Skip to main content
Topic: Do We Need A Bag Of Flour ?? (Read 5787 times) previous topic - next topic

Do We Need A Bag Of Flour ??

I've been reading the extracts in The Age from the Hawks new book "Playing To Win" and it has some very interesting revelations in it.

First of all was Clarkson's view 5-years ago on how to beat Geelong and used a white shark as an analogy.

The part that really has me interested was his use of a bag of flour to signify the difference between onfield & off-field personalities.

All of those in the room, he said, waving his hand around, were "good lads" with "good values". Half of them were so laid-back and gentle off the field they "wouldn't hurt a fly".

But this preliminary final would require a personality change for all of them. When they crossed the white line, he said, they had to become different people, like warriors going to battle, prepared to do whatever it takes – within the laws of the game – to secure victory.

Clarkson cited the case of Damien Hardwick, the former Essendon and Port Adelaide player who had been one of his assistant coaches before securing the senior coaching role at Richmond: there was no nicer person off the field, he said, and no harder, more competitive beast once he crossed that line.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/white-line-fever-20140215-32t4t.html#ixzz2tRS4dQMq

How many of our players need to get a bag of flour or are capable of morphing into that personality ?? Clearly, the difference between winning a premiership and being an also-ran is in there somewhere.

"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Re: Do We Need A Bag Of Flour ??

Reply #1
IMO this is where Mick seperates himself from your average coach. He knows how to get his chargers up. Not sure if he has ever used a shark, or a bag of flour, but he has numerous stories to call upon.

He and Sheedy, are very well read and use their knowledge of battles to inspire. Most often on ANZAC day, but not limited too.

Mick may not use a bag of flour, but he can inspire just the same.

Reply #2
I call it white line fever. For me it comes naturally. I used to play soccer with a guy who was as quiet as a mouse, on and off the pitch, me and our captain had to 'teach' him how to play 'angry' !! He learned and became a valuable contributor to our team !!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #3
If you need props like a bag of flour to get your team up, I reckon you need another career.  Talking about on and off field personalities isn't going to cut it either.

I'm not saying that a coach can't change players' attitudes and behaviour but it won't happen in the week leading up to game.  If I remember correctly, Hawthorn had adopted "unsociable football" early in Clarkson's tenure and being prepared to do whatever it takes was the way they went (and still go) about their football.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #4
If you need props like a bag of flour to get your team up, I reckon you need another career.  Talking about on and off field personalities isn't going to cut it either.

I'm not saying that a coach can't change players' attitudes and behaviour but it won't happen in the week leading up to game.  If I remember correctly, Hawthorn had adopted "unsociable football" early in Clarkson's tenure and being prepared to do whatever it takes was the way they went (and still go) about their football.

This unsociable football you talk about,  isn't that just another name for snipers? 
The biggest of them all being their captain. >:(
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #5
I don't get the flour reference?

Roll them in it to find the wet spot?

Reply #6
I don't get the flour reference?

Roll them in it to find the wet spot?

Disturbing LR, disturbing!
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #7
Every time I see this thread I think of a big bad of weed. I don't know why but there you have it!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #8
This is what we need!

[flash=200,200]http://www.youtube.com/v/vxQUPni5BwU[/flash]

Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #9
Every time I see this thread I think of a big bad of weed. I don't know why but there you have it!

Takes you back to your youth obviously. ;D
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #10
I wonder how the bag of flour relates to Brereton's "line in the sand"?