Skip to main content
Topic: Some more thoughts from the 'Pros' (Read 13567 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Some more thoughts from the 'Pros'

Reply #45
I’m not sold on Harry.

Needs to pull his finger out before he ends up on th same scrap heap as many before him. Seems to lope along too much for my liking. His potential won’t be enough. Thought he lacked urgency in the JLT series-was a perfect time for him to excel but failed to grab the opportunity. All the images of him with his bulging biceps count for SFA if he cant get the pill.

Will be much tougher for him in the real season and as much as he needs game time.....first and foremost he needs to be 100% committed otherwise we are wasting time we could put into others like Kerr. 

Reply #46
Whatever other attributes Harry has, I think he plays in large part because we have no one else, and he shows the most promise. We are light on for KPF as it is, and if Krooz and Cripps are rotated between their normal positions and the forward line, and Levi is rotated between forward, ruck, wing etc., then having someone stationed pretty much as CHF would be no bad thing. Helps his development, gives the forward line some stability, gives the mids a known target etc. Could do worse IMO.

Reply #47
lol @ people saying we can't play harry with Curnowfides and Casboult in the same forwardline, but laying into me suggesting similar with Weitering in certain situations.

Reply #48
lol @ people saying we can't play harry with Curnowfides and Casboult in the same forwardline, but laying into me suggesting similar with Weitering in certain situations.

I think we can play them all.
Curnow is a bit more of a roving forward anyway.
If Kerr comes on though we may have a problem (not a bad one though) ;)

Reply #49
Depending on weather, opposition defence, our own structures etc. we could play all three at once, but I would not make a habit of it. Curnow must play very game - if it suits to only play 2, well I'de be favouring Harry to start with - give him a good block of games to get the ball rolling. Top 10 pick, been on our list for 2 seasons, his body is growing, more attacking game plan - it's time to let her rip I reckon.

Reply #50
I’m not sold on Harry.

Needs to pull his finger out before he ends up on th same scrap heap as many before him. Seems to lope along too much for my liking. His potential won’t be enough. Thought he lacked urgency in the JLT series-was a perfect time for him to excel but failed to grab the opportunity. All the images of him with his bulging biceps count for SFA if he cant get the pill.

Will be much tougher for him in the real season and as much as he needs game time.....first and foremost he needs to be 100% committed otherwise we are wasting time we could put into others like Kerr.

Harry reminds me of Joe Daniher who loped along early in his career and looked carefree and lazy, he drove Bomber fans mad and made us happy being so inconsistent and lazy looking but now we are not so happy and he is one of the best KP Forwards in the game. Trick was the Bombers stuck with him in the seniors and just kept sending the ball his way and while it took 3-4 seasons it paid off and we need to do the same with Harry. I think we can play three talls up forward and I also think Casboult can ruck a bit more than he does after covering for Kreuzer in the last JLT game fairly well IMO....and at the same time Kruezer can go forward more.

Reply #51

I think it's a form issue with McKay for Rnd 1, based on his JLT form. Playing him Rnd 1 will give Rance a free run, Rance won't even need to stand on the kid. The sad thing was that SoJ was also down, I reckon he could easily have a good game though because his work rate was quite high compared to McKay.

Weitering was probably one of the best in JLT2, McKay's hardly had a touch in two outings.

But the AFL JLT Supercoach ratings say it all, below McKay are only other players who played part games. Maybe McKay was being managed, but it was JLT and the intensity was well down, and he's a 200cm KPP who would normally have a high percentage of game time.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #52
I think we can play them all.
Curnow is a bit more of a roving forward anyway.
If Kerr comes on though we may have a problem (not a bad one though) ;)

I agree that Curnow, Casboult and McKay can all play in the same forward line, particularly with Curnow playing further up the ground and Casboult having a run in the ruck.

Charlie managed to lead Carlisle up the ground in JLT1 but we didn’t really capitalise on his efforts.  I’m sure that Teague will be fine-tuning how our forward line operates.

Harry showed that he can handle himself in ruck contests and I think that means that we’re unlikely to see much of Phillips and Lobbe.

It would be an embarrassment of riches if Kerr lives up to his potential ????
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #53
McKay looks like Kurt Tippett Mark II.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #55
Yep, time to prune that dead wood... ????
Well let's hope he is not the dead wood just yet, but wasn't impressed in lack endeavour by Harry , he seemed our Great White Hope for a while now , it now time to fullfill some of that hope . Yes it was JLT as has been commented but perfect time to grow the green shoots in a nice lawn before he is mowed under

Reply #56
McKay looks like Kurt Tippett Mark II.

Tippett looked a million  dollars, before he got a million dollars! ;)

The Swans should sue his management, the money ruined him!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #57
Depending on weather, opposition defence, our own structures etc. we could play all three at once, but I would not make a habit of it. Curnow must play very game - if it suits to only play 2, well I'de be favouring Harry to start with - give him a good block of games to get the ball rolling. Top 10 pick, been on our list for 2 seasons, his body is growing, more attacking game plan - it's time to let her rip I reckon.

One thing abuot Harry, we'll never know if he's any good if he's playing the 2s.

And out first 6 games this season are 'easy' games on the wholwe, what better time to tell the kid - your spot is guaranteed for 2 months, so go hard and play hard.

Agree re the weather, three bigs up there too much if it's going to be wet, wet, wet.

Against the Tigers, I'd be swinging both Curnow and Weiters through on Rance... make the guy very accountable.

One on one, Charie will beat him in the air and Weiters should have the smarts to at worst negate him.

And if Houli is an out, the run out of the Tigers' defensive 50 evaporates pretty quickly.

And play and Harry. Astbury only 195cm how does he alone handle the twin towers, both over 200cm?

But again, it's all about fast (and idealy first) use of the ball.

We got smashed out of the centre in H1 of JLT2.....bad set ups? Sure, Special K off but Levi went ok but they inevitably won the ball.

Need Ed Curnow to do more. I think SPS will show his quality this year.

And Murph hopefully will move out of first gear against the Tigers.

Should Kennedy tag Dusty and Ed get the job on Cotchin. After that they'e meh anyway. Sounds like Prestia is an out too.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #58
We have to persevere with Harry. He is the type that we are desperate for and the potential payoff is huge. Maybe a few frustrating times ahead but we must not make a premature call knowing that such big key types need more time. Patience is not a dirty word, impatience maybe is?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #59
Agreed Cookie, the bloke is 203/204cm (still growing?) and only 20; a potential 10 yr key forward.

What's the hurry?

After all, it's up to the midfield to get its act together to deliver the ball forward in a coherent way in the first instance?
Finals, then 4 in a row!