Skip to main content
Topic: Round 8 Question (Read 4485 times) previous topic - next topic

Round 8 Question

After the Round 8 match against St Kilda, we had endless debate about Murphy and Carlisle...

There has been no news on the outcome of the resulting melee.  Did anybody get fined?

I know Murphy ended up under about 20 players getting into him...

I would be amazed if Murphy got fined on top of everything else he went through.

Or did it not actually happen in the AFL eyes?
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Re: Round 8 Question

Reply #2
And that time has passed...

I wonder if the AFL now believe it's all too sticky??
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004

Reply #3
And that time has passed...

I wonder if the AFL now believe it's all too sticky??

Hard to say. There's no guarantee the AFL started the process asap, so we have no way of knowing all the dates in question. You would think a decision would be made this week sometime, but who's to say ? I doubt it's a high priority for them.

Reply #5
I would ask the AFL what we were supposed to do? 4 Saints attacked Murphy before and Carlton player stepped in. Were we supposed to let it go?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #6
I would ask the AFL what we were supposed to do? 4 Saints attacked Murphy before and Carlton player stepped in. Were we supposed to let it go?

This may well have been mentioned in the "please explain" letter the Club sent to the AFL. After which the AFL acted as it usually does.

Reply #7
This may well have been mentioned in the "please explain" letter the Club sent to the AFL. After which the AFL acted as it usually does.

Last night on radio it was alleged that neither club responded to the AFL's request.

I like the concept of fining teams, but it's worthless if the persecuted and persecutors both end up being penalised. The AFL should have a clear indication of who instigated or initiated an event before it goes through this process.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #8
Last night on radio it was alleged that neither club responded to the AFL's request.

Well, if true that blows my theory out of the water.

Maybe neither team cared or thought the AFL had already made up their minds and any official letter / explanation would be a waste of time.

Reply #9
Well, if true that blows my theory out of the water.

Maybe neither team cared or thought the AFL had already made up their minds and any official letter / explanation would be a waste of time.

If players and their club can be held collectively responsible, what about a club and it's supporters? :o

Boo me a fine today!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10
If players and their club can be held collectively responsible, what about a club and it's supporters? :o

Boo me a fine today!

Not sure if you're serious or not, but you can't possibly expect a club to be responsible for its supporters in the way you suggest.

Reply #11
Not sure if you're serious or not, but you can't possibly expect a club to be responsible for its supporters in the way you suggest.

Soccer clubs have been held responsible for it's fans. Pretty sure AC Milan had to take a loss against Inter a few years ago when their fans were throwing flares.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #12
Soccer clubs have been held responsible for it's fans. Pretty sure AC Milan had to take a loss against Inter a few years ago when their fans were throwing flares.

We know the FA clubs have been threatened about repercussions for similar crowd behavior, so it seems AFL will inevitably head in the same direction.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #13

Wow. I just spent a few minutes looking on the internet, and it seems as though you're right - the issue of holding clubs responsible for their fans' behavior has been in discussion for years, and as you say, some clubs have copped various punishments as a result.

I don't agree with it, but it seems to be perceived as an effective way of dealing with trouble.

Just a smattering of what I found :

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/aleague-clubs-to-pay-for-fans-bad-behaviour-under-ffa-plan-20131230-3032o.html

https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/football-clubs-responsible-for-their-fan-behaviour-actions

http://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/14815322.Case_for_football_clubs_to_be_made_liable_for_behaviour_of_their_fans/

Reply #14
Interesting to see how weak the AFL is on the sledging issue...

They sat back while it played out in the media and them ducked for cover when looking at who to blame in this.

Fining the club is a cop-out...

Like I said earlier..."too sticky"