Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 16: Pre Game Prattle: Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 35767 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 16: Pre Game Prattle: Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #135
I'm not willing to throw in the towel with Byrne yet. But he does have some work to do. Most of it is simply game awareness and that comes from being on the field. Unfortunately he is fragile, like too many of our players.

That's his big drawback and it will sap his confidence eventually if it hasn't already.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #136
I'm not willing to throw in the towel with Byrne yet. But he does have some work to do. Most of it is simply game awareness and that comes from being on the field. Unfortunately he is fragile, like too many of our players.

I think that he's a rare talent, quick, tough, good skills, naturally attacking and beautifully balanced, unfortunately his body might let him down.
When fit he'd be an automatic selection if I was picking the side.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #137
Am i missing something with Byrne?

Every man and his dog seemed to think he was a walk up start to take over the docherty role.
Yes, he's been injured, but he did SFA when he actually got a chance to play.

He's potentially a very good player but Docherty is in another class.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #138
I think that he's a rare talent, quick, tough, good skills, naturally attacking and beautifully balanced, unfortunately his body might let him down.
When fit he'd be an automatic selection if I was picking the side.
Has zero awareness and gets caught too often for mine.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #139
Has zero awareness and gets caught too often for mine.

He's played 17 games.

Reply #140
He's played 17 games.

...and how many good ones?

He's turning 24 in Dec.
How much longer can we afford to wait with him? He is supposed to be entering his prime years now and we still don't know if he'll even make it.

Reply #141
He's turning 24 in Dec.

If those who know believe that he has what it takes, but only needs continuity of games, then we keep him because he is right in the age bracket we are missing. 

Reply #142
If those who know believe that he has what it takes, but only needs continuity of games, then we keep him because he is right in the age bracket we are missing.

Dean Rice was 25 when we picked him up after the Saints de-listed him.....after 2 knee injuries, 1 reco....we all know what happened in his first game for us.  He went on to play 118 of the toughest, hardest & most valuable games for us after he was 26.

We used to be a club that stuck with blokes who were the right type of players.

Hope we can be again.

cheers

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #143

He's turning 24 in Dec.
How much longer can we afford to wait with him? He is supposed to be entering his prime years now and we still don't know if he'll even make it.

He'll survive purely because we are bad enough that he's ahead of others at this stage of the game.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #144
He's played 17 games.

He needs to get an extended injury free run before anyone can really assess whether he'll 'make it' surely?

Contracted till end of 2019.

But clearly good enough to retain on the list i.e. plenty of nuff nuffs will be chopped before him.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #145

He's turning 24 in Dec.

He's averaging around 15 touches a game and generally uses the ball very well, outstanding figures for the first 17 games by any standards and even more so when you consider that he grew up with another code.
The club extended his contract by two years when he was sidelined with a knee reco, so either they know talent when they see it or they don't, and if they don't then we have much bigger problems than Ciaran Byrne.

Reply #146

We've trusted, 'those in the know' before.

We've had 45 delistings in the past 3 years or so.
Sometimes 'those in the know' don't know $h1t.  :-\

Reply #147
We've trusted, 'those in the know' before.

We've had 45 delistings in the past 3 years or so.
Sometimes 'those in the know' don't know $h1t.  :-\

Yep.

This needs to be less emotional and more critical.  Ciaran is a nice guy.  Convert from another code, has been extremely unlucky, and irrespective of where he sits age wise, is simply another sub 50 gamer who wont make it to 50 games next season even with an injury free run at it.  He shows the requisite qualities to persist with, but thats only one part of this equation.

Going forward, do we gain more from keeping him than losing him?

i.e. his going will free up a list spot to be used for Player x.

Until we know what player x looks like, he stays.

Part of that decision making will be who else goes, and sometimes players move on you are not anticipating moving on in some scenarios (Clay Smith just retired after yet another knee injury).

Does Simpson play on next season?  We need him, but he could very well pull the pin.
Does Rowe go on next season?  100 games, and moving forward there are lots of kids vying for his spot, but we need ruck insurance.  Id say he stays.
Levi?  Does he decide this is too hard and finally gets a gig elsewhere?  Others may decide he could be a handy acquisition in another team, and if they miss Tom Lynch, they might want a big forward with sticky fingers (forget value, him leaving frees a list spot).
ACOS?  Retirement?
Mullet?  Crap?
O Shea?  Ditto?
Kerridge?  Done?
Lang?  Ordinary?
Lobbe?  Not up to it?
Phillips?  In demand?
Kreuzer? Broken?
N. Graham? Gone?
Thomas? Tired and done?

Then there are the kids who aren't kicking on either:

JSOS
Cunningham

Then there are all the other clubs looking at our list, and seeing value in a target that is currently in struggle town with us or perhaps simply wants to leave us ala Shaun Grigg.

If many of the above list end up leaving at seasons end, we have to work really hard to replace them with prospects and we have no idea what they look like.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #148
I have a better opinion of Lang than some on here, I think that with a full pre season and more games under his belt he'll be a solid player.
There's absolutely nothing to gain by cutting someone like Byrne and he's contracted anyway so the point is moot.
Thomas is playing good football and looks the fittest he has in years, Kreuzer is required without a doubt.
Graham, Mullet and O'Shea seem to be surplus, Kerridge and Lamb are borderline, Phillips isn't much good at the best of times and he's perpetually injured, Alex Silvagni is probably finished and Rowe isn't far off it.
There's plenty of scope to bring in new players without cutting some who can actually play the game.

Reply #149
He's averaging around 15 touches a game and generally uses the ball very well, outstanding figures for the first 17 games by any standards and even more so when you consider that he grew up with another code.
The club extended his contract by two years when he was sidelined with a knee reco, so either they know talent when they see it or they don't, and if they don't then we have much bigger problems than Ciaran Byrne.

Yep. Byrne's a keeper.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17