Skip to main content
Topic: The Third Test in the Ashes Series - WACA (14 December) (Read 31889 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Third Test in the Ashes Series - WACA (14 December)

Reply #60
Hmm, gee Martyn was a class player though, average of 46.3.  I don't think he got the credit he deserved because he batted at his best away from Australia.  Averaged almost 46 away from home as well & hit 9 of his 13 hundreds away.....that says to he how valuable he was, particularly on the subcontinent & South Africa.

Not disputing whether he was good or not, just whether he was the best available at the time.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #61
Better than Martin IMO.....Steve Waugh picked the coach John Buchanan and picked the team, thats how it operated....he wanted a weak operator like Buchanan so he could control things and as long as the team were winning it functioned that way...players out of the mates loop like Hodge never got a look in no matter how many Shield runs they piled up....

Not a chance in hell he was better than Martyn.
Martyn averaged 46.40 from 67 tests. 55.50 in India.
He was a seriously good player.

Reply #62

Like most batsmen his average OS was marginally lower than his average at home.

Dean Jones averaged 92 in India!

Most of the time, so few innings are built OS that the averages depend more on the weather, injuries or opportunities than anything else. So I'm not sure we should hang our hats on stats that involve a handful of innings.

Hodge was lambasted by some scribes for batting too slowly when making 203 off 332 balls in Perth, but Steven Smith is a hero scoring 142 of 326!

What are we to think?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #63

Didnt realise Martyn averaged over 45 so yep happy to agree a very good player..I could be smartar$e and suggest Hodge averaged 55 at test level but
we all know that was only a small sample of six tests..
IMO Hodge could have averaged around what Martyn did given the same opportunities but we will never know......

Reply #64

he was a very classy player and also copped from from the NSW club....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #65
Didnt realise Martyn averaged over 45 so yep happy to agree a very good player..I could be smartar$e and suggest Hodge averaged 55 at test level but
we all know that was only a small sample of six tests..
IMO Hodge could have averaged around what Martyn did given the same opportunities but we will never know......

I have no issue with him, very very good player at state level, but as you have pointed out Martyn was a very good player over a long time at test level.
His batting in India was exceptionally good.

Reply #66
Just a test to see how old you are, this memory from the WACA is up on the CA site today:

http://www.cricket.com.au/video/terry-alderman-bad-tackle-askes-folklore-waca-1982-shoulder-injury-pitch-invasion-optus/2017-12-09?autostart=true

I was watching the coverage & remember it vividly......now looking back at it I am ever more staggered that this happened at a cricket ground.

Horrible injury to Terry Alderman ......but I was impressed with DKs choker hold on the moron, he wasn't hanging about !

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #67
Did Marsh just drop the test match, that was truly "A Grass-and-a-Half!"

PS; Now Lyon grasses another one, tougher but still very get-able. Marsh in, team confidence gone!

Thankfully Cummins benefits from having Hazlewood all over them, must be time for Smith to make a change!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #68
Mitch Marsh = Shane Watson. ..useless pri.k...Handscomb would have swallowed that at 1st slip

Reply #69
Root gone!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #70
Umpire Marais Erasmus is quietly asking Hazlewood to give the Poms a chance!

It would be truly ironic if Match Referee Sir Richie Richardson had anything to say about short pitched bowling!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #71
A snorter from Starc.

The English are pooing themselves. Lots of chin music!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #72
I don't really understand why the Poms batted Bairstow so low in the order.  He is a decent batsman when he has another batsman at the other end.

This could be a fairly even contest and that would make a pleasant change.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #73
Poms with their noses in front, said it before but Milan is a classy player especially on a flat track like the WACA where he can just let the short stuff go and cream anything full and he cover drives as well as any player going around.
Bowlers looked a bit sore and sorry at days end too, Mitch Marsh's bowling is handy but on that wicket he looked very friendly and if he is going to play he needs to be bowling more than seven overs to help our other quicks who look like they are feeling the effects of the first two tests.
Marsh also dropped a straight forward catch and while the commentators keeping saying Bancroft is a great fielder he looked ordinary in the slips and Handscomb was missed in that area..
Lets hope the wicket is at its flattest when we bat and can post a big total, the ball was swinging late in the evening session and I wouldnt want to have Anderson and Broad getting that same assistance that Starc and Hazlewood got late...

Reply #74
I don't really understand why the Poms batted Bairstow so low in the order.  He is a decent batsman when he has another batsman at the other end.

This could be a fairly even contest and that would make a pleasant change.

Agree...Bairstow is very orthodox and a calming affect at No 6...Ali is more of a slasher who throws the bat but can be careless, thought Bairstow played Lyon well and the
damming stat of Lyon getting 10 of his wickets vs left handers this series and only one vs right handers showed Bairstow should have batted between the lefties higher up the order.