Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW- Round 1 Carlton V Collingwod-Match thread. (Read 20273 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW- Round 1 Carlton V Collingwod-Match thread.

Reply #90
One small note of sobriety in the frenzy of feel-good responses over this competition:

I bet all those women who’ve been playing elite sport for years are REALLY chuffed at the saturation media coverage the AFL womens comp is getting !!!!! 
Thinking the likes of womens:  Soccer, Basketball, Cricket, Hockey etc etc.  How long will it be before any talented sports-women is moving from other less funded & media hyped sports to play AFL instead….

Typical AFL, trying to kill off any competing sports while trying to look like they are doing a wonderful thing for women.

To be honest, I think any female sportsperson would be stoked that a women's sport is gaining this amount of hype and support. We've long been overlooked in Australia, so any sort of positivity is a great start.

What it will do however is encourage these women to put more pressure on their sporting bodies to better publicise their sports.

I'm the President of a women's softball association and know first hand what a struggle it's been to attract and retain junior participants. The AFL and to a lesser extent the FFA have done an incredible job at marketing their sports to young female athletes. AFL in particular has exploded and is the fastest growing sport for women in the country. That's been building though for the best part of a decade, the AFLW is only the icing on the cake. I've seen my sport fall by the wayside because the people in charge have been too focused on their elite pathways and not invested enough in grass roots, and I daresay that other sports are suffering similarly.

I take my hat off to the AFL though, they had a grand plan, stuck to it and are reaping the rewards.

Reply #91
100,000?  I thought it was a tad over 30,000  ???

16,000 watched the Melbourne Victory - Atletico-Madrid game.

If the ratios for "special events" to "normal matches" sticks the next round of AFLW will attract about 3000 spectators max.

There is a rider though, the feedback from families after the AFLW matches was that they preferred to take their young kids to those games as the atmosphere was much better for families and children. No drunks, no abuse, no brawling.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #92
It would also be a bit of a boon for fathers of young girls.  I don't have any, but I'd imagine many would prefer to take their girls to see the women's footy rather than the Wiggles or Disney on Ice.  Financially, it's a winner at the moment as entry is free.  Buying a few buckets of chips would still leave a fair few dollars in the pocket.  But I'd imagine that admission won't be anything like entry to AFL matches for a long time even when they start charging.

Reply #93
If the ratios for "special events" to "normal matches" sticks the next round of AFLW will attract about 3000 spectators max.

There is a rider though, the feedback from families after the AFLW matches was that they preferred to take their young kids to those games as the atmosphere was much better for families and children. No drunks, no abuse, no brawling.

It's hard to know how the attendances will go in the second week.  Folk I know who went to our game are sold on women's footy and intend to go next week.  Folk who missed out last week are also keen to go. However, we're not playing one of the powerhouse teams. On the other side of the coin, it's now a double header and folk may want to take in both games.

I'd be surprised if we don't get 10,000 over both games.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #94
Seriously, why are some people so paranoid about the World Game, that they have to take any pot shot at it they can Sheedy style.
Get over it. Both codes can happily co exist.

Reply #95
I'm sure the w league are pretty happy to see women's afl football.

If nothing else more professional elite women's sports should filter upwards pressure on their own wages.

Not to mention they have alternatives to try if they weren't happy.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #96
Dom, why did the FFA pull out all stops to create the Western Sydney Wanderers when the Giants were about to join the AFL?  You would have thought they would have reasoned that there was no need to rush as the AFL and the A-League can co-exist and they aren't in competition.  Strange behaviour, wasn't it?

Reply #97
Dom, why did the FFA pull out all stops to create the Western Sydney Wanderers when the Giants were about to join the AFL?  You would have thought they would have reasoned that there was no need to rush as the AFL and the A-League can co-exist and they aren't in competition.  Strange behaviour, wasn't it?

You have your facts backwards.

WSW were identified before GWS was even thought of by the AFL.

Sydney FC were initially going to be based out of Western Sydney.

WSW are a washup of the old Paramatta Melita Eagles football club.

The AFL responded to the planned expansion of the A league, by shoe horning in a GWS side.  Why do you think that they have carefully ensured that they are much stronger than GC??  Because it was well publicised that FFA and Clive Palmer who were heading up Gold Coasts soccer team had a rocky relationship.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson