Skip to main content
Topic: Which player has shown the most improvement this year. (Read 7974 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Which player has shown the most improvement this year.

Reply #15
Jones
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #16
The Jones bloke by a country mile....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #17
The Jones bloke by a country mile....

x10

Followed by Charlie Curnow who has taken the leap from draftee to very good established player and would be one of our first picked...

Reply #18
Now this is getting monotonous.... ::)
The Jones boy for mine.

Of the youngsters Charlie, and Samo - given he didn't have a PS.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #19
Jones hasn't really improved, he is just playing consistently at his ability. You could argue the same for Kreuzer.

The guy who for me who has improved is Charlie Curnow. He's ahead of schedule doing stuff he has never done before!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #20
Along these lines was a segment on talking footy the other night about The Bulldogs and which players have improved on last year (they indicated only a couple from memory).
I also posted a year or two back about the whole list and who had improved on the prev year - my thoughts for that period were very few.
If we look at the 2017 v 2016 performances for each player i would be pretty confident that 75% have had as good or a better year than in 2016.

Anyone care to do an analysis:
Player    Improved in 2017 (yes/no/same/new)
xxxx      yes
yyyy      no
etc...

Reply #21
Jones hasn't really improved, he is just playing consistently at his ability. You could argue the same for Kreuzer.

The guy who for me who has improved is Charlie Curnow. He's ahead of schedule doing stuff he has never done before!

Maybe his natural ability hasn't improved but surely his performance, consistency, value to the team etc. etc have? Depends how you want to define or qualify "improved", which was left pretty open in this thread.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #22

:o :o :o :o ::)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #23
Along these lines was a segment on talking footy the other night about The Bulldogs and which players have improved on last year (they indicated only a couple from memory).
I also posted a year or two back about the whole list and who had improved on the prev year - my thoughts for that period were very few.
If we look at the 2017 v 2016 performances for each player i would be pretty confident that 75% have had as good or a better year than in 2016.

Anyone care to do an analysis:
Player    Improved in 2017 (yes/no/same/new)
xxxx      yes
yyyy      no
etc...

Think you're pretty spot on there. Just ran some quick numbers and subjectively I think there has been a 44% rate of improvement, 28% of the list in the plateau state, 13% in decline and 15% N/A due to being new draftees.

Obviously this is based on my opinion of player output, but I had 20 players in the Improved column, 6 in Declined, 13 Plateaued and 7 N/A.

This is how I rated each player:

Improved = >
Declined = <
Plateaued = |

Kade Simpson   <
Liam Jones   >
Sam Docherty   >
Lachie Plowman   >
Caleb Marchbank   >
Jacob Weitering   <
Harrison Macreadie   N/A
Tom Williamson   N/A
Ciaran Byrne   |
Alex Silvagni   >
Simon White   |
Dylan Buckley   |
Billie Smedts   <
Sam Rowe   >
Kristian Jaksch   |
Liam Sumner   |
Ciaran Sheehan   |
Rhys Palmer   <
Dennis Armfield   <
Nick Graham   |
Daniel Gorringe   <
Jesse Glass-McCasker   |
Andrew Gallucci   |
Matt Korcheck   |
Jack Silvagni   >
Harry McKay   >
Jed Lamb   >
Charlie Curnow   >
Jarrod Pickett   >
Patrick Kerr   N/A
Levi Casboult   >
Kym LeBois   N/A
Matthew Wright   |
Marc Murphy   >
Bryce Gibbs   >
Sam Petrevski-Seton   N/A
Patrick Cripps   |
Sam Kerridge   >
Blaine Boekhorst   >
Zac Fisher   N/A
David Cuningham   >
Cameron Polson   N/A
Ed Curnow   >
Dale Thomas   >
Matthew Kreuzer   >
Andrew Phillips   |

Reply #24
Maybe his natural ability hasn't improved but surely his performance, consistency, value to the team etc. etc have? Depends how you want to define or qualify "improved", which was left pretty open in this thread.

I can see where the Spotted One is coming from here. Jones is perhaps showing us what he's always had just been played out of position. If the criteria was value to the team, then he's improved 1000%.

For me improvement is about development. If you look at Gibbs, he's playing the same role but has improved his performance this year. But Charlie C has gone from quiet and spasmodic last year and early this year to downright influential.

Great post from NM above, hard to argue with any of her assessments. Good stuff. Big thumbs up.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #25
Think you're pretty spot on there. Just ran some quick numbers and subjectively I think there has been a 44% rate of improvement, 28% of the list in the plateau state, 13% in decline and 15% N/A due to being new draftees.

Obviously this is based on my opinion of player output, but I had 20 players in the Improved column, 6 in Declined, 13 Plateaued and 7 N/A.

While I don't entirely agree with each of your individual player assessments, my overall figures for players that  improved are in the same ballpark.  That to me is a very positive result in what has been a disappointing season in terms of Ws and Ls.

As for the most improved player, Liam Jones has to be it by the length of the straight.  Apart from giving supporters a lot of enjoyment, Liam's new found form as a defender has saved his career and given us the problem of trying to fit five key defenders into two or three spots  :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #26
Comments from Cam Mooney on Liam Jones:

“Since Jones has come back into the senior team this season, he is marked as an elite defender in intercept marks (2.9 per game), intercept possessions (7.7 per game), spoils (9.5 per game) and pressure acts.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #27
Meat is another one who has improved alot.

He's much better value in the ruck this year and you can actually watch him kick for goal knowing his conversion is up.

He's not our most improved but he's one.

Marc Murphy found a gear this year that I thought we might not see again and I'm putting him as our most improved.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #28
Meat is another one who has improved alot.

He's much better value in the ruck this year and you can actually watch him kick for goal knowing his conversion is up.

He's not our most improved but he's one.

Agreed, he has improved but from a very very low starting point, he's still very average relative to other similar AFL types.

Marc Murphy found a gear this year that I thought we might not see again and I'm putting him as our most improved.

I don't think Murphy's improved, I think the 3rd Man Up rules have allowed him to get back to where he was.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #29
This will be an interesting question at the end of 2018! :o
The Force Awakens!