Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW Rd 2: - Carlton vs GWS @ Drummoyne oval (Read 14322 times) previous topic - next topic

AFLW Rd 2: - Carlton vs GWS @ Drummoyne oval

Another Friday night game, this time only on Foxtel @Drummoyne oval.

We travel interstate 3 times this season. Not really a great draw considered you only have 3 or 4 away games and there are only 4 interstate teams.
Anywho, this is our first time travelling and it will be a challenge for the girls.

Be interested to see how many changes we have from last week.

Anyone going to watch this game?

Re: AFLW Rd 2: - Carlton vs GWS @ Drummoyne oval

Reply #1
I would like to go, but it is not possible at this point, and I have very little chance of seeing anything on pay TV as we don't have it.
In fact, I'm not sure how I'm going to follow the game this Friday, but I will if I can.

I'm not sure that there will be any changes: depends on the fitness of Arnell, I guess.

We have an ordinary record away from home at this point. It will be good if we can win this one, as a result. We do have a bit of improving to do!
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
I would like to go, but it is not possible at this point, and I have very little chance of seeing anything on pay TV as we don't have it.
In fact, I'm not sure how I'm going to follow the game this Friday, but I will if I can.

I'm not sure that there will be any changes: depends on the fitness of Arnell, I guess.

We have an ordinary record away from home at this point. It will be good if we can win this one, as a result. We do have a bit of improving to do!

Is Loz carrying an injury? I noticed it wasn't her usual output on Friday night. No disposals and just the 4 tackles.

I reckon maybe Plane out for Keryk. We need help in the middle.

Reply #3
Is Loz carrying an injury? I noticed it wasn't her usual output on Friday night. No disposals and just the 4 tackles.

I reckon maybe Plane out for Keryk. We need help in the middle.

No news from the club about an injury to Arnell.

I'm worried that in a season that sees the opposition younger, bigger, stronger and faster she might have very little gain she can make.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-06/aflw-blues-coach-to-miss-after-hospitalisation
Hope all is well, a speedy recovery I wish him.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #6
No news from the club about an injury to Arnell.

I'm worried that in a season that sees the opposition younger, bigger, stronger and faster she might have very little gain she can make.

Yep, Arners was clearly off her game. Hope she's okay...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #7
Yep, Arners was clearly off her game. Hope she's okay...

Think she was commentating on another AFLW game on the weekend though.

Reply #8
Think she was commentating on another AFLW game on the weekend though.

Yep she did Adelaide vs Brisbane on saturday night.

She seemed ok.

Sometimes consistency is hard to come across, and she might just be underdone from a preparation perspective.

I did have another thought which adds a layer of complexity to womens sport, that she could be "up the duff" however, I dont think anyone would risk playing footy of all things if they knew....
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #9
Yep she did Adelaide vs Brisbane on saturday night.

She seemed ok.

Sometimes consistency is hard to come across, and she might just be underdone from a preparation perspective.

I did have another thought which adds a layer of complexity to womens sport, that she could be "up the duff" however, I dont think anyone would risk playing footy of all things if they knew....

It's probably a lower chance in womens footy than some other womens sports, given probably 90% or more of the players are gay...a lot less chance of an unplanned pregnancy. But if that were to happen, I dare say you're right, it's unlikely they'd chance playing a contact sport.

Reply #10
Arnell dropped.

CARLTON'S ROUND 2 AFLW TEAM:

Backs: A. Downie, B. Davey

Half-backs: R. Hicks, D. Hardiman, T. Lucas-Rodd

Mids: G. Pound, S. Audley, S. Li

Forwards: G. Gee, D. Vescio

Half-forwards: T. Harris, K. Harrington, N. Stevens

Followers: K. Shierlaw, S. Hosking, L. Brazzale

Interchange: M. Gay, S. Last, B. Moody, J. Hosking, K. Loynes

Emergency: K. Gillespie-Jones

IN: Hicks, Lucas-Rodd, Last

OUT: Arnell, Plane, Gillespie-Jones (all omitted)

Reply #11
It's probably a lower chance in womens footy than some other womens sports, given probably 90% or more of the players are gay...a lot less chance of an unplanned pregnancy. But if that were to happen, I dare say you're right, it's unlikely they'd chance playing a contact sport.

Yeah its hard to know.

Im not really sure, and to be frank it doesnt matter.

If she is right to play, we can only scrutinise her performance.  The fact that shes dropped this week means that she was likely playing under duress last week, and why is something that doesnt matter overly, but it does explain her performance or lack thereof.

It also sheds a bit of light on why we elected to change captain and kept her in as a vice captain.  Arnell may very well be carrying an injury which will hinder her entire season.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #12
Arnell dropped.

CARLTON'S ROUND 2 AFLW TEAM:

Backs: A. Downie, B. Davey

Half-backs: R. Hicks, D. Hardiman, T. Lucas-Rodd

Mids: G. Pound, S. Audley, S. Li

Forwards: G. Gee, D. Vescio

Half-forwards: T. Harris, K. Harrington, N. Stevens

Followers: K. Shierlaw, S. Hosking, L. Brazzale

Interchange: M. Gay, S. Last, B. Moody, J. Hosking, K. Loynes

Emergency: K. Gillespie-Jones

IN: Hicks, Lucas-Rodd, Last

OUT: Arnell, Plane, Gillespie-Jones (all omitted)
Note also the way the teams were organized: the AFL is their 'wisdom' stated that each club must line up like this at the start of quarters and after each goal. It was imposed on them this week in response to our game last week, but the only public comment so far from any club is that they will lay as they will play. If the game is scrappy and congested, so be it. They are out there to win.

Note also that this structure seems to make a mockery of the 16 per side historical structure, where there were no wingers. 6 players must be named in the midfield.

I also wonder just how much of the illness of our coach is coming from the stupidity of the AFL and their impossible demands? I am sure that if the men's coaches had been singled out like Keeping was, that there would be serious ramifications. I know of no coach at male level who would tolerate such interference.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #13
Note also the way the teams were organized: the AFL is their 'wisdom' stated that each club must line up like this at the start of quarters and after each goal.

I thought that was how we setup in Rnd 1 anyway.

Last year clubs went with the traditional no wings, this year they have all looked at shifting the numbers elsewhere.

I don't think it will make a smudge of difference!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #14
Conditions look crap.

If the normal weather filters are being used the rain is quite heavy.