Skip to main content
Topic: Blues v Doggies - R4 (Read 12315 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Blues v Doggies - R4

Reply #47
Not royally!  :o
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #48
Can anyone tell me what right the umpire had to order a Carlton player to move from the backline where she was plying loose in defence, to our forward line and even waited for the girl to do so before throwing the ball up?

Reply #49
Can anyone tell me what right the umpire had to order a Carlton player to move from the backline where she was plying loose in defence, to our forward line and even waited for the girl to do so before throwing the ball up?

Girls must start 5, 6, 5 before the ball is bounced. (backs/mids/forwards)

New directive to stop flooding back.

Only happens at centre bounces.

Reply #50
And the AFL said we were too negative... look how generous we were in allowing the Dishlickers to kick a record score!

Seriously though, this is why I made the comment last week re no GF for us. Too many good outs BUT our game plan stinks (way too defensive) and it's too late for a new learned change. We'll bounce back next week and be better, but I hope we shift our game plan to something more balanced (between defensive/offensive) for 2019. Yesterday's effort wasn't embarrassing, it was humiliating.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #51
Totally out gunned. :(
...and with the outs, not much we can do about it.

Too much gap between our top players and the rest.
Therein lies our biggest problem. We have a great bunch of girls with plenty of esprit de corps, but there are only a handful of top players. Of those, the best of them are out, a couple of the remainder are being cruelled simply by having their careers slowing down at the wrong time.
Alas I can see us not being all that hot until we can rebuild the list. We need to totally rebuild our midfield.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #52
And the AFL said we were too negative... look how generous we were in allowing the Dishlickers to kick a record score!

Seriously though, this is why I made the comment last week re no GF for us. Too many good outs BUT our game plan stinks (way too defensive) and it's too late for a new learned change. We'll bounce back next week and be better, but I hope we shift our game plan to something more balanced (between defensive/offensive) for 2019. Yesterday's effort wasn't embarrassing, it was humiliating.
Our game plan per se is not that bad. At the moment we don't have the personnel to run it effectively. It is clearly a derivative of Pagan's Paddock. Most of our players are behind the ball for a lot of time. What it is lacking is the couple of key forwards who are good enough to win the ball against many opponents. Now that is being hopeful.
As we saw with us, Pagan's Paddock has its limitations: it assumes that most opposition players follow their direct opponent, instead of zoning off and creating a wall. it assumes that you have a forward or two available who will not let the ball go directly back into the opposing forward line and it assumes that you have an advantage in pace and skill over your direct opponent.
We do not have any of these, so our game plan is looking lame.
Last year we saw that we could score extremely quickly: the ball goes over the back to advantage and that is all she wrote. We were being belted by Brisbane last year when it clicked for us in the last quarter: they tired while we did not. In the end we were unlucky to get a draw, as they had no way to counter our ball movement.
So, why is not working this year? There are a number of reasons, but one clear one is the lack of production from our top echelon of players. They are either out injured or, like Lauren Arnell, struggling with the miles they have already done. Our next group of players have not been able to fill the gap.

So, what can we do about it? That is a good question, because if the answers were that easy, everyone would be doing it. We can:
[1] Change our game plan. Not sure that will make that much difference for this year. Certainly opening up our play will allow other teams to score more highly against us. Change it for next season? A possibility, but one that is going to depend on what our list looks like. Without either a significant boost in skills and fitness (neither of which is impossible), the present list does not look capable of producing the goods. But our game plan, whatever it may be, must fit our players better than the present one is doing. Changing direction more often and much quicker is certainly a starting point, but that depends on the midset of the players and the skills they have. At the moment we do not have enough confidence to make changes like that work. That was clear in the first 3 rounds: many players for looking for that move, but did not trust themselves to hit the target.
[2] Change our list: The Draft does limit us a bit, but it is still far from as reliable as the guys' draft is. Looking inter-state is not a bad idea. We picked a lass from Norwood this year, Sophie Li, who has been serviceable. Again, it is looking that the best of her has already passed, but the idea is not a bad one. I am not sure about the restrictions in developing our own players, but I am assuming the our new VFLW license will yield some results. Trading is going to be difficult, as we have few players others would want. Trading Harris or Vescio would doom us for at least another 2 years and leave our forward line even less effective than it is at the moment.
[3] Change our fitness levels: At the moment the training regimes for most clubs are pretty similar. They are predicated on training starting at a set time and not over-pushing the 1st generation of semi-professional players. In time the fitness regimes are supposed to approach those of the men, as the season lengthens and fees are charged for games.
However, that does not mean that we cannot get ahead of the relative fitness curve. It is going to take effort and planning, but there is more upside to it, as the women are starting from a lower base.
[4] Change our skills: Skills are slowly improving, but if we spend more time on these out of season, again, we could get in front of the curve and lead. We need to. Our present skill base is poor and effects the game plan on every single possession.
[5] Get someone like Silvagni to manage the list: this speaks for itself. The right talent identification before the rest can pounce would improve most of the areas we are weak in at the present.
[6] Change the coaching staff: Not sure yet that this is the best option. We do have great spirit, but we need to find the right combination. To add some people from the men's side of things would not hurt: they have higher expectations.

The structure the AFL require is a minor irritation: it simply cannot be enforced outside the centre taps. I simply wouldn't be worrying that much about it. If we set up the way we want it when we have confidence in ourselves, then it simply won't be an issue. Getting us to the right position where we regain our confidence is the task.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #54
Nice summary, Capt CRASH. Re game plan, I should further explain what I mean. Yes, at the moment we don't have the personnel to deliver the game plan but I wonder if we ever did. When a game plan doesn't match your personnel you're in strife. An important coaching skill, to match the game plan and personnel to get the best possible result. Perhaps our game plan does need a tweek.

Plus, the over emphasis on defense can be a real trap, ie when it's time to attack and score the players can be a little at sixes and sevens and that is one of the things we're seeing at present. We had virtually the same inside 50s as the Dishlickers but were a rabble up forward (sound familiar?)... delivery was rushed and we were missing some real targets up forward, which sure doesn't help...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #55
Was the game on fta down south ?
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #56
Nice summary, Capt CRASH. Re game plan, I should further explain what I mean. Yes, at the moment we don't have the personnel to deliver the game plan but I wonder if we ever did. When a game plan doesn't match your personnel you're in strife. An important coaching skill, to match the game plan and personnel to get the best possible result. Perhaps our game plan does need a tweek.

Plus, the over emphasis on defense can be a real trap, ie when it's time to attack and score the players can be a little at sixes and sevens and that is one of the things we're seeing at present. We had virtually the same inside 50s as the Dishlickers but were a rabble up forward (sound familiar?)... delivery was rushed and we were missing some real targets up forward, which sure doesn't help...

Too much emphasis on defence when you take into account that kicking distance and skills make it alot harder to get the ball forward and score. Just not the game style to play in the AFLW. When you have two of the very best forwards in the game it's obvious you'd attack more.

Reply #57
Yes, at the moment we don't have the personnel to deliver the game plan but I wonder if we ever did. When a game plan doesn't match your personnel you're in strife. An important coaching skill, to match the game plan and personnel to get the best possible result. Perhaps our game plan does need a tweek.

Hard to argue.

Reply #58
Midfield, midfield, midfield......just like the boys' game, no point buying Plugger (or Tayla Harris) if your midfield can't get you the ball!!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #59
I heard one of the female commentators state that we desperately need a running coach to bridge the gap between our players’ ability to cover the ground and that of other teams.

I only listened to the game on the wireless so I can’t judge the veracity of the comment, but the scoreboard suggests that it is close to the mark.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball