Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2017: Rd 5: Northern Blues vs Casey (Read 21507 times) previous topic - next topic

VFL 2017: Rd 5: Northern Blues vs Casey

NORTHERN BLUES v. CASEY DEMONS
Round 5 - 14/05/2017
02:00
Preston City Oval

Northern Blues
B: 47. C. Sheehan, 48. K. Jaksch, 7. D. Buckley
HB: 13. C. O'Shea, 34. H. Macreadie, 49. D. Armfield
C: 51. J.  Lamb, 72. S.  Kerridge, 62. B.  Boekhorst
HF: 42. J. Pickett, 50. D. Gorringe, 8. L. Russell
F: 55. L. Sumner, 14. L. Jones, 67. C. Polson
R: 15. A. Phillips, 60. D. Cuningham, 1. T. Wilson
Int: 80. M. Korcheck, 76. K. LeBois, 4. S. Russell, 35. M. Stavrou, 6. G. Strachan, 31. P. Kerr, 56. A. Gallucci, 20. D. Stevens

23P: 25. K. Keppel

Lots of Carlton in this side. Pity that Harry McKay was rested and Palmer appears to be injured.

Casey Demons
B: 69. B. Kennedy, 1. J. Hutchins, 41. M. White
HB: 5. D. Collis, 45. D. Keilty, 64. A. Brayshaw
C: 43. J.  Harmes, 15. B.  Stretch, 54. J.  Trengove
HF: 30. A. Neal-Bullen, 24. J. Moncrieff, 55. L. Hulett
F: 27. A. Scott, 26. S. Weideman, 37. D. Johnstone
R: 34. M. King, 57. J. Kennedy-Harris, 9. M. Gent
Int: 75. S. Dwyer, 31. T. Baker, 35. A. Ferreira, 17. E. Morris, 18. B. Hillard, 2. B. Fritsch, 51. B. Giobbi, 13. J. Munro

23P: 8. T. Vander Haar

Live Long and Prosper!

Re: VFL 2017: Rd 5: Northern Blues vs Casey

Reply #1
In all honest, and I know they've had their injuries, guys like Gorringe, Lamb and Sumner would want to show something soon!

Good to see Lebois in. Excited by what he can bring.

Where's Harry McKay? Rested?

Reply #2
NORTHERN BLUES v. CASEY DEMONS
Round 5 - 14/05/2017
11:00
Preston City Oval

Northern Blues

B: 39. A. Kur, 18. B. Jordan, 22. C. McCabe
HB: 4. S. Russell, 41. S. Glover, 6. G. Strachan
C: 3. K.  Declase, 21. C.  Barrett, 23. C.  Adams
HF: 31. P. Kerr, 17. S. Peet, 57. F. Pearce
F: 76. K. LeBois, 29. B. Casley, 56. A. Gallucci
R: 27. A. Milham, 35. M. Stavrou, 20. D. Stevens
Int: 53. H. Payne, 33. M. Dawson, 16. J. Thorpe, 28. J. Collins, 46. J. Bradley, 64. L. Collins, 9. J. Corboy, 30. S. Bolger, 78. M. Walson, 44. W. Krithararis

Casey Demons

B: 75. S. Dwyer, 58. G. Nyuon, 66. P. Lewis-Smith
HB: 22. G. Lok, 31. T. Baker, 16. J. Gains
C: 25. D.  Gordon, 17. E.  Morris, 51. B.  Giobbi
HF: 21. J. Kingi, 61. L. Hiscock, 36. D. Johnston
F: 47. L. Filipovic, 20. N. Gardiner, 32. J. Briggs
R: 72. M. Lefau, 46. D. Johnston, 3. C. Ambler
Int: 62. L. Gill-Renouf, 23. M. Cox, 12. J. Lovett, 39. J. Di Pasquale, 4. J. Freeman, 53. W. Collis, 81. K. Dickson, 49. N. Foote, 10. A. Cotte, 33. C. MacHaya, 68. E. East, 80. D. Allsop

Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #3
In all honest, and I know they've had their injuries, guys like Gorringe, Lamb and Sumner would want to show something soon!

