Skip to main content
Topic: The Third Test in the Ashes Series - WACA (14 December) (Read 31906 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Third Test in the Ashes Series - WACA (14 December)

Reply #105
Good knock from the selectors lovechild in Mitch Marsh but I remain unconvinced, his technique is still flawed IMO and he needs to show some resistance on a wicket doing doing something before I am going to get on his bandwagon...

well, you can only do what you can do....at the time.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #106
well, you can only do what you can do....at the time.

Agree he played well and did the job but the commentators showed him plenty of love even before he got going...the Marsh bros seem cricketing royalty
at the moment and its got a bit sickening listening to Michael Clarke and crew throwing bouquets at Mitch and then ditto for Shaun as being everyone's favourite teammate.
Neither have proved anything IMO and I want to see further evidence before I join the bandwagon of Marsh fans.....probably the worst English team ever and their bowling is half rat power county scrubs these days with Anderson and Broad having a pre retirement holiday and the rest being sub district standard including one who bowled with a cracked rib.

Reply #107
It was 4/248 when he got in. Alot of pressure as we were still 155 behind. One more wicket could've changed everything. Then he faced the new ball not long after he got on with bowlers rested overnight.

Poms list 6/35.on that deck.
You think that is something to do with the deck or bowlers?

I wrote many days ago that this was an opportunistic selection, the WACA pitches have been runs feast fodder for several years now. The slimmest of chances existed that a batsmen in half-form wouldn't make runs on this pitch, not the other way around. England should have made 500 or even 600 from that position, in much the same way the Australia is about to!

The big problem is this, whichever in-from player was picked he was going to more than likely make runs. On a dead-flat benign pitch against an attack that is built around players who are a puddle of their former self. If there wasn't any political bullcrap, we'd have probably played Mitch Marsh and Glenn Maxwell to give ourselves the best chance of fast scoring and favourable result. Instead we get political spin about needing all-rounders for tired bowlers and then only bowl the bloke 9 of 115 overs.

The real question should be asked, how can it be we have blokes so far out of form that we applaud 30s or 40s on that pitch at an SR of 35%? When we have other players around the country making tons, double tons even almost triple tons at strike rates of 70 to 80%

Where does form come into the selections, it looks more like a lottery, one that has been fixed by the mafia!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #108
Handscomb had clearly lost all confidence - had to go. Was Marsh the next best choice?

In the eyes of the selectors yes....and they know a f.... load more than us about the players.

yep. Well done selectors and well done Mitch Marsh and Steve Smith.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #109
Going back to that other discussion about unlucky/stiff Australian players... it’s all about timing (eg. when you get selected, and who you play against).

Handscomb last test had to bat under lights with ball hooping, gets dropped, Marsh comes in on his home track and bats on an autobahn and destroys them.

Reply #110
Going back to that other discussion about unlucky/stiff Australian players... it’s all about timing (eg. when you get selected, and who you play against).

Handscomb last test had to bat under lights with ball hooping, gets dropped, Marsh comes in on his home track and bats on an autobahn and destroys them.

The assertion I make is that if a spud like me sees this coming weeks before it happens then there is no doubt the selectors knew exactly what was going to happen. The perfect opportunity to return Handscomb to form was Perth!

I suspect the dropping of Handscomb has more to do with the 1st and 2nd test criticism of Smith's captaincy than the requirement for an All-Rounder who barely bowls. We'd be all over England, even more than we are now, if we had a dynamic and effective captain. The only issue is would Smith bat as well without the captaincy?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #111
Pitch is a nightmare now. Those cracks have widened and they are playing absolute havoc. Poms will have fun batting on it.

Reply #112
Balls are very low, bouncing, cutting miles off the cracks. Hard work batting on it.

Reply #113
The assertion I make is that if a spud like me sees this coming weeks before it happens then there is no doubt the selectors knew exactly what was going to happen. The perfect opportunity to return Handscomb to form was Perth!

I suspect the dropping of Handscomb has more to do with the 1st and 2nd test criticism of Smith's captaincy than the requirement for an All-Rounder who barely bowls. We'd be all over England, even more than we are now, if we had a dynamic and effective captain. The only issue is would Smith bat as well without the captaincy?

Like Michael Clarke, Smith's batting average as captain is higher than it was before he became captain.

I think Smith's captaincy in this test has been more spontaneous and less formulaic.

As for Handscomb, I think you're right about him batting back into form at the WACA.  Now he has no opportunity to spend time in the middle.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #114
or he may have failed again....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #115
or he may have failed again....

We'll never know  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #116

Handscomb's technique is an issue getting him into trouble. He needs time in the nets. Poms had worked him out.

Reply #117
Poor Vince! You're unlikely to see a ball, like Starc bowled him with, like that again ever. No man could play that.

Reply #118
Handsome is every but as back foot dominant as Smith was and is, but Handscomb can't hide down the list as a bowler like Smith did! Smith had the luxury of staying in the side even when his batting form didn't warrant it.

In his first 3 years Smith averaged 34.64 from 16 innings, 2 centuries and 5 fifties, and wasn't dropped.
Over Handscomb's first 2 years he has averaged 47.35 from 12 innings, 2 centuries and 4 fifties, and got the kibosh!

Now the sycophants are claiming Smith is the greatest batsmen since Bradman, well I'll call that rubbish as well because in my opinion the quality of the opposition matters, and at the moment global Test Cricket and Test Bowling has never been weaker. It's being severely damaged by the growth of the IPL and 20/20 and blokes earning big money for 1 over spells!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #119
Handscomb's technique is an issue getting him into trouble. He needs time in the nets. Poms had worked him out.

Not according to Steve Waugh.  He reckons that Handscomb's technique is fine and he was dropped because of lack of form.

What he needs is time in the middle and he's not going to get that now.