Skip to main content
Topic: Smith's Crew in SA (Read 79661 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Smith's Crew in SA

Reply #390
Evidence of collusion?     Wangling things to get Rabada's ban overturned.   Not cheating but clearly part of "do anything to win" mentality.

Apparently using sugar-laced saliva for "minor ball polishing" is different to scuffing the ball with sandpaper.

I'll call it what it was Faf....it was blatant cheating.
I cannot call us 'pure': we have been found guilty of cheating. However, we are not the only team with a 'win at all costs' mentality. The West Indies in their heyday were not known for their sportsmanship. However, that is just the tip of the iceberg. Arjuna Ranatunga, when captain of Sri Lanka, was so corrupt that it wasn't funny. It is his fault that runners are no longer used in test cricket. He would claim to be injured when his only problem was an excess of good Sri Lankan curry. His excesses on the field and his incredible lack of sportsmanship were legendary. India under their present leadership do not stretch boundaries: they shatter them. They will do anything to win. Then we have South Africa. Faf de Plessis has been sanctioned for ball tampering. Nor has he been alone.

World cricket has been more than infected by the 'win at all costs' mentality. It has been so for a long time. Australia may have pushed things, but we are not alone. But we are the only ones to react so savagely to those who have been caught.
In some ways I am glad of that. It shows that there is something in Australian cricket still has something behind it other than just 'win'.

I am not against winning: quite the contrary. I love winning and I have experienced relatively little in recent times. But there are boundaries. Am I part of an extinct generation? I hope not.

I don't know if cricket will take the lesson here to heart, even if Cricket Australia does. I will look on with hope, but with very low expectations.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #391
Evidence of collusion?     Wangling things to get Rabada's ban overturned.   Not cheating but clearly part of "do anything to win" mentality.

Apparently using sugar-laced saliva for "minor ball polishing" is different to scuffing the ball with sandpaper.

I'll call it what it was Faf....it was blatant cheating.

Tha Rabada case was disgraceful, contact with opposing players should be an automatic out of the next game, how they argued that on some new camera angle basis is beyond me.....

The mints/sugar based lollies etc has been around for a long while, its cheating for sure but all the countries do it......Saffies, English, Pakis....the umps tend to let it go unless in Faf's case he was sticking his fingers down his throat and making it so obvious. The other scam was the sunscreen, lipbarm plastered on the face and used to shine the ball.....cheating again but hard to police and hard to ban....

The Sandpaper was equivalent to taking an angle grinder out there for the bowling team to use.....crickets a funny game in that you can cheat if its not too obvious but as soon as it becomes obvious you are the worst in the world...our blokes made the mistake of not using normal ball tampering methods and went for something a bit too exotic..
The vision of Bancroft in the dressing room throwing copious amounts of sugar in his pocket I think from a previous test also made him a good camera target.....

Reply #392
Yes, stewardshop of the game is important - very important.  That's why we have three players that aren't playing for Australia for at least 9 months.

Yep, the Rabada exoneration was bad.  With the cricket balls, the current set up obviously isn't working as there is a weak deterrent.  ICC either have to come down on everyone like a ton of bricks to stamp it out, or have an "anything goes" policy with the cricket balls.

Stamping it out should be easy.  The umpires get the ball at the start of the over, check its condition.  At the end of the over they get it back, pass it to the other umpire, who gives it to the next bowler.  That way any change of condition of the ball is obvious and easily monitored.  A extreme change in condition, they replace the ball.  The whole team gets a 50% fine, the captain 75%.  Do it twice in a test and there are suspensions to the team.  No ifs, no buts.

Reply #393
All over in SA, Philander took 6-3 today and I think our blokes will be glad to be put out of their misery.....
Rumours that Warner has agreed to a tell all one million dollar interview.....

Reply #394
Straight to the airport boys, quick smart & get the hell outta there O0

Reply #395
Quality twisting of the knife by the SACA, giving Rabada man of the series. They lead every other cricket board in the world giggling and sniggering at our board's knee jerk overreaction to ball tampering, and they want us to know it

Reply #396
Agreed Prof, this lot started  their 2nd Innings with a lead north of 250 runs, then spent most of the next day batting at below a RR of 3. If you want to know why Test Cricket is rumored to be dying there is your prime example!

Unlike many I didn't expect any different, the Saffies have been doing it for a decade and claiming he spoils while lots of other countries try to lift the image of the game!

Thing is they are 2-1 up in the last Test. They're job to win the series, not necessarily the Test, which a draw would do, so they bat us right out of the game so we have absolutely no hope of tying the series. That's there only responsibility. It's not their job to declare, it's our job to bowl them out.

Reply #397
Quality twisting of the knife by the SACA, giving Rabada man of the series. They lead every other cricket board in the world giggling and sniggering at our board's knee jerk overreaction to ball tampering, and they want us to know it

I thought Markram deserved it, blunted our very good attack and played cricket in a good spirit, Rabada deserved a suspension not a reward....the ICC should have suggested he wasnt suitable given his behaviour.

Reply #398
Freddy Flintoff, more man than all the finger-pointers combined?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #400
Langar or Gillespie?.......Langar looks like he is going to get the job and I have no doubt its a player inspired choice as much as anything.
I agree with Ian Chappell and would prefer Gillespie who has had great success in England with Yorkshire and appears a more rounded individual and less inclined to play favorites and also has a world view on the game.

Langar IMO is more of the same as we got with Lehmann, will be popular with the players and will look after the main core group but wont be so keen to make major changes or look to new talent especially if its from outside WA and more specifically the Perth Scorchers..

Reply #401
Langar or Gillespie?.......Langar looks like he is going to get the job and I have no doubt its a player inspired choice as much as anything.
I agree with Ian Chappell and would prefer Gillespie who has had great success in England with Yorkshire and appears a more rounded individual and less inclined to play favorites and also has a world view on the game.

Langar IMO is more of the same as we got with Lehmann, will be popular with the players and will look after the main core group but wont be so keen to make major changes or look to new talent especially if its from outside WA and more specifically the Perth Scorchers..

It should be Gillespie by some margin, imho.

Langer is a little too close to the establishment and is getting favors at the selection table that make him look better than he really is! If Langer gets the job the Marsh boys will be welded into the team!

The warning signs are things like Langer gets key players released from national duty for local games, but his opposition coach/team don't get the same treatment even if their players sit around as extras on the big stage.

So I suspect it should be Gillespie, but will most likely be Langer.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #402
Langer would be more of the same old same old, I think they will sense the winds of change and pick Gillespie, I really hope they do

Reply #403
Gillespie by a wide margin.  Langer nowhere near it.

His "aw shucks" humility when he played was painful to watch.  Fake.

Reply #404
Another international team done for ball tampering.   Seems like they never learn.   Now for The year long bans and appropriate action.

Time to pad up Sutherland....  
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?