Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW - Trade (Read 11222 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW - Trade

Reply #15
From what I read yesterday, it seems as though the players will become unrestricted free agents if a trade isn't agreed to, with compensation given to the team losing a player. So there's a chance we could wait until after the trade period to pick up Harris and let the AFL compensate them.

Of course we could always trade a player (and some latter picks) to the lions as well.
Who knows if any of our girls want to go and play in Brisbane.

Reply #16
Can't find a male player who wants to play in Brisbane. Would be twice as hard for a woman semi professional to play there.

Reply #17
Can't find a male player who wants to play in Brisbane. Would be twice as hard for a woman semi professional to play there.

Tom Bell wanted to go to Brisbane for family reasons.

Females can't do the same?

Players move for flags and/or more game time. They move to be closer to their families, or because their partners are in that city.

Plenty of reasons....we might just get lucky.

Reply #18
Just an update of sorts. Big Sauce Merrett was on Triple m this arvo and the topic of Taylah Harris came up. He said without a doubt she is gone.

She said to him that she was not enjoying her footy at all, and was contemplating giving it away altogether. She is training to be a boxer and actually has a fight coming up soon.

Point is, she won't be at the lions next year and wants to be in melbourne. That automatically gives us a 25% chance of getting her. Considering our need at KPF, we'd obviously be an attractive destination for her too.

Reply #19
Yes it is all on the AFL website now, she has nominated Carlton.

It will be interesting to see if the deal can be done, it's been so long that any sort of marquee player has chosen Carlton as the preferred destination it's a bit shocking! :o

It's the AFLW equivalent of Jonathon Brown nominating Carlton in his prime!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #20
She didn't have a great season, but at only 20 years old, she's going to be a great acquisition.

One thing I'm getting out of this trade period is that Carlton are obviously doing all the right things with our womens team. We've got A Grade facilities, a top notch coaching staff and give our players the opportunity to play on an AFL standard ground each week in front of thousands of supporters.

I feel like our club has really started to turn a corner on all fronts with regards to our administration.

Reply #21
We've apparently offered Jakobssen!

Not sure why we would offer Jakobssen, didn't she grow up a Carlton supporter?

It would seem to me the great benefit of obtaining Harris would be to play her along side Jakobssen and Vescio letting them get the 2nd and 3rd defenders.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #22
We've apparently offered Jakobssen!

Not sure why we would offer Jakobssen, didn't she grow up a Carlton supporter?

It would seem to me the great benefit of obtaining Harris would be to play her along side Jakobssen and Vescio letting them get the 2nd and 3rd defenders.

Jakobsson has put her hand up apparently, her girlfriend is from QLD and she's happy to make the move. I give it 12 months and she'll be requesting a trade back  ;)

Reply #23
Jakobsson has put her hand up apparently, her girlfriend is from QLD and she's happy to make the move. I give it 12 months and she'll be requesting a trade back  ;)

Don't tell Jeza, nobody wants to go to Brisbane.  ;)

Not sure what picks would be involved with that trade, but it couldn't be far off.
Harris has potential, but Jakobsson has form. One of the best marks in the game.

Reply #24
The Lions want more than just Jacobssen.
Don't sell the farm for a player who cares more about boxing than footy

Reply #25
The Lions want more than just Jacobssen.
Don't sell the farm for a player who cares more about boxing than footy

Sydney did exactly that and got themselves a premiership captain out of it.

Reply #26
With the new teams coming in in 2019 we MUST lock in all the high talent we can.

This is a league where one player can lift you a long way up the ladder and when the new teams come I it will be even more stark.

Harris is an absolute beast and we'll have quality ball users hitting her lace out, much better tan Brisbane and with Vescio taking a lot of heat.

Get her, go hard.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #27
From my understanding all the interstate teams aren't interested in picks coming their way.

Come draft time they only pick from the pool of girls that have nominated to play in their state.

So giving Bris our 10th 12th pick means nothing. They would be picking the girls at that pick anyway at one of their picks.

The interstate clubs want players not picks.

But the victorian clubs are more than happy to get the interstate picks because they are picking girls in which there are 4 clubs vying for pick positions.

If for example GWS get a deal from a Vic club for their 1st & 2nd pick that club would have the 1st pick in the draft  (& 1st in the Vic pool of talent) and then GWS 2nd pick which would be pick 9 overal (but pick 6 in the Vic pool).

There in lies the power the interstate clubs can give the Vic clubs.

Reply #28
From my understanding all the interstate teams aren't interested in picks coming their way.

Come draft time they only pick from the pool of girls that have nominated to play in their state.

So giving Bris our 10th 12th pick means nothing. They would be picking the girls at that pick anyway at one of their picks.

That is how it currently stands for the northern clubs, because there are effectively zero women's comps in the northern states. But it's a different situation for the other states, SA and WA actually have an advantage over the Vic clubs.

In any case, that rule won't stay in place if AFLW becomes a success, the girls will have to become full-time professional and go where the contracts come from.

At the moment they have a strong case for work and lifestyle choices because the season is so short it's just semi-professional. They have to supplement AFLW with other careers.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #29

But the victorian clubs are more than happy to get the interstate picks because they are picking girls in which there are 4 clubs vying for pick positions.

If for example GWS get a deal from a Vic club for their 1st & 2nd pick that club would have the 1st pick in the draft  (& 1st in the Vic pool of talent) and then GWS 2nd pick which would be pick 9 overal (but pick 6 in the Vic pool).

There in lies the power the interstate clubs can give the Vic clubs.

I believe all the above is true.

However, the lions COULD ontrade those picks to OTHER vic clubs for players as well.
Essentially a 3-way deal.

Say Harris -> Carlton
Picks (from carlton) -> Melbourne
Player (Melbourne) -> Brisbane
Throw in Jakobsson -> Brisbane...and that deal is pretty close.