Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW Round 5: Carlton vs Adelaide at Norwood (Read 8098 times) previous topic - next topic

AFLW Round 5: Carlton vs Adelaide at Norwood

This game is on TV. Adelaide are struggling, no doubt. They were lucky not to lose to GWS.
I won't be getting to Norwood, but Sophie Li will know the ground well.

Coming into the side should be Tayla Harris, who will straighten up our forwards somewhat. Also Danielle Hardiman, our usual key defender, who we missed badly against the Dogs, and probably Katie Loynes, who has been one of our better players.

Adelaide will be depending on Phillips, who is often the person to drag them over the line. We need to keep her under control, or we are toast.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: AFLW Round 5: Carlton vs Adelaide at Norwood

Reply #1
We might also get Brazzale and Gee back as well.

Reply #2
We might also get Brazzale and Gee back as well.
That will help us considerably!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #3
Well we got everyone back that we wanted....but that meant we lost a few we probably didn't want to.

IN:
Harris
Loynes
Hardiman
Brazzale
Gee

OUT:
J. Hosking  :o
Keryk
Shierlaw
Last
Plane

Reply #4
Here is says J. Hosking is rested.  ???

B: G.Pound 6, D.Hardiman 31, R.Hicks 24
HB: K.Loynes 2, A.Downie 30, K.Gillespie-Jones 5
C:                     S.Audley 26               
HF: N.Stevens 21, D.Vescio 3, K.Harrington 9
F: S.Hosking 10, T.Harris 22, B.Kennedy 23
Foll: B.Moody  16, T.Lucas-Rodd 18, S.Li 35
I/C: C.Webb 17, G.Gee 19, L.Arnell 13, L.Brazzale 12, M.Gay 8                   

Emerg: M.Keryk 4, J.Hosking 11                    

In: D.Hardiman, K.Loynes, T.Harris, G.Gee, L.Brazzale
Out: K.Shierlaw, J.Hosking (rested), N.Plane, M.Keryk, S.Last

Personally, i probably would've dropped Webb or Hicks and kept Jess.

But that is about as strong a side as we've ever fielded, and we'll need it against the Erin Phillips lead premiers.

ADELAIDE

B: S.Thompson 14, A.Hatchard 33, J.Hewett 20
HB: A.Foley 3, C.Randall 26, D.Cox 31
C:                     E.Phillips 13               
HF: D.Varnhagen 9, S.Allan 39, J.McCormick 5
F: R.Wallace 15, S.Perkins 28, E.Jones 2
Foll: R.Metcalfe 11, C.Cramey 22, E.Marinoff 10
I/C: M.Rajcic 32, J.Sedunary 17, R.Lugg 45, J.Mules 23, S.Armitstead 16

Emerg: G.Bevan 4, T.Radan 6            

In: A.Hatchard, D.Cox, R.Lugg, S.Armitstead
Out: R.Killian, A.Holmes, J.Allan, G.Bevan

Reply #5
We seem to be light on for rucks, I'm assuming Harris will be doing the ruck duty in the forward zone.

But that still a lot of ground for Moody to cover, unless GJ takes some of the backline work.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #6
We seem to be light on for rucks, I'm assuming Harris will be doing the ruck duty in the forward zone.

But that still a lot of ground for Moody to cover, unless GJ takes some of the backline work.

Downie can ruck...she takes quite a few taps

Reply #7
Downie can ruck...she takes quite a few taps

Sorry, I thought she was out, my bad!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #8
Maybe we are setting up to play to a losing ruck???  I would have thought the tactics men use at centre clearances would be much more effective in the women's game given the lack of ability to break clear of contests.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #9
Anyway, it's on TV so we get to watch Saturday night.

I hope Arnell proves me wrong, that the game isn't passing her by, and she can string two or more good games together.

I think it's time for Harris to get hold of the opposition, no more promises and failing to deliver. I hope the girls took a look at the JLT and will use their run and carry to advantage. Our team has plenty of quick agile players who should be clocking up the kilometers Saturday night. Which makes me think of about an interesting question;

Can girls gut run, do they have the abdominal muscle structure that allows them to throw their dead legs around and keep running?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10
Also, its very quick to write off Lauren Arnell after an orindary start to the season.  A 3 - 4 week soft tissue injury can render a player ineffective and out for half a season in AFLW and they wouldnt want to be missing many and absolutely would be playing through duress given the short seasons.

I back our girl in to be even better next year, and to finish this season strongly even if she is under done for most of it.

Paul Hewson

Reply #11
Also, its very quick to write off Lauren Arnell after an orindary start to the season.  A 3 - 4 week soft tissue injury can render a player ineffective and out for half a season in AFLW and they wouldnt want to be missing many and absolutely would be playing through duress given the short seasons.

I back our girl in to be even better next year, and to finish this season strongly even if she is under done for most of it.

True, but I cannot recall any player running a full game out uninjured for zero possessions.

Personally, from the body language, attitude, communications and organisational perspective, I think the likes of Arnell and Loynes are worth far more than just their football. They are almost on-field coaches.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #12
True, but I cannot recall any player running a full game out uninjured for zero possessions.

Personally, from the body language, attitude, communications and organisational perspective, I think the likes of Arnell and Loynes are worth far more than just their football. They are almost on-field coaches.

Its probably happened at AFL level before but the focus on Arnell is because of how good she has been, and what she can do.

Ultimately, they are all sub 20 gamers at this level and that includes the best and worst of them.

THe key is to see if she gets zero posesssions ever again.

Paul Hewson

Reply #13
Its probably happened at AFL level before but the focus on Arnell is because of how good she has been, and what she can do.

Ultimately, they are all sub 20 gamers at this level and that includes the best and worst of them.

The key is to see if she gets zero posesssions ever again.

It looks to me we(Carlton) have taken a much longer term view than some of the opposition AFLW clubs, do you agree?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #14
That would be consistent with where our footy club is currently at so I agree.  I think we are taking a whole of club approach to long term thinking.

What I was hoping for was some success from our women in the short term, to help attract some new members, and to try and show that our club is capable of getting things right.

Still I don't mind.  We need to be looking down the road for our club and how we can improve it and restore the club to its former glory.

I truly believe that AFL W is the way our club will rebuild its supporter base for both the men's and women's teams, and we should do everything possible not to treat it as a mickey mouse competition like I have heard from some sections of our supporter base.  Yes our Men's team will always be the main event for the average fan currently but down the track it won't be that way, and IMHO, shouldn't as the women hold the key to us changing our overall look and feel as a footy club.

Paul Hewson