Skip to main content
Topic: Road to Rio (Read 11131 times) previous topic - next topic

Road to Rio

Not long to go....
Bit of bad news.
Sally Pearson has torn a hamstring and won't be competing.

Re: Road to Rio

Reply #1
Get Danksy on to that right now and she'll be right.

Reply #2
Not the sort of news we want to hear, but just because we don't want to hear it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I am finding it very difficult to get motivated for these Olympics, something that is not normally the case. The Road to this Olympic Games is paved with Zika Virus (frightening enough at the best of times), Monumental Corruption (the government of Brazil is lucky to have survived), Drug Cheating (the whole Russian Athletics team, for example, is banned for drug use. Others should be!), Crime (it is just luck that athletes haven't been killed yet), Pollution (some of the Games' venues are unclean by any standards, and not just the water areas), incomplete venues (a perennial: Sydney and London have been the only ones really ready for decades) and real lack of interest (the Brazilian population haven't shown the interest and the rest of the world is afraid of the crime or the Zika virus).
It is just not what it could have been.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #3
Only really interested in the basketball and it appears the USA star players cant be be bothered playing...Curry and Lebron are already withdrawals...I guess it might even up the comp but I was looking forward to seeing the best players from every country go around...

Reply #4
Not the sort of news we want to hear, but just because we don't want to hear it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I am finding it very difficult to get motivated for these Olympics, something that is not normally the case. The Road to this Olympic Games is paved with Zika Virus (frightening enough at the best of times), Monumental Corruption (the government of Brazil is lucky to have survived), Drug Cheating (the whole Russian Athletics team, for example, is banned for drug use. Others should be!), Crime (it is just luck that athletes haven't been killed yet), Pollution (some of the Games' venues are unclean by any standards, and not just the water areas), incomplete venues (a perennial: Sydney and London have been the only ones really ready for decades) and real lack of interest (the Brazilian population haven't shown the interest and the rest of the world is afraid of the crime or the Zika virus).
It is just not what it could have been.

Agree with you Crash. The Olympics is a snorefest for me nowadays - I have absolutely no interest at all. Used to be an avid follower of it. In fact footy is just about it for me as far as sport goes now.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #5
It is a pity it has gone downhill, but things are just not the same any more. Maybe that is a weakness in me?
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #7
Not content with shooting up their athletes, the russians are turning their attention to the locals!

Reply #8
I agree with you Lods.
I reckon the main stories about these games will not be about what happens in the sports arenas.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #9
Don't know if the Olympics are what they were.  Every sport has its world championships every year or two and if you are interested in that sport you can follow the best nearly all year round.  They also put in ridiculous sports such as golf and tennis.  At least with soccer it is U23 with the exception of a couple of players...

Then having the prospect of many athletes having to give their medals back due to cheating adds a high level of cynicism for a lot of sports.

I don't think that I'll be losing sleep over the Olympics.

Reply #10
Well the first hurdle is negotiated :D
Not a bad job with the opener ;)

Reply #11
Besides the "issues" with amenities, there seems to be a lot of countries complaining about cruel and unusual decisions being made in various sports this Olympics.

Could this become the "Corruption Games"?

Furthermore, what chance do you have when Olympic Officials publicly support confirmed drug cheats in medal ceremonies. If they want those sort of games rename the competition Roidlympics 2016.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #12
Team USA vs Aus in the basketball .....switch on CH7 now and you might see some history, Aussies in front at half time and shooting the lights out..
USA playing zero defense as usual with the same old attitude of it doesnt matter how many you score we will score more but it might be going to bite them this game as
they are not shooting well from the field and have started complaining to the refs.
Just hoping we can hang on and keep our better players on the court....

Reply #13
Team USA vs Aus in the basketball .....switch on CH7 now and you might see some history, Aussies in front at half time and shooting the lights out..
USA playing zero defense as usual with the same old attitude of it doesnt matter how many you score we will score more but it might be going to bite them this game as
they are not shooting well from the field and have started complaining to the refs.
Just hoping we can hang on and keep our better players on the court....

It was a terrific game, still just 4pts in it with 36 sec to go when Ingles missed a shot to bring it back to two. Had a feeling it'd be a tough game. How often would the USA have faced a side with 3 NBA championships rings in it albeit not quite the same depth. Aussies went hard at them physically, which changes things for a side that doesn't care much about defence. Aussies had the good old "Carlton" honourable loss...lol.

Pity Kyrie Irving, who had a brilliant last quarter, choose the USA given he as born in Australia and considers himself Australian, but, then again, who wouldn't. It was a tough decision for him though. Hearing him interviewed after his accent is half Australian and half American. If he was on our side I'd say we win.

Reply #14
 ;D
Race is only just over and former Adelaide/Port Player Brett Chalmers already has this up on his wikipedia page

Chalmers is the father of junior swimming world champion and Gold Medal olympian Kyle Chalmers.