Skip to main content
Topic: Position vacant: Carlton AFLW Senior Coach  (Read 9776 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Position vacant: Carlton AFLW Senior Coach

Reply #1
After some of the insipid performances this season, a change was not improbable.
Particularly as Keeping appeared to have considerable help problems this season.
I hope we can search well and find a coach who can fix the structural issues we have, and a new recruitment guru, like Stephen Silvagni, who can bring in the talent that we need.

Thank you to Damien Keeping. We appreciate your efforts. But now we need to move on towards the Premiership.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #2
As we suspected, all was not rosy behind the scenes.

Next.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #3
As we suspected, all was not rosy behind the scenes.

Next.
There had to be something that took us from one end of the ladder to the other. Disharmony is death.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #4
I think Keeping's health might have played a big part of it, he seemed quite liked by the players.

But when that Arnell selection stuff surfaced, something had to be going on behind the scenes.

Not sure who they get to coach, there are not that many experienced AFLW type coaches on the menu!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5
I think Keeping's health might have played a big part of it, he seemed quite liked by the players.

But when that Arnell selection stuff surfaced, something had to be going on behind the scenes.

Not sure who they get to coach, there are not that many experienced AFLW type coaches on the menu!
I won't be disappointed if we appoint someone who has coached the guys, rather than the girls. There is a lot of learning our players require.
I am not sure about Lauren Arnell's playing future, she really struggled this year. But I would be getting her involved as an assistant coach ASAP. She has an enormous reputation in the VFLW. Harnessing some of that would be excellent, no matter who ends up being head coach.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #6

I think that's right LP; the players were full of praise for Keeping and I suspect that his ill health unsettled the team.

I'd like to see us appoint a female AFLW coach ... but I wouldn't be disappointed if Dennis Armfield returned to the AFLW panel.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #7
Our games were unwatchable, he had to go.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #8
And the Captain wants out too..... ???
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #9
As far as recruitment, how about SOS and his crew.

AFLW all takes place in the AFL off-season anyway and I bet he watches it all anyway.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #10
I think that's right LP; the players were full of praise for Keeping and I suspect that his ill health unsettled the team.

I'd like to see us appoint a female AFLW coach ... but I wouldn't be disappointed if Dennis Armfield returned to the AFLW panel.

I think that's been very generous.

They were a schmozzle from the get go. The wins they achieved were by default, nothing else....

Averaging 24 points a match is hardly noteworthy!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #11
I think that's been very generous.

They were a schmozzle from the get go. The wins they achieved were by default, nothing else....

Agree... I think if his health was an issue he wouldn't be 'exploring other (footy) options', he'd be stepping down for health reasons or similar.

Players always speak highly of their coach... publicly.

The AFL's intervention re changing from a defensive style didn't help either (aimed squarely at us), we had no plan B. (as an aside, I agree 100% with Caro re the timing of the AFLs intervention - amateur hour stuff.)

Schmozzle is an accurate summary of our AFLW side this year... the gals deserved much better, and they are better than their on-field stuff demonstrated.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #12

The AFL's intervention re changing from a defensive style didn't help either (aimed squarely at us), we had no plan B. (as an aside, I agree 100% with Caro re the timing of the AFLs intervention - amateur hour stuff.)

I'm not sure what the right amount of points per match will be for the AFLW.

Given other sports on much smaller surfaces have statistically significant scoring differentials based on gender I suspect scores significantly lower in the AFLW than AFL will be normal.

I'm not sure it needs to much analysis, it could be simply because the girls take more disposals and time to move the ball the same distance which widens the chance of an error. Subjectively, from basketball to AFL there seems to be sliding scale relative to men, with average reductions in scoring across all womens competitions for each sport, differences that widen as field size increases. If there were more men's netball competitions it would be interesting to see if the pattern holds. For basketball I think it's about 15%, soccer 25% and AFL it looks to be as much as 50%.

I don't know enough about hockey or other field sports that have competitions for both genders to judge, but I suspect competition wide averages will follow the same pattern whether it be lacrosse, water polo, polo, etc., etc..

I do find it can be hard to differentiate though, because often one women's team will be heavily dominant and score far more than the others skewing averages. I'm sure someone expert is statistics would have ways to compensate for this.

So if there is an expectation for AFLW to score like AFL it is misplaced, I'm sure it will get better but the differential will always apply while they play under the generally same rules. So change the rules, don't have then coached to play the male style game, perhaps the AFL and the AFLW coaches need to think a little deeper!
The Force Awakens!