Skip to main content
Topic: AFLW trade/poaching period begins (Read 10965 times) previous topic - next topic

AFLW trade/poaching period begins

Was unaware this was underway, but here is some important info....

Key AFLW dates

May 4                         Expansion Clubs presented their list strategies to the AFL

May 11-21                  Expansion signing period commences / closes

May 22                       2018 NAB AFLW Draft order set

May 23 - June 4         Sign & Trade period commences / closes

June 4 - 7                   Free agency period commences / closes

June 8                        Preliminary List Lodgement

Re: AFLW trade/poaching period begins

Reply #1
So far nothing with Carlton as yet.

Still no news on Bri Davey.

Melbourne have already lost 4 players to new startup team Geelong. Including big names Mel Hickey (former marquee player) and 'Rocky' Cranston (dreadlocked forward).

North Melbourne have only made 1 signing to this point, 2018 Premiership B+F winner of the dogs, Emma Kearney has jumped ship.

Given the state of our club, i'd be VERY happy if we managed to keep our players. It would be easy for them to walk.
On the flip side, perhaps our players are not wanted for the same reason.

Reply #2
So far nothing with Carlton as yet.

Still no news on Bri Davey.

Melbourne have already lost 4 players to new startup team Geelong. Including big names Mel Hickey (former marquee player) and 'Rocky' Cranston (dreadlocked forward).

North Melbourne have only made 1 signing to this point, 2018 Premiership B+F winner of the dogs, Emma Kearney has jumped ship.

Given the state of our club, i'd be VERY happy if we managed to keep our players. It would be easy for them to walk.
On the flip side, perhaps our players are not wanted for the same reason.

Vescio has snubbed an offer from North Melbourne and re-signed with the Blues.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #4
Good as long as she starts kicking goals again.

Gotta do more than wait out the back for the easy goal, especially with our midfield.

Heck, sounds like I'm talking about the men!  ;)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #5
Yep, so I can't find an article about it (not unusual given AFL mens is the main event at the moment), but an admin on one of the facebook groups I am on shared an update with the following text:

Darcy Vescio has agreed to stay at Carlton despite a juicy offer from the Kangaroos. - Fox Footy

Paul Hewson

Reply #6
Good as long as she starts kicking goals again.

Gotta do more than wait out the back for the easy goal, especially with our midfield.

Heck, sounds like I'm talking about the men!  ;)

Well if her VFLW form is anything to go by, she's getting back to her best. 17 disposals and 3 goals on the weekend.

Reply #8
If Darcy has renewed with Carlton I am a bit surprised we haven't already announced it, it's the sort of info you want out in the market place to help potential recruits decide which club they want to join.

However, it may pay to keep this area a little grey if you are trying to defend against poachers. Some ambiguity might help expose the enemy!

If I was a young AFLW player, I'd want to join a team that has the likes of Vescio, Davey and Harris.

I hope Bri renews her deal as well, but we have to expect a move from a few players given the current state of the competition rules. In some ways, we may be lucky Bri got her injury, it's probably caused a few potential suitors to cool off a little.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #9
The Hun reports that Norp have poached the Mo from the filth!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #10
The Hun reports that Norp have poached the Mo from the filth!

Done them a favor IMHO.  She's been all hype and no substance.

Paul Hewson

Reply #11
The bigger coup for them is Jazzie Garner. Absolute gun and craps all over Mo.

Reply #12
The good news for Carlton looks set to continue with Bri Davey about to re-sign:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/brianna-davey-latest-carlton-skipper-set-to-stay-at-the-club-collingwood-faces-own-battles/news-story/6e5dd001d2bc158c1ad3606cd4cc17c5?nk=bb230dc7fcea3d1c25f60352c659943d-1525930606

CARLTON appears to have won the battle to hold on to its captain and star defender Brianna Davey.

Although no contract has been signed, the 23-year-old is understood to be on the verge of putting pen to paper to remain in navy Blue.

Now how do we go about luring some decent mids?

Reply #13
The good news for Carlton looks set to continue with Bri Davey about to re-sign:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/brianna-davey-latest-carlton-skipper-set-to-stay-at-the-club-collingwood-faces-own-battles/news-story/6e5dd001d2bc158c1ad3606cd4cc17c5?nk=bb230dc7fcea3d1c25f60352c659943d-1525930606

Good news.

Reply #14

Given that Davey is still plastered all over the carlton website and everything else, i always thought that we had to have been a chance to keep her.......or our IT department is incredibly inept...which was a possibility.

So i do hope that she decides to stick around....and i'd let her keep the captaincy because as good as Sarah was, she isn't a Bri Davey.

As for the mids....well, i think we've built a side the same way i'd hoped we rebuilt the mens side. That is, get the hard to find book end type players sorted, and flesh out the middle with your easier to find midfielders later. If a player is contemplating coming to the club and they can see that we have the KPPs already in place, then it makes the club more attractive.

As for those bagging out Vescio, she was coming back from a knee injury and was still finding her feet. She will be a different player next year.