Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW List Changes (Read 12559 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFLW List Changes

Reply #15
Now that the VFLW finals are on, it won't be long until the Draft comes up for the girls. Hopefully there are some good midfielders going around, that is what we need. We have some decent forwards, a good defence and some of the better rucks. But strengthening our midfield is the last step.

Pencil in Kerryn Harrington into the mid-field.
Playing with us at Diamond Creek and she is a gun. Can play anywhere.
Has size, reasonable pace and great hands. Basketball background.
And has little or no exposure to football growing up. She'll thrive in the AFL environment. Talented lady.

Reply #16
Pencil in Kerryn Harrington into the mid-field.
Playing with us at Diamond Creek and she is a gun. Can play anywhere.
Has size, reasonable pace and great hands. Basketball background.
And has little or no exposure to football growing up. She'll thrive in the AFL environment. Talented lady.

Welcome to Kerryn.
Hope she has a breakout year with the blue birds.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #17
I read today about a trans-gender player entering the AFLW. This is a real concern because we are not talking about an average sized person, at 190cm x 95kg (Almost Weitering Size) they will clearly be the biggest and strongest player in the competition.

I seriously think codes of contact sports should be regulated based on genetics to stop this sort of bias. There is a clear and legally definable demarcation that can be put in place based on chromosomes.

I suppose we could accept trans-gender players moving in the other direction, up the physicality ladder. But would it be fair in the future for Damian Monkhorst to get a sex change and play in the AFLW on big money?

How fair is it on someone like Chiocci to come up against such a player in a head on physical contest?

I suspect if this is allowed it's only a matter of time before money motivates someone or some club to do this deliberately, at which time the whole competition becomes corrupt. Will AFLW be recruiting trans-gender West Indian Basketballers next season?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18
I read today about a trans-gender player entering the AFLW. This is a real concern because we are not talking about an average sized person, at 190cm x 95kg (Almost Weitering Size) they will clearly be the biggest and strongest player in the competition.

I seriously think codes of contact sports should be regulated based on genetics to stop this sort of bias. There is a clear and legally definable demarcation that can be put in place based on chromosomes.

I suppose we could accept trans-gender players moving in the other direction, up the physicality ladder. But would it be fair in the future for Damian Monkhorst to get a sex change and play in the AFLW on big money?

How fair is it on someone like Chiocci to come up against such a player in a head on physical contest?

I suspect if this is allowed it's only a matter of time before money motivates someone or some club to do this deliberately, at which time the whole competition becomes corrupt. Will AFLW be recruiting trans-gender West Indian Basketballers next season?

This would be an unfair scenario, but the idea that this would become common is probably a misnomer or fear factor.

Not many people I know would undergo a sex change for financial gain particularly when you have to start the process early and from what I understand it isn't exactly cheap.

I do agree that the sports world has some huge challenges in this regard and I have no idea how to solve that particular issue.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #19
This would be an unfair scenario, but the idea that this would become common is probably a misnomer or fear factor.

Not many people I know would undergo a sex change for financial gain particularly when you have to start the process early and from what I understand it isn't exactly cheap.

I do agree that the sports world has some huge challenges in this regard and I have no idea how to solve that particular issue.

Having a few trans friends myself I can 100% guarantee that no one would go through this process just to play a sport...especially one that doesn't look like being particularly financially rewarding for quite a long while.

It's such a brutal process; emotionally, physically and socially. It's not a decision made on a whim, and is often seen as a life or death situation for those who go that journey.

As for this particular case, I feel torn. I am a staunch advocate for equal opportunity, but I also see how this could potentially derail all the hard work that's gone into launching this competition (rightly or wrongly). It will become such a focus of discussion and will only give the haters another reason to mock the competition.

Reply #20
There is a lot of confused people out there, sport should leave it to the genetics and stop playing and debating in the gray areas.

What happens when an unscrupulous club like CheatsFC enter the competition? Do you trust them when they can freely nominate a 7ft Trans-gender West Indian as their international rookie?

I know this is an extremist point of view, but AFLW just created a multi-million dollar monster and there are some who have a history of extremes.

It's such a brutal process; emotionally, physically and socially. It's not a decision made on a whim, and is often seen as a life or death situation for those who go that journey.

I don't agree that it would discourage people. I do have LGBTI family members including one that has been re-assigned. But, I also know of young women who have traveled to Russia to have their legs extended artificially to aid their modeling / acting career! A process that basically hospitalizes a person for about one year just for a couple of inches to meet a perfect specification, all for fame and profit!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #21
If your birth certificate says female then you can play in the AFLW, if it says male then you can play in the AFL.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #22
If your birth certificate says female then you can play in the AFLW, if it says male then you can play in the AFL.

Im not sure if you noticed, but last year apparently they implemented genderless birth certificates so that the child can choose themselves later on....

;D

Paul Hewson

Reply #23
Im not sure if you noticed, but last year apparently they implemented genderless birth certificates so that the child can choose themselves later on.... ;D

I'd like to be black, at least in certain features! ::)

It reminds of that old joke;

"An Islander guy walks up to a girl at the bar and asks, Do you have any Fijian in you?............."
The Force Awakens!

Reply #24
Im not sure if you noticed, but last year apparently they implemented genderless birth certificates so that the child can choose themselves later on....

;D

Well I have a 7 month old so I'll check when I get home lol.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #25
There is a lot of confused people out there, sport should leave it to the genetics and stop playing and debating in the gray areas.

A lot of sports have a womens division and an 'open' division. Stops a lot of the confusion just there. Not a 'mens' division, but 'everyone else who is not female' division.

Going into the definition of what a female is could be up for debate though.

Reply #26

;D

Not entirely true Thry.

It is now possible to change the gender on one's birth certificate to reflect gender re-assignment but birth certificates still record the child's gender.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #27

Did it identify the player and what club was involved?
Does the player have an elite backgound in another sport?

Reply #28
Not entirely true Thry.

It is now possible to change the gender on one's birth certificate to reflect gender re-assignment but birth certificates still record the child's gender.
Sure, but they were pushing for this to occur in social media and I never let the truth get in the way of a good gag which also sports a hint of a problem in relation to MBB's point regarding what gender your birth certificate says you have.

Paul Hewson

Reply #29
Did it identify the player and what club was involved?
Does the player have an elite backgound in another sport?

No history of the players past, only that they currently play in NSW AFLW aligned comp and have nominated for the draft.
The Force Awakens!