Good to see Lebois in. Excited by what he can bring.

Where's Harry McKay? Rested?
Indeed. There is expected to be a 3rd clesn-out at the end of the season, so under-performers must show enough to remain. We simply don't have the guys that need to be broomed out that we did when Bolton arrived. So now, it is perform or perish.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #4
Indeed. There is expected to be a 3rd clesn-out at the end of the season, so under-performers must show enough to remain. We simply don't have the guys that need to be broomed out that we did when Bolton arrived. So now, it is perform or perish.

Exactly crash. Really all about performance now.

Others in the same boat include - Armfield, Boekhorst, Jaksch, Jones, Kerridge, Graham, Buckley and rookies Gallucci and Sheehan. Talent is there, but another piece might be their bodies. If they can't get on the park each week, and perform, then that will also be taken into account IMO.

FWIW, I'm really liking Liam Jones form and output at the moment. Let's see how he goes for the remainder of the year, indeed the others listed above also.

Reply #5
Exactly crash. Really all about performance now.

Others in the same boat include - Armfield, Boekhorst, Jaksch, Jones, Kerridge, Graham, Buckley and rookies Gallucci and Sheehan. Talent is there, but another piece might be their bodies. If they can't get on the park each week, and perform, then that will also be taken into account IMO.

FWIW, I'm really liking Liam Jones form and output at the moment. Let's see how he goes for the remainder of the year, indeed the others listed above also.
Like you, I have been impressed with Jones. In 2015 I could not possibly considered writing that. He was an embarassment. Not now. He is very unlucky not to be n the side. In fact, last year or the year before, had he played like he has this season he would be among the 1st picked for the seniors.

I think this will be Armfield's last season. He appears to be headed towards coaching. I think he would be a good one.
Sheahan: if he can actually get through a few VFL games he'll be given a senior game. His kicking from defence and smarts will be tested at senior level.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #6
Who is getting down and watching a lot of 2s this year?
I just watched a couple of videos and much say, really really impressed with McKay.
He looks like a young Josh Kennedy in the way he leaps, gets hands to the ball high and  looks to be a one touch mark.

How is he going generally? Is he close to getting a call up?
I just got very bloody excited by the small amounts I seen
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #7
Billie Smedts missing from the VFL team also.

Reply #8
Like you, I have been impressed with Jones. In 2015 I could not possibly considered writing that. He was an embarassment. Not now. He is very unlucky not to be n the side. In fact, last year or the year before, had he played like he has this season he would be among the 1st picked for the seniors.

I think this will be Armfield's last season. He appears to be headed towards coaching. I think he would be a good one.
Sheahan: if he can actually get through a few VFL games he'll be given a senior game. His kicking from defence and smarts will be tested at senior level.

It really is a wait and see scenario, but these guys will have to be looking ahead to the second half of the season to show their worth.  Gorringe is probably/possibly the safest as talls that are athletic we dont have a large supply of and we only have 2 recognised ruckmen.  id be wanting to test Liam Jones at AFL level soon to see how he goes in that role, because he looks better than Gorringe and might be more up to it.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #9
Armfield will not wear a 1st 18 jumper again.  Just a harsh reality....has been superseded by too many others. But he got the best out of his ability.  McKay, having seen a few seconds games, is the 'slowly, slowly' player.  He desperately needs another full preseason to perform the role we require.  Give him a couple of cameos in 2017, but nothing more than that.  Dont do a Darcy Moore on the kid if we don't have to.  Build body and confidence!!

Reply #10
Armfield will not wear a 1st 18 jumper again.  Just a harsh reality....has been superseded by too many others. But he got the best out of his ability.  McKay, having seen a few seconds games, is the 'slowly, slowly' player.  He desperately needs another full preseason to perform the role we require.  Give him a couple of cameos in 2017, but nothing more than that.  Dont do a Darcy Moore on the kid if we don't have to.  Build body and confidence!!

Wouldn't give up on Armfield for 2017 yet, but the writing is on the wall longer term.

Agree about McKay, slowly slowly is my preferred option, Carlton have cooked too many talls through desperation and over-exuberance. For this reason I'd love to see Jones and Jaksch getting some last chance options, they are more than useful to bridge a gap while McKay gets his AFL body.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #11

Cheers for the info on Harry
With regards to patience with him, I have absolutely no need to see him rushed at all.
Whilst great to get a glimpse of him, if he isn't ready he isn't ready and always believed young talls need time to develop.
For me I was just very excited by a few snippets (which is always dangerous) and interested on whether that reflects how he does play.

Because if it does, we might for the first time look like we are going to have our major KP roles filled, especially if Ben is as good as early reports have suggested he would be
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #12
Wouldn't give up on Armfield for 2017 yet, but the writing is on the wall longer term.

Agree about McKay, slowly slowly is my preferred option, Carlton have cooked too many talls through desperation and over-exuberance. For this reason I'd love to see Jones and Jaksch getting some last chance options, they are more than useful to bridge a gap while McKay gets his AFL body.

I think hes done LP.

He might get a Andrew Walker match later in the year, but his body is succumbing to injury and stick a fork in him at AFL level.

We need to acid test a few players in the second half of the season, and I wouldn't want to do it with more than one or two per match meaning he is effectively finished, and like townsendcalling has mentioned, his next match is likely to be his last one for the Navy Blue seniors, which is a pity but its where we are at as a football club.

I like Army.  He is a good clubman, loves the place, and is generally a positive influence at our footy club, and I would absolutely love the idea of the Northern Blues having Armfield run around for them next season, whilst we mentor him into a coaching role post AFL.

Paul Hewson

Reply #13
I think hes done LP.

He might get a Andrew Walker match later in the year, but his body is succumbing to injury and stick a fork in him at AFL level.

We need to acid test a few players in the second half of the season, and I wouldn't want to do it with more than one or two per match meaning he is effectively finished, and like townsendcalling has mentioned, his next match is likely to be his last one for the Navy Blue seniors, which is a pity but its where we are at as a football club.

I like Army.  He is a good clubman, loves the place, and is generally a positive influence at our footy club, and I would absolutely love the idea of the Northern Blues having Armfield run around for them next season, whilst we mentor him into a coaching role post AFL.

I think when the club thinks he's done he'll pull the pin, reports had him pulling the pin after last season but allegedly the club asked him to go around one more time to his surprise.

Having said that, I think there is room for one of the likes of Daisy and Armfield, and sentiment or bias should not come into the decision making process. At the moment you'd say Daisy has him covered if Daisy can stay fit!

I think a bigger worry for the club is why we aren't confident in saying that the likes of Lamb and Sumner have gone past him! Lamb was excluding the 2010 GWS / GC bonanza effectively a 1st Rnd draft pick!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #14
I think when the club thinks he's done he'll pull the pin, reports had him pulling the pin after last season but allegedly the club asked him to go around one more time to his surprise.

Having said that, I think there is room for one of the likes of Daisy and Armfield, and sentiment or bias should not come into the decision making process. At the moment you'd say Daisy has him covered if Daisy can stay fit!

I think a bigger worry for the club is why we aren't confident in saying that the likes of Lamb and Sumner have gone past him! Lamb was excluding the 2010 GWS / GC bonanza effectively a 1st Rnd draft pick!

I think you might have a point here regarding Armfield pulling the pin, and I also think you are right in this being a bigger issue for the club, but these blokes were calculated trading gambles that havent paid off, and to the clubs credit, rather than worrying about it, they are just pulling up the sleeves, and moving on.

Lamb has shown some consistency, but I cant really make a case for any of them to be with us again next season on history or current form.  Matthew Wright has pushed all 3 out of the lineup, and moving forward, id rather we persist with Pickett in this role.

Depending on list management, if we kept one, id probably go with Sumner based on talent, Lamb based on consistency and actual output (I think he averages a goal a game for our seniors) and Armfield based on what he used to bring to the table.  If he is under any duress, then he might survive but i doubt it.  Using the once bitten twice shy approach, Lamb survives out of those three, but not by much a good match by any of them could tip the tide back in their favour.

Paul Hewson