Skip to main content
Topic: Northern Blues vs. Port Melbourne Sat at Preston (Read 8126 times) previous topic - next topic

Northern Blues vs. Port Melbourne Sat at Preston

Northern Blues vs. Port Melbourne
Saturday 16th August
Preston City Oval at 2:00pm

Northern Blues
B: Armfield M. Watson Dirago
HB: Wilkinson McInnes Russell
C: Holman Cattapan Johnson
HF: Temay Cripps Byrne
F: Wilson Anthony Reynolds
R: Warnock Lucas Garlett
Int: J. Gleeson Walton Haynes* T. Thomas Bransgrove Kreuzer Taglieri Johnston Totevski

Port Melbourne
B Langford Pleming Mascitti
HB Wooffindin Sandilands Magner
C Tynan Pinwill Cain
HF C. Johnston Johnson Davies
F S. O'Sullivan Connors Lange
R Robinson Baird T. O'Sullivan
Int Gordon T. Johnston Thornton Dickson* Purcell Wilsen Rowe Hogan Marigliani

Fair dinkum, we have so few listed guys out there!

Not likely to be a successful game, but maybe our underachievers will come good this week. And maybe the horse will learn to sing.
Live Long and Prosper!

Re: Northern Blues vs. Port Melbourne Sat at Preston

Reply #1
Saturday 16th August
Preston City Oval at 11:00am

Northern Blues
B: Johnston M. Gleeson D. Watson
HB: McDonald J. Roberts Posar
C: Totevski Jenkins Hunt
HF:Tardio Walton McCann
F: T. Thomas Dufficy Dorman
R: Bolger Taglieri J. Gleeson
Int: Sutton Yelland Evans Kur Grimes H. Curnow K. Roberts Keegan Callaway

Port Melbourne
B: Vearing Wilsen Henderson
HB: Plant Woodley Michaliades
C: Woods Muling T. Johnston
HF: Hogan N. Prowse Scipione
F: C. Johnston Clarke Pearson
R: C. Prowse Hayes McKenzie
Int: Raru Neal Breust Keogh Knowles Rowe Purcell Anderson Macmillan
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
Saturday 16th August
Preston City Oval at 2:00pm

Northern Blues
B: Armfield M. Watson Dirago
HB: Wilkinson McInnes Russell
C: Holman Cattapan Johnson
HF: Temay Cripps Byrne
F: Wilson Anthony Reynolds
R: Warnock Lucas Garlett
Int: J. Gleeson Walton Haynes* T. Thomas Bransgrove Kreuzer Taglieri Johnston Totevski

Port Melbourne
B Langford Pleming Mascitti
HB Wooffindin Sandilands Magner
C Tynan Pinwill Cain
HF C. Johnston Johnson Davies
F S. O'Sullivan Connors Lange
R Robinson Baird T. O'Sullivan
Int Gordon T. Johnston Thornton Dickson* Purcell Wilsen Rowe Hogan Marigliani

Fair dinkum, we have so few listed guys out there!

Not likely to be a successful game, but maybe our underachievers will come good this week. And maybe the horse will learn to sing.

You're right Capt Crash, this is not likely to be pretty! I've convinced myself that I'm going tomorrow for two reasons only... to see how Kreuz and some of the potential senior boys are coming along (esp Byrne, Johnson, Holman, 206, Den Den, Reynolds etc) and to give our folks on this site some of my humble thoughts and observations.  :)
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #3
Thank you for your humble thoughts. I wish I could get there myself, even though things are not probably going to end well.

I simply hope that someone steps up today and deserves a game next week. We are going to need someone to replace our host of injured players from last night.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #4
The development side went down by 16 points: a pretty impressive effort for a side with so many players unavailable.

The maingame has begun and begun well: Warnock to mids to Watson to goal. Unfortunately it hasn't remained quite so good, but at Blues 1 - 2 - 8 to Port 2 - 3 - 15 (with Connors having both goals) we are not too bad.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #5
Blues 2.2.14, Port 2.5.17

Considering positions on the ladder and available troops, this is not a bad effort.
Goals: Watson & Reynolds
DISPOSALS: Dirago 9, Garlett 9, Lucas 8, Cattapan 8, Cripps 7
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #6
Sounds like Jeffy is putting in this game. Two grabs to Kruezer as well.  ;D

Reply #7
As expected the NBs got a hiding. However, the undermanned NBs held their much stronger opponents for periods of the game... there was certainly plenty of spirit and effort, just too many blokes not quite up to it and some silly mistakes were also made... especially as each quarter wore on.

