Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 16: Pre Game Prattle: Carlton vs St Kilda (Read 35439 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 16: Pre Game Prattle: Carlton vs St Kilda

Reply #165
Harry should play every game from this point on in 2018....

x2....Got nothing to lose and everything to gain... good for 2 goals a game....no brainer IMO.
Essendon kept playing Joe Daniher even when he performed in a ludicrous manner, we need to get games into Mckay, Kerr.
We got pumped by Brisbane...how can it get worse.....?

Reply #166
x2....Got nothing to lose and everything to gain... good for 2 goals a game....no brainer IMO.
Essendon kept playing Joe Daniher even when he performed in a ludicrous manner, we need to get games into Mckay, Kerr.
We got pumped by Brisbane...how can it get worse.....?

Personally I’d prefer non negotiable conditions, but I’ll conceed that the years probably gone beyond that.
Yet still, I’m not worried so much about kicks marks and goals, but tackles and hitting packs with intent.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #167
Just saw an interview with Marchbank, said hes seeing a cardiologist tonight, but wasn't worried about it because "its happened before"? i didn't know he had this recurring problem?

I'd send them all to the cardiologist!

Reply #168
I'd send them all to the cardiologist!

They have achieved so much they should be applauded, I dare you try and be an elite athlete with a pea-heart and see how far you get! ;D

(A accept that was a bit distasteful, but we all have good and bad days!)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #169
Harry should play every game from this point on in 2018....

If he was going to be selected you would have thought that it would have been last week, there's obviously something going on there that we supporters know nothing about.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #170
The media are beating it up, who motivates them, and why?

McKay is +200cm, fast moving and almost 100kg if not more, and had zero marks in his last game in almost perfect conditions on a narrow ground that forces players to lead up the corridor!

Fans talk about his goals, but in reality several of them came through roving to other players, that is not what you want from your 200cm x 100kg KPP!

Further more, he's been a lucky recipient of a number of goals through free kicks and 50m penalties, some of them unrelated to anything he did, and by team standards would be goals attributable to Lamb, SPS or Thomas!

When someone like Maher bangs on about McKay in the media, does he really want him in the team, or is he trying to beat up his worth as trade bait?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #171
I have been saying for a while, as have others, that there is something going on behind the scenes which explains why he isn't getting a game. Whether it be due to attitude, not meeting KPIs or something else, we just don't know.
Obviously the media are none the wiser, although the cynic in me would say they know exactly what's going on and just want to make trouble. Unfortunately the club are damned if they do, damned if they don't. If they come out and say McKay isn't doing what he's told, or he has a poor attitude, then it seems very harsh to publicly humiliate a 20 yr old guy, and may be poor for his development. If they stay silent, fans and media criticise them for not playing a seemingly good option.

Reply #172
I have been saying for a while, as have others, that there is something going on behind the scenes which explains why he isn't getting a game. Whether it be due to attitude, not meeting KPIs or something else, we just don't know.
Obviously the media are none the wiser, although the cynic in me would say they know exactly what's going on and just want to make trouble. Unfortunately the club are damned if they do, damned if they don't. If they come out and say McKay isn't doing what he's told, or he has a poor attitude, then it seems very harsh to publicly humiliate a 20 yr old guy, and may be poor for his development. If they stay silent, fans and media criticise them for not playing a seemingly good option.

This detail gets fed to the media by someone, it's not an accident, the player himself, the players manager, a family member, another clubs list manager, a disgruntled support(Someone of note), a Carlton staffer, another Carlton player. At other times it can be purely a guess, but in this case as fans we know there have been rumors, the public see and hear stuff.

And you are right the club cannot win, the best they can do is find a way to shut it down, if they are scurrilous the best way to address it may be to have McKay himself call out the bullsh1t by fronting the media! But if he's is even slightly disingenuous they will rip him apart!

For what it's worth I agree with your perception, it appears is something not right between the club(As in coaches, players and Admin) and McKay! We know there have been rumors around for some time about off-field issues, but again we do not know if they are a cause or an effect.

Some will never accept McKay laughing in the stand last weekend, to some extremists he signed his death warrant that day no matter what the circumstance!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #173
The laughing in the stands doesn't worry me too much.
He looked like he was embarrassed to be on the big screen, and really, does it matter if he was laughing?
Like someone said, people even have a laugh at a funeral. (not specifically aimed at you LP)

Reply #174
The laughing in the stands doesn't worry me too much.
He looked like he was embarrassed to be on the big screen, and really, does it matter if he was laughing?
Like someone said, people even have a laugh at a funeral. (not specifically aimed at you LP)

The trouble is it's like Barrett claiming his laughter at Barry Hall was an uncomfortable laugh.

The effects of Pareidolia come into play. You've been told it's an uncomfortable laugh before you even look at the video, so you think it's an uncomfortable laugh, you cannot unlearn the prior information. It's like the tabloid reporter telling you just look at this slimy person in the following video, you'll watch it and determine the subject is a creep. See the face of god in this piece of toast, hear the word Yanny or Laurel. Some of you may recall a famous episode of The Simpsons that made an issue of how this works!

It happens for speech, vision, touch and written word.

Barrett relied on that which is why he got on the front foot before most people heard the audio. It's a common media trick, and it's used in print and broadcast media. It can be as simple as the choice of song they play before a story is reported, and marketing people have known about those effects for decades!

The people who watched the video and saw McKay laughing at the team's efforts, will forever look at the video and see McKay laughing at the team's efforts! The people who heard that McKay laughed at the teams effort before they watched the video, are more likely to agree with that perspective. The people who heard McKay laughed uncomfortably about being on the big screen, are more than likely to agree with that!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #175
The tv thing was a furthy.

Leave it in bullcrap land where it belongs.

Read the article on the second to last page in the HUN about why Harry isn't playing.

He isn't working hard enough, isn't applying enough pressure, isn't contested marking, and isn't scoring heavily in his last few outings in the VFL (scored 1 goal from 3 games and averaging about 12 posessions and less than 1 tackle a game) AND he hasnt played much footy over the last 5 weeks because we have had a couple of buy's in the VFL.

The club has pointed to his limited preparation and lack of pre season for reasons but those numbers are pretty damning.

If we play Levi after dropping him and him not having a VFL game the match committee's credibility would be shot.
McKay or Kerr surely must play, who knows what we'll do if the other three don't come up.
They all play in the back half so I can feel another O'Shea and Mullet coming on.

Im not sure.  I think a 100 gamer getting dropped gets the message, without necessarily having to go to the VFL to redeem himself, particularly considering the personnel available to take the available positions.

That being said, I think its time we played Kerr, Mckay or Lobbe instead, but I still think Levi can come back in, and whilst he wasnt very good against Port Adelaide, Levi straightens us up and allows Curnow to go roaming in ways the others don't.

My bigger concern is whether or not Simpson comes back in.  If he plays there is no way that last debacle occurs.  I dont think we can afford to play without him.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #176
The trouble is it's like Barrett claiming his laughter at Barry Hall was an uncomfortable laugh.

The effects of Pareidolia come into play. You've been told it's an uncomfortable laugh before you even look at the video, so you think it's an uncomfortable laugh, you cannot unlearn the prior information. It's like the tabloid reporter telling you just look at this slimy person in the following video, you'll watch it and determine the subject is a creep. See the face of god in this piece of toast, hear the word Yanny or Laurel. Some of you may recall a famous episode of The Simpsons that made an issue of how this works!

It happens for speech, vision, touch and written word.

Barrett relied on that which is why he got on the front foot before most people heard the audio. It's a common media trick, and it's used in print and broadcast media. It can be as simple as the choice of song they play before a story is reported, and marketing people have known about those effects for decades!

The people who watched the video and saw McKay laughing at the team's efforts, will forever look at the video and see McKay laughing at the team's efforts! The people who heard that McKay laughed at the teams effort before they watched the video, are more likely to agree with that perspective. The people who heard McKay laughed uncomfortably about being on the big screen, are more than likely to agree with that!

I saw it live. I am pretty sure the first time it was shown it wasn't even commented on by the w4nkers in commentary. So no interference in my perception there. But I take your point about peoples perceptions being open to influence.

Reply #177
I saw it live. I am pretty sure the first time it was shown it wasn't even commented on by the w4nkers in commentary. So no interference in my perception there. But I take your point about peoples perceptions being open to influence.

Now extend this to the way The Pudding Face Twins get on the front foot when their player is heading to the tribunal.

Think about this in the context of Gloch and Dangerfield making public statements prior to the Curnow case reviews. There is a reason contempt of court is an offense, and Gloch is basically guilty of it, but then he probably "Is the Court" in that case because he hires and fires all the relevant actors!

I've long had a problem with our clubs marketing and media crew, I'm not sure we are professional enough, we are certainly passive and not proactive!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #178
One change for certain come tomorrow night: Andrew Phillips will miss the remainder of the season.  >:( Just when he was showing something. :(
Lobbe played his best game for the Northern Blues last time we played, but I'd much prefer to see McKay come in. Considering how rarely I get what I want when it comes to ins and outs, I'm not holding my breath.

Simpson is no certainty to return, but I can hope that he can. We need him down back.

Marchbank is no certainty to be available either, but he is in the picture. I don't think we could risk him: we certainly cannot have him not see the game out. As it was, he started very well last week, to disappear totally from the game after quarter time. Not match fit in my not always humble opinion.
Who to bring in? Good question. Not many good answers.

Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #179
One change for certain come tomorrow night: Andrew Phillips will miss the remainder of the season.  >:( Just when he was showing something. :(
Lobbe played his best game for the Northern Blues last time we played, but I'd much prefer to see McKay come in. Considering how rarely I get what I want when it comes to ins and outs, I'm not holding my breath.

Simpson is no certainty to return, but I can hope that he can. We need him down back.

Marchbank is no certainty to be available either, but he is in the picture. I don't think we could risk him: we certainly cannot have him not see the game out. As it was, he started very well last week, to disappear totally from the game after quarter time. Not match fit in my not always humble opinion.
Who to bring in? Good question. Not many good answers.

Bolton was interviewed today. Simmo, Marchbank and McKay are playing.