd be happy for him to be having the majority of the shots on goal. Overrated, and most of our back line can cover him easily.

Will Varcoe recover in time ? He works hard, and gives them some spark and zip they don't really have elsewhere.

Cox has gone backwards after a promising start. Looks uncoordinated, and makes some dopey decisions. Not worried about him at all.

Barring injuries, and maybe the inclusion of someone like Kerridge to cover their midfield depth, I'd like the same team that played on the weekend, both position and personnel.

Pies bat deep in the midfield....dont think we have the players to tag all their better players and will need to back some of our blokes in to match them...
Pendlebury was allowed to run free last season and destroyed us, cant let him play on Cripps and hope for the best like last time, he is just too dangerous, agree on Sidebottom but I'd be tagging Treloar also....
All their taggers work both ways...Greenwood, Adams and Crisp so Gibbs, Murphy  will have to be mindful.....Adams had 27 possies playing on Selwood thats way too many for my liking and he uses the ball well.

I'd play Williamson on Wells who never picks his man up....

Reply #20
Being the Filth, Thomas will come in.
And being a big game BB will want to blood another junior. McKay?
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #21
Being the Filth, Thomas will come in.
And being a big game BB will want to blood another junior. McKay?

Cannot see McKay coming in unless Casboult doesn't come up.

I wouldn't play Casboult, Kreuzer and McKay, they would just get in each others way and I can't see Casboult or Kreuzer getting dropped this week.

The good thing about SoJ, and what we will miss, is that he makes space and knows where and when to lead. Jaksch or Jones could be in for a run, Jaksch did OK down back and might cut it as a sub for Weitering, but the Pies are not blessed with talls so the mix we go for will be interesting.

The filth obviously get Reid back.

Don't be surprised if we see ACoS get a forward run, his size and pace could be damaging off a flank against the filth! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #22
Pies bat deep in the midfield....dont think we have the players to tag all their better players and will need to back some of our blokes in to match them...
Pendlebury was allowed to run free last season and destroyed us, cant let him play on Cripps and hope for the best like last time, he is just too dangerous, agree on Sidebottom but I'd be tagging Treloar also....
All their taggers work both ways...Greenwood, Adams and Crisp so Gibbs, Murphy  will have to be mindful.....Adams had 27 possies playing on Selwood thats way too many for my liking and he uses the ball well.

I'd play Williamson on Wells who never picks his man up....

I reckon that Greenwood will be all over Cripps. He might require a bit of unsociability?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #23
3rd game in 12 days for the Pies, we should go in with every chance to win this.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #24
we should bring in more runners like cunninghham or blokhorest or armfield,we need to stop there run from our fwd line .

Reply #25
I reckon that Greenwood will be all over Cripps. He might require a bit of unsociability?

Cripps is rarely tagged for 2 reasons.

One is very hard to tag a contested beast as they work inside and tagging doesn't have much of an effect except they lose a player around the contest if they do it.

And two is Cripps main negative is as we all know his lack of pace away from the contest so most mids know he will get them inside but they try and hurt us the other way.

Tagging means they lose in both of those situations hence why they wont do it with him IMO.

Murphy on the other hand can be tagged and I think Greenwood will go to him IMO.

They will also pay respect to Doc and Simmo as these ones set up as much of our forward moves as our true mids.

Curnow needs to go to Pendlebury as I reckon Treloar will burn him for pace.

Reply #26
Hard to see anyone being dropped but Silvagni and Fisher might both miss.
Jones could replace Silvagni, he's strong and in good form so he deserves a shot.
Thomas was BOG in the magoos so he's the logical replacement for Fisher who I really rate,  Boekhorst is another option.as well as Kerridge, his disposal is questionable to say the least but his body strength might come in handy against Collingwood.
Shame to see that Dylan Buckley isn't putting his hand up for a game, he was in Docherty's draft so he's had plenty of time, this year will make or break him you'd think.
I'm expecting a close game.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #27
Hard to see anyone being dropped but Silvagni and Fisher might both miss.
Jones could replace Silvagni, he's strong and in good form so he deserves a shot.
Thomas was BOG in the magoos so he's the logical replacement for Fisher who I really rate,  Boekhorst is another option.as well as Kerridge, his disposal is questionable to say the least but his body strength might come in handy against Collingwood.
Shame to see that Dylan Buckley isn't putting his hand up for a game, he was in Docherty's draft so he's had plenty of time, this year will make or break him you'd think.
I'm expecting a close game.

I think Weitering has a very slim chance of getting up. He was downstairs for a considerable period of time and that in itself is a tell about how sore he is likely to be. Even if he does play he may well be well off his best.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #28
Cripps is rarely tagged for 2 reasons.

One is very hard to tag a contested beast as they work inside and tagging doesn't have much of an effect except they lose a player around the contest if they do it.

And two is Cripps main negative is as we all know his lack of pace away from the contest so most mids know he will get them inside but they try and hurt us the other way.

Tagging means they lose in both of those situations hence why they wont do it with him IMO.

Murphy on the other hand can be tagged and I think Greenwood will go to him IMO.

They will also pay respect to Doc and Simmo as these ones set up as much of our forward moves as our true mids.

Curnow needs to go to Pendlebury as I reckon Treloar will burn him for pace.

Interesting post Shawny. I'll be very interested to see how it pans out.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #29
I think Weitering has a very slim chance of getting up. He was downstairs for a considerable period of time and that in itself is a tell about how sore he is likely to be. Even if he does play he may well be well off his best.
The guy is a freak, gets hurt every week but gets up for the following week every time. That "old head" of his will always strive to get up and play.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time