Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW Round 5: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 9648 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW Round 5: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs

Reply #15
Yes -well, we're a good chance next week, although it's at Domain Stadium, which doesn't help.

Reply #16
Was pointed out by Mel Hickey that the umps told them if the boundary umpire effectively throws directly to another player, they are entitled to hit the ball.

Basically saying the umps got it 100% wrong.

Not sure you can blame the rule for that, more the umps.

Mel Hickey was wrong!  The no third man up law does not allow for a shallow or astray boundary throw-in or ball-up whether or not it goes directly to a player.  It is a free kick if the ball makes contact with a player who isn't one of the two nominated rucks.

Mel Hickey's version of the rule makes more sense and there are calls for changes  ::)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #17
Stupid rule...
Imagine a "chaos" throw in win with everyone running away from the ball in case it hits them.

The umpires are smart enough (just ;D) to be able to determine if a genuine third man attempt is being made.
Incidental contact can be either "play on" or a bounce....fix it before the season starts.

Reply #18
I'm going to repeat what I have stated about this rule change in the past:

This will be one of those rules that gets over umpired initially and after about 4 weeks will be forgotten all about.

The tipping point will come when teams stop playing with ruckmen altogether at boundary throw ins.  We were fairly close to it on saturday when Korcheck arrived late to a ruck contest, and the umpire asked us to nominate a ruck.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #19
Stupid rule...
Imagine a "chaos" throw in win with everyone running away from the ball in case it hits them.

The umpires are smart enough (just ;D) to be able to determine if a genuine third man attempt is being made.
Incidental contact can be either "play on" or a bounce....fix it before the season starts.

The problem is that it is contrary to the primary objective of the game; get the footy.

Law 15.4.5 (f) could have been applied to stop the third man up (although I don't think it should) and allow play on when there is incidental contact.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #20
Mel Hickey was wrong!  The no third man up law does not allow for a shallow or astray boundary throw-in or ball-up whether or not it goes directly to a player.  It is a free kick if the ball makes contact with a player who isn't one of the two nominated rucks.

Mel Hickey's version of the rule makes more sense and there are calls for changes  ::)

See my post in the other thread.

Reply #22
I thought Bella Ayre looked like she was having a ball out there. She's just a kid. What a wonderful accolade.
Congratulations to Bella and the determined Tilly.

Go Bluettes.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #24
Since when have they been giving out rising star awards? First i've heard about it.

NAB announced that it was sponsoring the AFLW Rising Star and other aspects of the women's competition at the start of the season.  Rising Star nominations have been made after each round.

Reply #25
Forgive me for thinking this is quite stupid, but arent they all rising stars??

Its the inaugural season and in the eyes of Joe Average supporter who is only being exposed to proffesional womens AFL footy recently, all of them are rising stars.

Paul Hewson

Reply #26
Forgive me for thinking this is quite stupid, but arent they all rising stars??

Its the inaugural season and in the eyes of Joe Average supporter who is only being exposed to proffesional womens AFL footy recently, all of them are rising stars.

One would think so Thry but nominations are restricted to players who are 21 and under.  I guess if you have a sponsor wishing to throw money at the AFLW you come up with an award that they're happy with.

I wonder what they are going to call the best and fairest award; the Brownless?

Reply #27
So its an ageist award then...

Brilliant.  I can think of no better way to perpetuate the appearance of equality.

Paul Hewson

Reply #28
So its an ageist award then...

Brilliant.  I can think of no better way to perpetuate the appearance of equality.

Geez, other side of the bed Thry! :D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #29
Geez, other side of the bed Thry! :D

Yeah, its been that way this year.

I have a bit going on professionally which is making me scrutinize stupid decision making based on flimsy criteria.

Paul Hewson