Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 6: Pre game premonitions: Carlton vs Sydney (Read 37512 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 6: Pre game premonitions: Carlton vs Sydney

Reply #105
If fit, Kreuzer comes back in, Phillips out. Thomas should come back via the VFL IMO.

Otherwise, this week, I'd keep the rest of the team, the same.

Possibly, Macreadie out for McKay to come in (then reshuffle the talls somewhat), but in all honesty, I have no problem with the two most impressive players form our VFL game against Willi (in my opinion) in Cuningham ad McKay, playing one more week in the VFL, and doing more of the same. Though, have no problem with them playing AFL either. Thought they looked a class above. Cuningham is ready IMO, McKay too really. They're both working really hard too. Gut feel, says both listed as emergencies along with Billie Smedts this week, with one change being Kreuzer in and Phillips out, who needs more game time at VFL level for sure.

I tell you what, Liam Jones, was fantastic against Willi too. Played ruck and was like an extra mid so far as pressure acts go. Just fantastic. Took some very good around the ground marks too. Like him down back also. Reckon that's his go now as I've said previously. Not as a genuine key forward. Keeping some pressure on the likes of Casboult, etc too which can only be a good thing. Would now like to see that consistency in his game at VFL level. Only 25 yo I think and pretty rugged, strong and rough type now around the contest. He helped our mids alot in the VFL v Will-town.

Reply #106
I tell you what, Liam Jones, was fantastic against Willi too. Played ruck and was like an extra mid so far as pressure acts go. Just fantastic. Took some very good around the ground marks too. Like him down back also. Reckon that's his go now as I've said previously. Not as a genuine key forward. Keeping some pressure on the likes of Casboult, etc too which can only be a good thing. Would now like to see that consistency in his game at VFL level. Only 25 yo I think and pretty rugged, strong and rough type now around the contest. He helped our mids alot in the VFL v Will-town.
Agree. To me, he was very Kruzer like in his effort and attitude. Crashed and bashed which is all you can ask from a bloke who is not a ruckman's a-hole. Yet another example of sacrificing your game for the team.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #107
Cuningham (who really looks like he's added some size to his frame) for Polson or Fisher.

Both of those blokes will get hammered by the Swans' mids. i'd even play Graham he needs to be decent  crack in the 1s otherwise why the f... did we retain him?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #108
Cuningham (who really looks like he's added some size to his frame) for Polson or Fisher.

Both of those blokes will get hammered by the Swans' mids. i'd even play Graham he needs to be decent  crack in the 1s otherwise why the f... did we retain him?

I like the idea of Cuningham coming in for one of the other kids.

Mature rig, can run out a game and tackles like a beast.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #109
Let's be frank - after a 90 point pantsing - there should be 3 or 4 changes; so

1. Kreuzer for Phillips
2. Cuningham for Polson
3. Graham/Smedts for Fisher
4. Jones for ?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #110
We'll know for sure this time tomorrow but Kreuzer is almost certain to return and probably Daisy if fit. Maybe Smedts, Graham or Kerridge for one of the kids also. Cunningham also a good chance if the MC see the game as a " learning opportunity" for him?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #111

1. Kreuzer for Phillips
2. Cuningham for Polson
4. Jones for ?

Jones equivalent role is Casboult's. Despite a great game in the VFL it'll be hard to fit him in. I'm sure Cunnigham will get a run this week.

Reply #112
perhaps Jones is th right match up for Tippet?
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #113

1. Kreuzer for Phillips
2. Cuningham for Polson
4. Jones for ?

Jones for Weitering.
Give the kid a break.
I'd be resting Pickett too

Reply #114
Pickett was average - picked and choosed on Friday night - needs a spell in the twos to remind him to go 100% at all times.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #115
Pickett was average - picked and choosed on Friday night - needs a spell in the twos to remind him to go 100% at all times.

He might be dropped but he's not a meat grinder footballer but he also doesn't pick and choose every time.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #116
So why is it that many players dominate in the VFL and then fail, or leave alot to be desired, at AFL level?

I can't answer this based on anything but my experience trying to break into the seniors at soccer.

Ultimately I never felt the coach had faith in me to do the job or that I belonged at that level even though I was happy to do what was asked and busted a gut to do my best for my team.

Is that confidence or lack of in my ability??
Perhaps.   I did play seniors for a year, and played some good games, but ultimately being replaced by a youngster three years running really made me feel that they didn't believe I could do it.

Have a think about Sam kerridge, Nick Graham Blaine boekhorst and how the above might apply to them.

They will be under pressure to perform and keep their spot because sooner or later a kid who's barely going will get a game ahead of them and they might wonder why but they might stop caring soon. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #117
Simply cannot have Kerridge, Buckley nor Boekhorst playing ones.

Jones should be considered. Reckon he could hold down a key defensive post myself. Could also play ruck/forward. His effort, tackling, grunt work and general physicality would be very, very handy!!! Much just depends on the structure they want, how many talls, Kreuzer, etc?

Reply #118

Jones should be considered. Reckon he could hold down a key defensive post myself. Could also play ruck/forward. His effort, tackling, grunt work and general physicality would be very, very handy!!! Much just depends on the structure they want, how many talls, Kreuzer, etc?
I agree re Jones being given a go in defence, youjust never know. If you recall how badly Rowe struggled in the early days playing as a fwd/ruckman. Then transitioned into defence, he has cemented a spot and does the job week in week out, almost to the point where I would say he is one of (or at least in the group of) our more important players (if he keeps his form up). Cant hurt trying him.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #119

I don't think any player can be written off until de-listing.