Skip to main content
Topic: Yarran to jog in GF Sprint (Read 24895 times) previous topic - next topic

Yarran to jog in GF Sprint

Carlton’s Chris Yarran will be seeking some Grand Final glory of his own this weekend, with the Blues’ No.13 set to take part in the AFL Grand Final Sprint.

Yarran admits he isn’t doing any “special” preparation ahead of the big race.

“I’m basically going to wing it and see how I go,” Yarran said. “My plan is to go out there and put my foot down and hope for a win, but there are a lot of quick fellas out there, so I’m going to have my work cut out.”

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2013-09-23/yarran-to-tackle-afls-fastest

LOL. Why doesn't the 'winging it' part surprise me?  ;D
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Re: Yarran to run in GF Sprint

Reply #1
I heard Judd say that Yarran is like other athletes with elite speed in that his aerobic capacity is not great (I suspect it's better than Garlett's).  Yarran should be able to maintain his speed over the distance but the start will be critical.

While he says he will wing it, it wouldn't surprise me if he's working his butt off with the running coach (if we still have one).

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #2
Dangerfield smashed Jetta a couple of years ago so it will be tough for Yarran.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #3
Be interesting to see how he goes actually. I always think that he takes 15 - 20m to get into his stride before he pulls away. When he gets caught it seems to me to be in that first 15 - 20m.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #4
I think perhaps the most interesting bit of information in the article is the fact that he is friends with Michael Walters.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #5
I think perhaps the most interesting bit of information in the article is the fact that he is friends with Michael Walters.

Not really.

Him, Walters and Nic Nat grew up in the same Street in Midvale Perth and all played For Swans together.

"Two young men of different ethnic backgrounds: Yarran, proudly indigenous, and Sydney-born Naitanui whose parents came from the Fijian capital of Suva.

Their friendship is non-negotiable, born from growing up six houses apart and sharing everything that teenage boys go through.

Naitanui, the one with the school smarts, whether he was topping maths or acting as an accountant on footy trips. Yarran, with the quiet demeanour but ready smile and genuine warmth once comfortable in his space.

Michael Walters grew up in the same street and is on Fremantle's list after being drafted at No.53 in the same 2008 draft in which Naitanui went No.2 and Yarran No.6.

He visits his mother, who still lives in the street, and plays pool with Nico, just as they did as kids.

For Walters, tomorrow night will be about his mates - not the teams."
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #6

Not really.

Him, Walters and Nic Nat grew up in the same Street in Midvale Perth and all played For Swans together.

"Two young men of different ethnic backgrounds: Yarran, proudly indigenous, and Sydney-born Naitanui whose parents came from the Fijian capital of Suva.

Their friendship is non-negotiable, born from growing up six houses apart and sharing everything that teenage boys go through.

Naitanui, the one with the school smarts, whether he was topping maths or acting as an accountant on footy trips. Yarran, with the quiet demeanour but ready smile and genuine warmth once comfortable in his space.

Michael Walters grew up in the same street and is on Fremantle's list after being drafted at No.53 in the same 2008 draft in which Naitanui went No.2 and Yarran No.6.

He visits his mother, who still lives in the street, and plays pool with Nico, just as they did as kids.

For Walters, tomorrow night will be about his mates - not the teams."

Really?  You dont find the fact that Walters (disciplined by Lyon) and Yarran (Disciplined by Malthouse) grew up as childhood friends?

I do.

Paul Hewson

Reply #7
I don't find the fact what?

#united #reset

Reply #8
There are plenty of guys who are fast.

You need good top end speed, obviously, but you also need to be good off the blocks.

Be interesting to see how yazz goes. Wouldn't mind seeing Garlett and Eddy in it too so we can settle it once and for all.

Reply #9
Not the actions of a guy on the cusp of leaving a Club either?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #10
@DJC, Garlett has a big tank which was mentioned when we drafted him. He could easily run though the midfield.

Reply #11
Not sure I am happy with a guy with Known Hammy issues Running in this.

#united #reset

Reply #12
I thought Garlett is a faster runner than Yarran. Be very interesting to see them both go for it. Yarran is fast but I didn't think he was the fastest going around.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #13
I reckon Yarran has the quicker acceleration but Garlett can sustain it.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #14
I don't find the fact what?

Sorry poor english.  You dont find it interesting that they are friends, yet share the fact that they also both needed a dose discipline?

Sure.  Running in the sprint is more interesting than this fact.

Paul Hewson