Skip to main content
Topic: Looking for a Grizzly. (Read 6273 times) previous topic - next topic

Looking for a Grizzly.

Something GIC said in the Casboult thread about us being a team of introverts has me thinking.

As much as anything else we seem to lack an authoritative on field presence (I'm not necessarily talking about captaincy) and I'm not sure we have any waiting in the wings with the young group we've recruited.

Someone in the Jonathan Brown style of player, not necessarily in stature or ability but in terms of presence with a bit of mongrel.
Size helps but they don't have to be giants.

Our blokes are a nice bunch of cuddly bears rather than grizzlies.

Do we have a grizzly in waiting and who is it?
Who, from another club that may be available soon, would fit that criteria?

Re: Looking for a Grizzly.

Reply #1
Said it on another thread.

Sheehan could be one out of left field. Seems to be a see ball get ball guy that's a solid unit and runs straight.

Might not be the Grizzly your looking for but not many Irishman take a backward step.

Not much to lose giving him a go up forward. Just till a better option presents.

Reply #2
We get rid of players who have mongrel, they get labeled as anti-social and trouble makers, so we offload them under media scrutiny.

We are the ballet team of the AFL, all technical with no John Lee Hooker!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #3
I reckon Cripps might be more Grizzly than some give him credit for. Not quite JB or Luke Hodge style, but I reckon he has a similar kind of attitude, he just needs a few mates to back him up. Docherty is a nice guy in general, but I have also seen him get a bit of agro happening at times too, I'd like to see even more though! Weitering doesn't take crap from anyone, and has even shown he can dish it out, all be it in small doses so far. I think Charlie could be another player that could be all right in this area, keeping it under control, might be his problem!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #4
Something GIC said in the Casboult thread about us being a team of introverts has me thinking.

As much as anything else we seem to lack an authoritative on field presence (I'm not necessarily talking about captaincy) and I'm not sure we have any waiting in the wings with the young group we've recruited.

Someone in the Jonathan Brown style of player, not necessarily in stature or ability but in terms of presence with a bit of mongrel.
Size helps but they don't have to be giants.

Our blokes are a nice bunch of cuddly bears rather than grizzlies.

Do we have a grizzly in waiting and who is it?
Who, from another club that may be available soon, would fit that criteria?
And Lods I was going to say in that thread imagine if Cas was a leader and our captain? A massive presence in the fwd line who demanded the footy and made defenders nervous.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #5
They didnt show it on the broadcast last weekend, but apparently Harry Mckay got into Fisticuffs with one of the aints defenders.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #6
They didnt show it on the broadcast last weekend, but apparently Harry Mckay got into Fisticuffs with one of the aints defenders.

I think it was Webster.

Young Harry has a bit of attitude.  Apparently he and Ben liked nothing better than to belt the tripe out of each other
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #7
I think it was Webster.

Young Harry has a bit of attitude.  Apparently he and Ben liked nothing better than to belt the tripe out of each other

Ben is the more aggressive brother but I did see Harry engage with Webster and immediately thought thats good for the future ...our list is fairly devoid of mongrel..however I like the look of Charlie Curnow though, seems cheeky and happy to stick up for himself...

Reply #8
Ben is the more aggressive brother but I did see Harry engage with Webster and immediately thought thats good for the future ...our list is fairly devoid of mongrel..however I like the look of Charlie Curnow though, seems cheeky and happy to stick up for himself...

The draftees from that year all seem to have "spunk" (for lack of another word).

Who could forget Weitering in his debut turning to Jack Riewoldt and doing the thumb and forefinger "only missed by a little bit" when he sprayed one of his shots out on the full??

Jack SOS, telling Andrew Walker that he was wearing his number as a what 6 year old??  Now he's wearing it.

Harry Mckay's fightback against the Aints this past weekend is another show.

Cunningham calmly slotting the goal from training where everyone was round him giving him a ribbing at PP during the pre season last year shows that he has the ability to wear the attitude.

I like it.  Players who have character usually show it more frequently on field.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #9
Who could forget Weitering in his debut turning to Jack Riewoldt and doing the thumb and forefinger "only missed by a little bit" when he sprayed one of his shots out on the full??

I have it on very good authority Riewoldt was getting into Weiters big time for being No.1 prior to that little event. There is a little bit of history, in that Weiters is a relative of Liam Pickering by marriage, and Pickering manages Reiwoldt.

Hard to imagine Jack mouthing off! ::)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10
I'm afraid memory fails me here. But there was a game, maybe PS, last year where the baby blues got in a bit of scuffle. I remember it being near the boundary line and they (?? Charlie, SOJ ??) pretty much jumped in to help each other. That's a poor account I know....  :-\ maybe Rowe stepped in too...
Anyone remember?
Anyways I was impressed by the fieriness and comradeship.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #11
I'm afraid memory fails me here. But there was a game, maybe PS, last year where the baby blues got in a bit of scuffle. I remember it being near the boundary line and they (?? Charlie, SOJ ??) pretty much jumped in to help each other. That's a poor account I know....  :-\ maybe Rowe stepped in too...
Anyone remember?
Anyways I was impressed by the fieriness and comradeship.

That was the NAB game against Essendon at Princes Park.  Charlie and SOJ seemed very keen to get stuck in.

I spoke to Ed at the members function after the game and he was a little disappointed that Charlie allowed himself to be distracted.  While I could understand Ed's point, I was pretty happy to see the young fellows fly the flag :)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #12
That was the NAB game against Essendon at Princes Park.  Charlie and SOJ seemed very keen to get stuck in.

I spoke to Ed at the members function after the game and he was a little disappointed that Charlie allowed himself to be distracted.  While I could understand Ed's point, I was pretty happy to see the young fellows fly the flag :)

Well done DJC. Yes that sounds right.
Can't imagine why I couldn't remember the details ::)
I'm glad you, unlike big bro Ed, enjoyed the kids showing some attitude.
Maybe these kids will be our grizzly's.

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #13
I spoke to Ed at the members function after the game and he was a little disappointed that Charlie allowed himself to be distracted...................

And there's the current problem with our list, too many who'll runaway under the guise of being professional rather than stand up for themselves!

Reminds me of that game when Murphy got smashed and blokes like Everitt, Lucas and Tuohy just jogged to the next contest past their captain lying on the ground! If I'd been coach, Everitt, Lucas and Tuohy would never have played for Carlton again!

Sometimes flying the flag is not optional, you just have to do it!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #14
And there's the current problem with our list, too many who'll runaway under the guise of being professional rather than stand up for themselves!

Reminds me of that game when Murphy got smashed and blokes like Everitt, Lucas and Tuohy just jogged to the next contest past their captain lying on the ground! If I'd been coach, Everitt, Lucas and Tuohy would never have played for Carlton again!

Sometimes flying the flag is not optional, you just have to do it!

You may be being a little harsh on Ed LP.  His concern was more that Charlie allowed a bit of biffo to distract him from playing footy.

I suspect that we now have a coach who will encourage a tougher brand of footy.  Murphy bitchslapping Viney, Rowe throwing his weight around, McKay coming to grips with Webster, etc are all positive signs.