Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2017 Round #2: Carlton vs Williamstown (Read 24921 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2017 Round #2: Carlton vs Williamstown

Reply #91
http://m.carltonfc.com.au/news/2017-04-26/vfl-player-review-round-2

Liam Jones.

He'll be an in next week.  I reckon he'll replace Phillips.

::) Can already see the endless posts in the post match thread, after he does sweet FA.

Not part of our future, would only play him if we have n other options.

Reply #93
Ahead of Kruezer or Casboult?

Can't see it myself.

I suspect it won't be instead of Kreuzer or Casboult, but it may well mean one of the young guns gets a rest!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #94
Ahead of Kruezer or Casboult?

Can't see it myself.

I know what you mean, but given we are a bit short on ruckmen, Levi is our only viable forward, our kids got belted last week, and then this is the comment about his game in the VFL from the coach:

Liam Jones
Stats: 10 disposals, 25 hitouts, 7 tackles, 5 inside 50s
From the coach: I thought he was our best player on the day, especially given we had a job to do on the VFL’s best ruckman in Nick Meese which he more than accomplished. He competed his socks off and his follow-up was like an on-baller.

I reckon you just have to reward the effort, particularly when he has been played as a tall defender, and can pinch hit up forward when Levi goes in the ruck.

Lets not forget, who we are playing against.  Sydney have a lot of talls who we dont have good match ups for and Liam Jones has been tried in defense of late.  If he is useless there, he can go into the ruck, and we can leave Rowe with Tippett.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #95
Could Jones offer an option for Buddy?  Can't see any of our bigger defenders being anywhere near fast or smart enough to cover him.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #96
Could Jones offer an option for Buddy?  Can't see any of our bigger defenders being anywhere near fast or smart enough to cover him.

Nice idea but jones doesn't strike me as a smart footballer. In fact I'd prefer to bring paul bower out of retirement instead of jones. ????

If jones does play (unlikely) I'd guarantee it wouldnt be on Franklin

Reply #97
Nice idea but jones doesn't strike me as a smart footballer. In fact I'd prefer to bring paul bower out of retirement instead of jones. ????

If jones does play (unlikely) I'd guarantee it wouldnt be on Franklin

A damming reflection on Jones being compared and seen inferior to Bower in terms of nous....nervous defender as a description didnt adequately cover Bower.
Jones has actually looked alright down back in the NB's and dare I say it ... looked reliable... :o

Reply #98

jeffy has just shown how much he doesn't know about the game.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #99
jeffy has just shown how much he doesn't know about the game.

Oh please! Clearly I was taking the p155. ????

If you think jones will play on franklin you've got rocks in your head. He may well come in but it won't be to play on their number 1 forward unless he runs on ball.

Reply #100
Oh please! Clearly I was taking the p155. ????

If you think jones will play on franklin you've got rocks in your head. He may well come in but it won't be to play on their number 1 forward unless he runs on ball.

I'm with you Jeffy.

Jones is not a senior footballer - as i thought we all knew he will serve his final year playing with the NB.....he will only be considered if we are decimated with injuries otherwise he will stay put. He has had 3 years (3 years too long)with us and produced SFA. 

Any consideration for this hack to play on the most damaging forward in the last 10 years is comical.

Reply #101
I'm with you Jeffy.

Jones is not a senior footballer - as i thought we all knew he will serve his final year playing with the NB.....he will only be considered if we are decimated with injuries otherwise he will stay put. He has had 3 years (3 years too long)with us and produced SFA. 

Any consideration for this hack to play on the most damaging forward in the last 10 years is comical.
Jones is a conundrum for mine, I haven't completely given up on him yet (I'm pretty close). At 198cm/98kg/26yo, there may be just the slightest chance it is a maturity thing. Its not like we have an over abundance of big KPs busting down the selection door. I would never have picked him to play the game he did vs Willi. Who's to say he cant come in and do special roles for us? He is incredibly resilient (injury wise) and does throw himself around at times, he needs to bring it every week though. Look he is probably done and dusted and our club but you never know.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #102
Not arguing that he may deserve another (final) crack at it, however to throw him into the 1s onto Lance Franklin would not be fair on him.

I agree with other comments that he may come in for Weiters and give Kroozer a chop out in the ruck.

Reply #103
If they are on the list, then what is the point of retaining them if they are not going to get a game?

Why wouldnt you put Jones on Buddy to play a role, if the other talls are currently a bad matchup?

Why wouldnt you put Jones to pinch hit into the ruck, if Phillips can barely run around for a half, Kreuzer is still "sore" and you dont want to slaughter Harry Mckay so early into his career?

Because he has no future in the game??  Thats not the right reason to exclude anyone who is currently on our list.  We may as well have paid the bloke out last season, parted ways with him, and then recruited a new player.  We still might do this at the end of this year, but if he manages to reignite his AFL career, we might even find someone who wants to trade with us for his services, and whilst that might seem farfetched, Hawthorn went and picked up Ty Vickery.  Its not impossible.  We only stand to lose, by ignoring players putting their hand up for selection and then ignoring them. It sends the wrong message to all and sundry and only cuts off your nose to spite your face.

If they are on the list, and havent retired they should be viewed as a senior player irrespective of when they are getting games.

One thing I am quickly learning about our reset, is that our football club isn't the only thing that needs to change.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #104
Hey Thry - good post, not sure if that post was directed at me?

Anyways, I'm all for giving Jones a go and agree 100% there is no point retaining players if there is no chance in them playing seniors.

My only point is we want to promote players to the seniors and give them every chance of success in the role - which i dont think with respect would be Jones on Franklin.

Ive got faith the coaches will make the right choice match-ups, just dont think jones would be first cab off the rank for franklin. Things would need to have gone seriously bad for that match up to occur IMO. Rowe and Marchbank would be better options.