Rarely do I notice or even have a dig at the umpiring, but fair dinkum some of the decisions and non-decisions today were not in the spirit of the contest and were just downright baffling... a 'ran too far' against Cripps was farcical.

Ye Rat O' the River... you didn't miss too much in the final qtr. Also thought I'd leave early but we did what we did in the other quarters... started well then faded badly. Though you did miss something that I suspect will be on CNN through the night... Watson led quickly, marked and goaled - all in the same 40 seconds of play!!! Then he marked again later, judged it better than 2 opponents, and goaled  :o

Good to see a lot of the senior players there and coaches (including MM). Also good to see MM putting a bit of extra time (chatting to away from the main group at the changes) into Cripps, Jeffy, Johnson, Watson and Byrne. Bet you see two or three of those blokes selected for the Powerless game next week.

Okay, the most important thing about today (and the major reason I went... apart from the pies - once a week I allow myself to chow down on this Aussie delicacy) - Matty Kreuz.

The big fella (MK) played 3 quarters and moved well and put in hard. Rucked around the boundary throw-ins and outpointed his opponent on most occasions. Liked what I saw. No doubt against Box Hill next week he'll probably play the entire match then likely get ready for 2015 having had two confidence strengthening hit outs. Looked to really enjoy himself as well.

Lucas - Got a lot of the aggott. Ran well, contested well and then most times he got the ball it was as if his brain would ask, 'now what would be the worst option or way to dispose of this thing?'  >:(

Watson - busy up forward but when the real heat was on, went missing but then so did a lot of his mates. Still seems a bit lost in terms of how to play forward though got it right a couple of times in the last quarter. Chased a bloke and almost caught him!!!! Sarcasm to one side, it was good to see him giving his all though I did see him duck his head in fear in a contested marking situation late in the game - not a good look.

Warnock - Lazy. But he did take a mark... yes, a real, one grab mark. Sorry... no need for that  ;) With MK on the way back and Wood doing what he is doing, 206 really has fallen back and did little today to make a statement re a recall to the seniors.

Cripps - mixed bag. Flashed into and out of the game. Too quiet in the first half but really picked up the pace after half time. V good in the last quarter but by then the horse had well and truly bolted. Actually looked a little lost at times which RR noticed also. Didn't seem to know, at times, where to put himself.

Temay - started okay (in defence) but slowly faded.

Holman - liked his game. Did some strong things and showed more of his early season form and endeavour. Will be watching his development with keen anticipation!

McInnes - better than I've seen for a while. Got to contests and was busy. Sadly, nothing to get excited about.

Jeffy - reckon it was his best hit out for the NBs since being demoted. Lively and his defensive focus was much better. Bit of the 'old Jeffy' on display. Be surprised if he's not given a call up... especially seeing how our stocks are at present!

Reynolds - back up forward and really does know how to position himself and lead. Took some good grabs but still a way to go.

Johnson - spent time in the middle and I liked his hardness around the pill and at the man. When he tackles 'em, they stay tackled. Obviously learning and really does look likely.

Byrne - Just keeps improving. Hard to believe he's probably not played more than a handful of games. Thinks well and disposes of the ball well... Lucas could learn something about disposal from our Irish lads.

Dirago and Anthony of the Preston boys were good in defence. Box was his usual hard at it self.

Reply #8
Baggers, you are a champ !! Loving these reports, they are much appreciated !!

The best news out of this last report for me is the improvement of the 2nd Irishman, Byrne. Great to hear !!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #9
Question re: Cripps....did he pick up the pace after half time or had the game slowed down so he could compete better?

Reply #10
Question re: Cripps....did he pick up the pace after half time or had the game slowed down so he could compete better?

Got a hunch he copped a rocket at half time. His endeavour definitely improved after half time.

Reply #11
Not sure of his qtr by qtr stats were but Cripps ended up with 25 disposals, 17 contested.

Reply #12
Thanks for the update Baggers.  Appreciated.

Reply #13
Cheers Baggers.

Good report.

Watson got three, were they good or simple?
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #14

Got a hunch he copped a rocket at half time. His endeavour definitely improved after half time.

Cheers....