Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 13: Post Game Prattling-Carlton v Fremantle (Read 37310 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 13: Post Game Prattling-Carlton v Fremantle

Reply #255
Kerr moves and acts like a real forward, lost confidence with his kicking after that passing fisaco to Kreuzer but he knows how to lead and get the footy
and the kid also doesnt mind a bit of push and shove either and is made of the right stuff,. We need to persist with him...

By all means, I doubt that he'll make the grade but I'll be very happy to be proven wrong.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #256
Kerr moves and acts like a real forward, lost confidence with his kicking after that passing fiasco to Kreuzer but he knows how to lead and get the footy
and the kid also doesnt mind a bit of push and shove either and is made of the right stuff,. We need to persist with him...

Yep, I've noticed we've give him some runs in the ruck as well, he has the leap and aggression.

When the coaches come out and bag his running patterns, I'm assuming this is one of three things;

- They are not talking about leading patterns.
 - They are offering a bog standard cliché answer to a press nerd.
 - They are idiots!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #258
Yep, I've noticed we've give him some runs in the ruck as well, he has the leap and aggression.

When the coaches come out and bag his running patterns, I'm assuming this is one of three things;

- They are not talking about leading patterns.
 - They are offering a bog standard cliché answer to a press nerd.
 - They are idiots!

They arent worried about his leading, they are worried about the timing of his leading.

I.e.

Hes leading along with other forwards or he isnt leading when he should be or perhaps not as often as he could be.

Im no expert but thats how i interpret speak.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #259
They arent worried about his leading, they are worried about the timing of his leading.

I.e.

Hes leading along with other forwards or he isnt leading when he should be or perhaps not as often as he could be.

Im no expert but thats how i interpret speak.

That how I initially interpret the speak coming from the coaches, and I think it's rubbish.

Kerr's a natural forward, he is by some margin the best lead up forward we have, I'm not saying he is Fev or Lance, but he's better than the others we have. Kerr actually leads up the guts regularly, but our mids and HBFs are dead-set petrified of kicking it there! Either they have no confidence, or they do not want to chase if they fork it up, or they are told not to! As a result everyone ends up in a pocket!

The other problem is our mids and HBF mark the ball on the wing and go sideways, or the kick the ball on his head, or kick the ball over his head, or kick the ball 30m away from where he's heading! Which often results in our KPF, whoever it is, marking the ball 70m from goal!

If Fev was in the current team he would be going ballistic, taking off his boots and throwing them at the bench!

I am reminded of a Dev team I was involved in many years back, we had a coach who told the mids they had to run straight at goal, get the ball and go, even if it meant you ran into opponents. He coached this tactic because as the time we had a goal kicking but dud KPF, who couldn't think his way out of a paper bag but could mark and kick goals given a one on one. But, he gave and we got exactly one chance at leading per midfield play which the coach wasn't prepared to burn on a delayed exit from the midfield. In the end the opposition quickly learned our tactics and we lost the finals series, we had structured a game plan around a player's weakness.

It reminds me of Carlton, we can't kick so we don't, and in the process of trying to minimize mistakes/risk we remove all opportunity and unpredictability! We are a pre-programmed car crash!

If our kids have any talent, give them some advantage and see if they can make something of it, don't smother then to death trying to keep them safe!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #260
My interpretation was that it is more about repeat leads. Kerr leads well, but if the ball doesn't get kicked to him he seems to get lost and wander around rather than pushing hard back and going again

Reply #261
Reading the report in the Sunday paper it was pretty scathing, the only two players who got pass marks from the journo were Simpson and Cripps.
He said that Kreuzer provided something up forward in the third quarter and that Ed battled away although he butchered the ball.
Basically he said that we made every mistake in the book, and he quoted Mark Maclure as saying that it was the worst performance he'd ever seen from a Carlton team
So we aren't in a good place, the next couple of weeks will tell us whether we can show some resolve or wither on the vine.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #262
You're getting a bit radical now ProfE!

As much as he's been better this season, he just doesn't bring what we need 200cm players to bring, physical presence and intimidation.

Fans expect Murphy to be Hodge like, while at the same time giving some of our 200cm types like Levi and Jones a pass mark for bruise free and intimidation free football! There is a reason Kreuzer, Rowe and ACoS(When he's fit) stand out, and why in the absence of Williamson and Macreadie we look a bit soft!

But hardness can be stuff other than intimidation, it can be gut running like Murphy(Bradley being the A-Grade example), but other than Kreuzer our 200cm types don't bring that either! I'm not expecting them to be heavy weight boxers, MMA fighters or Olympic Triathletes, but they have to bring something of those characteristics if you are recruiting players like Wright, Fisher, SPS, Pickett, Le Bois, Garlett and O'Brien to play at their feet. It's Levi's absence of physicality that makes it impossible for our smalls to operate in F50, it's why I prefer Kerr long term because he is prepared to use his bulk to a team-mates advantage.

For Levi he has to physically intimidate opposition players, or he has to run the opposition ruck into the ground, the occasional mark jumping over the pack just isn't enough!

As much as fans like Jones, he's damaging our D50 because he won't mark the ball even when he's clear, our KPDs are in general gun shy to marking! Jones also not physically intimidating, but he does jump, run and chase, why not "set him free" and let him do that where it does far less harm! Not as a KPF, but as a small forward or HFF! We are chaotic going into F50 anyway, it's not like he is going to destroy our structure because as far as I can tell we have none!

Over analysing things perhaps LP?

I saw Casboult put Sandilands down, and he took quite a while to get up. That’s not a bad effort for a bloke returning after a broken rib.

I reckon Jones did pretty well with his marking too.

Jones and Casboult are the least of our problems; a shallow, undersized midfield and playing Simpson, Thomas and Lamb as defenders puts us behind the eight ball ???? to start with.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball