Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Jim Park Medal Analysis: (Read 12127 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Jim Park Medal Analysis:

Reply #45
Excellent effort Crash

If someone had told you at the start of the season that Liam Jones would finish 7th in this voting after playing only half a season you probably would have said to yourself
"Beauty, it sounds like we've solved that forward problem ;)"

...or you would have told them to ..."Wake up to yourself, and don't spread bullcrap!"

Reply #46
Excellent effort Crash

If someone had told you at the start of the season that Liam Jones would finish 7th in this voting after playing only half a season you probably would have said to yourself

...or you would have told them to ..."Wake up to yourself, and don't spread bullcrap!"

Yes, you're right Lods. Great effort by Giant Slayer Jones.

Reply #47
Excellent effort Crash

I'd have been questioning my sanity, to be honest. I thought he was cooked. He's had the desire, but it never quite worked out as a forward. Down back he is excellent. He also got good votes in the Liston Trophy, so the VFL umps recognized his excellence.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #48
Looking at the voting for the Jim Park:
[1] Matthew Kreuzer: the big lad managed to garner 8 BOG's from us, the voters. He was in the top 10 another 12 times, meaning that in only 2 games did he not have a significant effect on the game. That is a great effort for a guy who hasn't been close before.
Winning by 660 votes is basically 2 top games. Well done, Matthew Kreuzer!

[2] Marc Murphy: this has been Murphy's most consistent season. He had 6 BOG's, and was in the top 10 pace getters every single game. Now some of that has been when we were pretty ordinary, but that sort of consistency must serve him well when the John Nicholls is run.

[3] Sam Docherty managed only 1 BOG, but was in the top 10 a total of 19 times. That also shows the consistency that we have been looking for. Docherty remains one of our most important players. As it looks like he is gong to move into the midfield in the future, he will continue to produce huge amount of drive.

[4] Bryce Gibbs got 3 BOG's this year, but he was not as consistent as Docherty, Murphy or Kreuzer. Even so, he was very professional and was in the top 10 16 times.

[5] Patrick Cripps was 5th even missing a significant part of the season. He also managed 3 BOG's. Now, if he can only manage to survive for a whole season, he will challenge again for top spot.

[6] The first of the kids to really make an impact was Charlie Curnow. In the first half of the season he was in the top 10 only twice. In the 2nd half of the season he missed out only twice. He didn't get a BOG, but his development was excellent. Looking to big things from him in 2018 and beyond.

[7] Liam Jones: the 2nd of the real highlights. He played in the VFL for the 1st third of the season (where he managed to get the umpire's attention) before producing some of the most impressive defending we've seen for a long time. He was a real revelation. Only once from his rise to the seniors did he miss out on a top 10 effort.

[8] Alex Silvagni: he only managed a couple of games due to injury, but he made himself into a cult figure. There was only 1 completed game that he did not get a top 10 result. Had he played more, our already miserly defence would have been even better.

[9] Elder statesmen Ed Curnow and Simmo continued to show their worth. Ed's season was cut short by injury, but both he and Simmo were consistent performers. Neither got a BOG, but they were both regular top 10 performers. Simmo did not reach the heights that he has over the last couple of years, but he is still a major contributor in our defence.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #49
X2

Well done Crash - although I suspect that Murphy will win the John Nicholls Medal.

My sentiments precisely. Thanks for your enormous effort Crash.
Congratulations to our very own Tractor.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #50
And yet Murphy regularly fails to influence the course of a game.....very sadly.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #51
It's amazing the time and effort you're willing to put in when you enjoy doing something - well done, Crash, I enjoy your weekly summaries.

It is interesting that the top 5 have all bar one BOG for the season.  It is also interesting that two players that cause a bit of angst on this site - Murphy and Gibbs polled consistently well.  We must have got some recruiting right considering Murph, Kreuz and Gibbs were top draft picks and those who voted on this site had them all in our top 4.

Depending which side of the fence you sit on, you call this a success, or it points to the absolute failure if Murph and Gibbs are top 4.  Personally, I think it is a success and not their fault that they have been at the club that has been so poor at player development (IIRC Gibbs was put into the leadership in his debut season - crazy)

Reply #52
Yep, massive kudos to you Crashlander, a supreme effort~!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #53
Be interesting how many BOGs we get on Brownlow night.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #54
Be interesting how many BOGs we get on Brownlow night.

Not many!..."We're a 'champion team' (well...we're on the way to being one ;) :D) not a 'team of champions'..."

Our good performances this season have usually depended on all-round team performances and combination rather than depending on a Martin/Franklin performance by an individual.

But players like that are usually the difference between a 6 win year and a 15 win year....so we should probably get one....or make one out of material we already have (CC)  ;);D

Reply #55
Good work Crash

I voted 54321 on every game except r21 West Coast and r23 Sydney and came up with...

Murphy 43
Docherty 42
Kreuzer 36
Gibbs 30
Simmo and Cripps 26

I was pretty close to what the club came up with :D
Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #56
Good work Crash

I voted 54321 on every game except r21 West Coast and r23 Sydney and came up with...

Murphy 43
Docherty 42
Kreuzer 36
Gibbs 30
Simmo and Cripps 26

Nice work; you're on the same page as our coaches!  You may wish to keep it quiet though; the anti-Murphy, anti-Gibbs brigade will be accusing you of everything from improper dealings to bias  ;)

I was pretty close to what the club came up with :D
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball