Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 21 Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Freo in Perth (Read 16180 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 21 Post Game Prattle: Carlton vs Freo in Perth

Reply #15
Yep it was crap.

In general I feel as though our blokes get called to play on super quickly frequently.   A stop and prop and it's play on.

This one in particular made me think it was a 50 metre penalty.   It was play on and he was pinged before he could react = player in the protected area IMHO.

Same thing nearly happened to Cripps later in the game.

Funny old game that!
I suppose it's the "Time of the season" .....but I found it really hard to get enthusiastic about the game at any stage...even when we were in front.
Hurry up end of the year. :(

Reply #16
Watching on a tiny screen is always hard work.

Usual mix of good bits here and there, with a lot of the usual. Good to see a few improved signs from SPS, he is getting involved and winning contests.

Our lack of possessions down back is one of the big problems. Our defenders are not able to share the ball, so the midfilders are too deep, resulting in shallow entries and the ball coming out fast. Too much left to too few as always

Oh well, only a couple of games left from a wretched season.

Reply #17
Polson dominated again with an amazing 5 disposals.

Career high perhaps?

JSOS 4 disposals, Pickett 8, no need to go on.

Too many passengers....

And it's not about them being young.....

If I was in charge Bolton would go season's end.

Ratts would get us top 4 with this list + a few good pick ups...

FMD... ????
Is that with this list or this 22 ?
There’s a slight difference...

Sack them all ????????
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #18

This one in particular made me think it was a 50 metre penalty.   It was play on and he was pinged before he could react = player in the protected area IMHO.

Agree
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #19
Had to go out so missed the second half - sounds like I didn't miss much.  :(

A very disappointing result in the end as we looked quite good, with a couple of notable exceptions, earlier on. It's amazing how those poor players and their mistakes eventually wear a whole team down and into submission. Saps the collective will.

Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #20
I thought this is a game we could have,  and should have won,  but when over half the side are passengers it's damn near impossible.

Same old story, not enough contributors, a litany of fundamental skill errors.

Oh,  and Freo have their hand on it if they think they are going anywhere with that 22.  At home,  with umpires in their pocket and they limp over the line - unimpressive at best.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #21
Cmon Proff, they had a few guys stand up all day and did what they had to do.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #22
Neale and Landon did 90 percent of the work, and lets face it,  if you can't beat a side with only 14 on the park (we had about 8 blokes who were there but didn't participate) you not travelling well.

On another issue,  we need to ask the AFL to please explain what Polson was pinged for. The tackler was clearly inside the protected zone.

Reply #23
Neale and Landon did 90 percent of the work, and lets face it,  if you can't beat a side with only 14 on the park (we had about 8 blokes who were there but didn't participate) you not travelling well.

On another issue,  we need to ask the AFL to please explain what Polson was pinged for. The tackler was clearly inside the protected zone.

Too slow taking his kick, umpire called play on and he was tackled from behind, like I said before if that had been Dangerfield, Martin etc he would have been given more time....

Reply #24
Too slow taking his kick, umpire called play on and he was tackled from behind, like I said before if that had been Dangerfield, Martin etc he would have been given more time....

I agree with Thry, tackler must have been in the protected area.
Tv didn’t replay with sound, but the commentators said the umpire said “Move it on” is that in the rules ? Or do the rules say “play on” ? I’d take “move it on” as a warning...
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #25
Cmon Proff, they had a few guys stand up all day and did what they had to do.

I'm with the Prof...Freo team on the park was carp, they had eight players with 20 games or less........Taberner, Cox and McCarthy isnt exactly forward royalty is it?
We didnt take our chances early to bury them, too many missed opportunities and then Neale, Mundy, Langdon took over around the packs and the above kicked goals on our leaky backline.
Players like Duman looked like champs as we kept kicking the ball to them, we had junior and senior passengers...Cripps got left to try and lift us and Daisy had to pick up the slack down back...too much left to few.
Annoying because we only needed a bit more effort from our senior players and we could have knocked them over....different to when we played GWS and just didnt have the talent, Freo just had a few more contributors for 4 quarters....

Reply #26
I think you’ve nailed it in your last sentence EB.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #27
I agree with Thry, tackler must have been in the protected area.
Tv didn’t replay with sound, but the commentators said the umpire said “Move it on” is that in the rules ? Or do the rules say “play on” ? I’d take “move it on” as a warning...

I think they use the "move it on" as a bit of a "prior  opportunity" to get things going.
It seems to be a  continuous sentence when they say it..."Move it on, play on"
So in effect it's a warning that quickly turns into a 'play on'.
Most players realise that even when the 'play on' call is made they still have a bit of time to dispose of the ball.
He can see the man in front, no-one in the protected area by his side.
The only one he can't see is the man coming from behind
The speed with which Polson was run down must have bordered on the player being too close.

Reply #28
This is a game would have won - easily - with 22 contributors.

Getting tired of Neale tearing us a new one every time,  time to try somebody else other than Ed as a stopper.

Reply #29
Putting aside the result was it just me or do we seem to have changed our game plan over the last 3 weeks.

We seem to want to take the attacking inside option especially when the ball is in the better users (I know we don't have many) which opens up more scoring options for us.

A loss is a loss I know but just seem to be playing a better brand of footy and as shown in the first half when we put in, we now look capable of scoring.

On another note, geez did we miss Fisher yesterday.