Skip to main content
Topic: Another School Shooting in the US (Read 13377 times) previous topic - next topic

Another School Shooting in the US

So today America is facing yet another horrific school shooting in a country which has seen about 1 per week for the last 4 years. This one is a big one with 16-17 confirmed dead.

What personally hit me at the core is that it was in the the town ranked the 3rd safest in Florida. When we were living over there I was lucky and had a job where they let me live wherever I wanted in the country, as long as I was within an hour to the airport if I was needed onsite at a customer. So one of the main things we done was looked at City Data for each town we were considering. After choosing the type of environment we wanted (ie beaches/mountains/big city/location to International Airport etc), Safety and School ratings were the 2 single biggest factors. Because your kids MUST go to a good school in the US or you make life so much harder and your house has to be zoned to the school or you are out of luck and of course safety, because... well if you have ever been around suburban USA you will know how important this is and how much difference 5 minutes travel can make.

So here you have a town that would have certainly met the criteria for us (ie I wanted to live near a beach, though wife was hell bent on Colorado), was safe and had a greatschools rating of 8/10.

It is not the first time of course as both Littleton (Columbine) and Newtown (Sandy Hook) are affluent suburbs above the state average levels.

So it is clear that I was as delusional as anyone else when there that you have to just do the best you can do, because even that doesn't cut it.

When will Americans ever put their kids before the right to own a ridiculous firearm that by being allowed to own, they also allow the person down the street with untold mental issues to own? When will they give that crap up for the safety of everyone?

I know it is NEVER, but it just seems so insane
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Re: Another School Shooting in the US

Reply #1
I agree with you. Some cultural habits and expectations are so entrenched, it's like moving heaven and earth to effect change.

Obviously, these things should never happen anywhere, but if they are going to happen, they will happen in the US, which in my view, is paradoxically the very best and the very worst the world has to offer, all rolled into one.

Reply #2
These senseless massacres are so common in the US (apparently this is the 19th mass shooting of 2018) that it’s becoming harder to feel sympathy for the victims and their families.

I can imagine people bleating that it wouldn’t happen if the school had armed guards  ::)

If they had real leaders, the problem would be addressed.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #3
These senseless massacres are so common in the US (apparently this is the 19th mass shooting of 2018) that it’s becoming harder to feel sympathy for the victims and their families.

I can imagine people bleating that it wouldn’t happen if the school had armed guards  ::)

If they had real leaders, the problem would be addressed.

That line has been trotted out previously. It obviously fails to acknowledge the root problem, which the rest of the world and maybe 40% of the US can see it also, but the rest of the US and importantly those that make the decisions can't and/or are way to afraid to challenge the extremely powerful NRA.

As for feeling for the victims, I hope that never leaves me personally. A tragic loss of a life is a tragic loss and kids should be able to go to school in Syria, Nigeria, Afghanistan, the US, UK, Australia all the same. Regardless of decisions their parents support, also it is still tragic if someone who opposes gun control is senselessly murdered.

I hope they find a way to sort this out, because you are right Paul, it is the best & worst in that society. I love the US, I found the people some of the friendliest I have met anywhere in the world, it would just be a million times better without the gun problem
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #4
Interested to read recently about the US constitution which is very strong on protecting the people from oppression and tyranny, including that which could arise from the government. The scarring experiences suffered during the George III regime shaped such a distrust of government that the right to bear arms for citizen protection became paramount. Today of course this seems rather pointless in view of the weaponry the government could theoretically  deploy against the populace but it is not going to be given up easily. I can't see things changing any time soon.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #5
It seems that it is the 29th mass shooting of 2018, not 19 as I stated above.  I wonder what it will take before the ‘right to bear arms’ is addressed?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #6
It seems that it is the 29th mass shooting of 2018, not 19 as I stated above.  I wonder what it will take before the ‘right to bear arms’ is addressed?

I wonder what it will take before the issues within their society are addressed? Symptoms and causes.

Reply #7
I wonder what it will take before the issues within their society are addressed? Symptoms and causes.

A nuclear bomb and a fresh start.

Anything short of that and we won't see a change in our lifetime. Too ingrained in their culture.

Reply #8
The Decline and Fall of the American Empire?
Rotting from within?

Reply #9
The Decline and Fall of the American Empire?
Rotting from within?

I have thought that for awhile. America's legions will soon enough come home.

Reply #10
Without wanting to sound completely insensitive, this seems like old news.

Nothing changes, everything stays the same.

I wish it didnt happen, but its not a matter of if, but when it happens again.

Very sad.  I sometimes think that the world would be a much better place without humanity.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #11
Interested to read recently about the US constitution which is very strong on protecting the people from oppression and tyranny, including that which could arise from the government. The scarring experiences suffered during the George III regime shaped such a distrust of government that the right to bear arms for citizen protection became paramount. Today of course this seems rather pointless in view of the weaponry the government could theoretically  deploy against the populace but it is not going to be given up easily. I can't see things changing any time soon.

The only reason of the right to bear arms, was because the young US was broke, and couldn't afford a standing army. The minute men were successful in the War of Independence so they relied on armed citizens. It should have been repealed once the US could afford an army.

Reply #12
The only reason of the right to bear arms, was because the young US was broke, and couldn't afford a standing army. The minute men were successful in the War of Independence so they relied on armed citizens. It should have been repealed once the US could afford an army.

May have been one of the reasons but the constitution was written to ensure division of governmental power and the protection of citizens from potential tyranny by the government. The second amendment  ensured "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." There is a strong argument put forward by some in the US that abolishing the right to bear arms imperils that freedom and that gun crime is part of the price for that. It does seem like an alien concept to us but I can't see it changing anytime soon, and certainly not without a massive fight. Much easier said than done.

Reply #13
May have been one of the reasons but the constitution was written to ensure division of governmental power and the protection of citizens from potential tyranny by the government. The second amendment  ensured "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." There is a strong argument put forward by some in the US that abolishing the right to bear arms imperils that freedom and that gun crime is part of the price for that. It does seem like an alien concept to us but I can't see it changing anytime soon, and certainly not without a massive fight. Much easier said than done.

When the second amendment was passed, "arms" were smoothbore muzzle loaders that the average Joe could fire once every 60 seconds and, with a bit of luck, hit the side of a barn at 60 paces.  While that illustrates the folly of being bound by statutes written in another time, I wonder whether it would be possible to define "arms" as "smoothbore muzzle loaders" or perhaps single shot, low powered rifles.  Many states have successfully banned assault rifles so it shouldn't be too hard.

I note that the POTUS spoke about addressing mental illness in his response but didn't mention gun control (or guns I believe).  Addressing mental illness is an important point but equally important is removing firearms that are designed specifically for human targets.

Reply #14
When the second amendment was passed, "arms" were smoothbore muzzle loaders that the average Joe could fire once every 60 seconds and, with a bit of luck, hit the side of a barn at 60 paces.  While that illustrates the folly of being bound by statutes written in another time, I wonder whether it would be possible to define "arms" as "smoothbore muzzle loaders" or perhaps single shot, low powered rifles.  Many states have successfully banned assault rifles so it shouldn't be too hard.

I note that the POTUS spoke about addressing mental illness in his response but didn't mention gun control (or guns I believe).  Addressing mental illness is an important point but equally important is removing firearms that are designed specifically for human targets.

It will tax far superior legal intellects than mine DJC. The NRA is a very powerful group and political donor and it has been very vocal in its opposition to change. The Dems may have thought about it but the GOP do not appear to have shown a lot of interest. In my, albeit pessimistic view, don't hold your breath.