Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 13: Post Game Prattling-Carlton v Fremantle (Read 37305 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 13: Post Game Prattling-Carlton v Fremantle

Reply #180
He coached from the 80s till 3 years ago and was going great guns till he came to our rabble of a club. It was us not him.

We made a scapegoat out of him for sure but he was still a bad appointment.
I doubt that he really wanted the job to begin with but took it to stick it to Collingwood, and our supporters and members were never on board with him so it was a losing battle from the get go.
He was just another one in our long line of tactical disasters.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #181
When he delayed coming to The club due to his book launch I knew he wasnt fair dinky.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #182
When he delayed coming to The club due to his book launch I knew he wasnt fair dinky.

There was that, but he didn't get a fair crack at it anyway.
What strikes me is that we can seemingly take highly experienced, highly successful premiership coaches and turn them into hacks, yet here we are all these years later languishing on the bottom of the ladder after a new broom supposedly swept all of our error ridden past aside.
There's something very wrong at the CFC.
As for those defending Ratten, another abysmal coaching appointment in my view, they should ask themselves whether they would be so strident in their defence of him if he'd played his football at Richmond.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #183
The truth is we should have stuck with Malthouse.

The truth is any coach is only as good as the club. Malthouse had the best talent at the Eagles, and the best support network possible at the Pies. The Pies team from the early 2000's were not elite, but they had Buckley (their Judd) and recruited tough accountable players who could play to  a system, and Malthouse coached them well. The talent profile had certainly changed for the better by 2010, 2011.

He coached for too long. The year off (2012) was a big thing that is underplayed IMO. Once you lose the momentum, especially at his age, it's very hard to get it back.

You need to ask yourself why we were the only club interested in his services, before he came to us and also after. No other club went near him. It's a big tell.

Reply #184
What strikes me is that we can seemingly take highly experienced, highly successful premiership coaches and turn them into hacks, yet here we are all these years later languishing on the bottom of the ladder after a new broom supposedly swept all of our error ridden past aside.
As for those defending Ratten, another abysmal coaching appointment in my view, they should ask themselves whether they would be so strident in their defence of him if he'd played his football at Richmond.

Yes.

Reply #185
Being 70 points behind at half time has nothing to do with Malthouse.

I got to listen to three snippets on 3LO.  Mark McClure was ripping right into the Blues - commenting on the rubbish kicks that miss their targets etc.  He did give some praise for the minor points after half time but also knew that Freo were going half pace then.

Voting would be pretty hard I would imagine, as I wouldn't think that many were any good when the team is that bad.

Seeing a little of the Werribee v Sandringham day got me thinking...

If you were told you were going to lose by 70 points, what would you prefer the score to be (average points per game is 165 this season):
 - 150 to 80
 - 120 to 50
 - 90 to 20

Reply #186
Hard to be a successful coach when you don't have them cattle,  and those you'd have aren't utilised to their strengths.

BTW has our prez come out of stasis to say anything of value?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #187
Yes.

Another hypothetical.....as I love going over completely useless scenarios from the past in my mind....helps stave off insanity....or maybe it's an indication of the onset of it.  Anyway....

Would Hardwick still be coaching us if we'd appointed him around the time Ratts was extended ?

Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #188
The truth is any coach is only as good as the club. Malthouse had the best talent at the Eagles, and the best support network possible at the Pies. The Pies team from the early 2000's were not elite, but they had Buckley (their Judd) and recruited tough accountable players who could play to  a system, and Malthouse coached them well. The talent profile had certainly changed for the better by 2010, 2011.

He coached for too long. The year off (2012) was a big thing that is underplayed IMO. Once you lose the momentum, especially at his age, it's very hard to get it back.

You need to ask yourself why we were the only club interested in his services, before he came to us and also after. No other club went near him. It's a big tell.

A good coach will get alot more out of a side, even a so-called poor side, than a crappy coach. Might not win a flag but they surprise you with how many they win. Same in any sport. Coach is the 2nd most important person in a club outside of the recruiter. If it all come down to talent and not the coach then why have a coach.

2014 the Dogs were behind us on the ladder. Changed coaches to Beveridge and they are finalists then win the flag. Players were a year more developed admittedly but it was essentially the same group.

Last year, while we won 6 games, we led 7 times in last qtrs and lost. Fair effort for a young side. Despite injuries, this year is a failure so far and if we finish with just one win then you'd have to convince me hard as to why Bolton should stay. That's unacceptable. If we get a few wins, well, that might be different.

Reply #189
Last year, while we won 6 games, we led 7 times in last qtrs and lost. Fair effort for a young side. Despite injuries, this year is a failure so far and if we finish with just one win then you'd have to convince me hard as to why Bolton should stay. That's unacceptable. If we get a few wins, well, that might be different.

x3
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #190
Might just be Gibbs
Eddie B and big Sam didn't have the same spells. :D

Could be Gibbs.

Could be they are playing without 7 of their top 10 B&F player from last season.

Or Gibbs

It's hard to tell.

Reply #191

Abysmal? You're F joking. We had generally an ordinary side and we got to play finals within 2 years after being a basket case like we are now. Open your eyes and have a look at his record compared to every other coach since 2001. Would've been alot more interesting if he had SOS as his List Manager rather than that dud Wayne Hughes, given we were close to a PF one year. We turned other sinto hacks, he turned us around. Imagine a coach a Carlton recently having a better than 50% record, playing finals, and in the year he was sacked for Malthouse he still won 11 games in  an injury hit year. We'd kill for that now. He did way better than Pagan and Malthouse, two "gun" coaches. while you talk about abysmal appointments I'll point to the scoreboard. I know who wins that one.

Reply #192
Another hypothetical.....as I love going over completely useless scenarios from the past in my mind....helps stave off insanity....or maybe it's an indication of the onset of it.  Anyway....

Would Hardwick still be coaching us if we'd appointed him around the time Ratts was extended ?

Ratts contract was extended at the end of 2011, and if we appointed Hardwick then, with the same results, my guess is he would be gone by now.

Reply #193
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Carlton_Football_Club_coaches

24   Alex Jesaulenko   76   53   22   1   70.39   1978–1979, 1989–1990
25   Peter Jones   24   17   7   0   70.83   1980
26   David Parkin   355   219   134   2   61.97   1981–1985, 1991–2000
27   Robert Walls   84   55   29   0   65.48   1986–1989
28   Wayne Brittain   46   18   28   0   39.13   2001–2002
29   Denis Pagan   104   25   77   2   24.04   2003–2007
30   Brett Ratten   120   60   59   1   50.00   2007–2012
31   Mick Malthouse   54   20   33   1   37.04   2013–2015
32   John Barker   13   3   10   0   23.08   2015
33   Brendon Bolton   44   13   31   0   29.55   2016–
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #194
Bring back Wallsy!!!

Interesting.

Last 5 coaches under 50% including to high profile coaches.   Maybe Palmer is onto something.