Skip to main content
Topic: When Is The Honeymoon Period Over? (Read 8597 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: When Is The Honeymoon Period Over?

Reply #15
I think people are starting to look critically at Bolton.

His slogans are wearing thin on some fans.

His matchday coaching tactics seem to come under fire and seems limited to swapping Rowe and weitering around,  and swapping Ed Curnow onto a different opponent to tag according to what I've heard/read from supporters.

I'm under no illusions.   Our club is in a bad situation where too much has been left to too few, and that's a work in progress but in a couple of years time we will need a new batch of kids, to fill in our current gaps, because our elder players who have a big say in how we go, will be replaced by our current kids.

If people are looking at success as a measure of Bolton he won't stack up in a few years.  Kruddler pointed it out.  We are five years off challenging properly unless we bring in a few free agents, or our kids and sub 24 year olds kick on and become solid afl performers quickly.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #16
I think people are starting to look critically at Bolton.

His slogans are wearing thin on some fans.

His matchday coaching tactics seem to come under fire and seems limited to swapping Rowe and weitering around,  and swapping Ed Curnow onto a different opponent to tag according to what I've heard/read from supporters.

I'm under no illusions.   Our club is in a bad situation where too much has been left to too few, and that's a work in progress but in a couple of years time we will need a new batch of kids, to fill in our current gaps, because our elder players who have a big say in how we go, will be replaced by our current kids.

If people are looking at success as a measure of Bolton he won't stack up in a few years.  Kruddler pointed it out.  We are five years off challenging properly unless we bring in a few free agents, or our kids and sub 24 year olds kick on and become solid afl performers quickly.

Seriously?
Have you watched us over the last 4 years?
We have been crape. And u expect Bolton to turn that around?
It's not about Bolton, Ratten or Malthouse.
The coach is one piece of a team.
We need to build a resilient hard working ruthless group, that can transform our players into something similar.
Our list will require another 8- 10 players.
As u said it will be 3-5 years before we could challenge.
So far so good but we are just starting a 5 to 7 year programme.
We will disagree on a few things along the way but expecting miracles early is just old school garbage

Reply #17
Seriously?
We need to build a resilient hard working ruthless group, that can transform our players into something similar.
We will disagree on a few things along the way but expecting miracles early is just old school garbage

I agree and on the time frame...the question is will the faithful and the management of the club agree and stick fat for the long journey....one bad loss to Port and the natives seem to be restless.

Reply #18
I agree and on the time frame...the question is will the faithful and the management of the club agree and stick fat for the long journey....one bad loss to Port and the natives seem to be restless.

Faaaarrrrk the natives.
That thinking put us in this mess.

Reply #19
Seriously?

Your misunderstanding of my post is so enormous Im not even going to try and clarify things with anything but the following.

That post isn't about what I expect from Bolton and I have no idea where you extrapolated that point from.

Read the post properly.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #20
Faaaarrrrk the natives.

The culture of the club that we dont rebuild or embrace the draft put us in this mess......when the form 4 disappeared so did we.....

Reply #21
Really good food for thought in some of these posts. Idk if the term "honeymoon period" really fits the bill here. No matter where we are as a club all of us have certain expectations and those expectations change with time based where we are as a club. Whether they fall in or outside this honeymoon period doesn't seem absolutely relevant to me.

All of us as supporters and members are looking from the outside in, and we all have a grasp of the propaganda coming out from the club. Our own opinions are based on what we hear or don't hear really sets our own expectations. I think setting a "bar" then going for it really is a flawed scenario as well.

For me personally there will never be a honeymoon period or a grace period, it just doesn't sit right. From day dot to infinity and beyond I just expect the Club as a whole to get better. I guess then the honey moon period finished in 1864.

SOS - "I hated losing"

Reply #22
Bolton v Clarkson first 27 games

Can't read it Jim .
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #23
Can't read it Jim .

Clarkson had one more win only than Bolton at the same stage....its a fair point Jim makes remembering Hawthorn were a basket case when Clarkson took over.
Saints record when Pelchen traded out everything was also poor....bottom, 4th bottom and bottom again, taken them a while to rebuild and move up the ladder.....one bad loss to Port and we are questioning the coach who we have to remember is also learning his craft and tactically etc is a novice...

Reply #25
Clarkson had one more win only than Bolton at the same stage....its a fair point Jim makes remembering Hawthorn were a basket case when Clarkson took over.
Saints record when Pelchen traded out everything was also poor....bottom, 4th bottom and bottom again, taken them a while to rebuild and move up the ladder.....one bad loss to Port and we are questioning the coach who we have to remember is also learning his craft and tactically etc is a novice...

True.

I've backed them in for bringing in the kids reasonably quickly and it will be interesting to see if they think they had a few too many kids in.

I've got no problem even if they think it was a mistake, it happens, there's no hard and fast rules . We have to know what the tipping point is.

My feeling is a few more mature bodies this week.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #26
True.

I've backed them in for bringing in the kids reasonably quickly and it will be interesting to see if they think they had a few too many kids in.

I've got no problem even if they think it was a mistake, it happens, there's no hard and fast rules . We have to know what the tipping point is.

My feeling is a few more mature bodies this week.

I watched On the couch and Healy bought up our list of inexperienced kids.
He said it may be dangerous bringing in too many at once.
Dunstall disagreed saying, just get games into them.
Effectively sink or swim.

Was interesting Monday night after Melbourne lost everyone on fox sympathied saying they were short a ruckman etc and Dunstall said they just need to find a way to win these games.

Reply #27
I am still in love. Come on we talk about playing kids and when they lose we are surprised. Supporters support we have been told what they are going to do (Bolton etc) and they are doing it they told us there would be bumps and guess what. A loss to port in Sa in a season we will finish bottom three who cares ... they are not going to win a flag so they can run around enjoying the victory we blooded a group of players who will be better for it.

Reply #28
I watched On the couch and Healy bought up our list of inexperienced kids.
He said it may be dangerous bringing in too many at once.
Dunstall disagreed saying, just get games into them.
Effectively sink or swim.

Was interesting Monday night after Melbourne lost everyone on fox sympathied saying they were short a ruckman etc and Dunstall said they just need to find a way to win these games.

We'll know their thinking soon enough.

Reply #29
Faaaarrrrk the natives.
x2.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set