Skip to main content
Topic: New skipper (Read 8042 times) previous topic - next topic

New skipper

Brianna Davey will captain the Blues in 2018.

Last season's skipper Lauren Arnell and Sarah Hosking will be joint vice-captains.

The article on the club website says that the appointments followed an exhaustive process and I think that we are now taking a much more analytical and performance-based approach to leadership.

I really like the idea of Lauren Arnell, our inaugural captain, being made vice-captain.  I reckon she will be a great support to Brianna and it also recognises that her leadership attributes haven't evaporated.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Re: New skipper

Reply #1
I am a bit disappointed for Lauren, she did an excellent job last season. It would have been nice for her to have the job for another year. But if they're intent on replacing her, they've picked the best person with Bri.

Reply #2
Davey's leadership must be pretty outstanding to flick Arnell (who by all reports was excellent) after one season.

A bit like Hodge replacing Mitchell.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #3
The club is taking a really interesting approach to this playing group.

Normally with a new franchise you ease into things fairly gradually but we've moved on some players who were really valuable contributors in the first year...and now we replace a captain who obviously performed reasonably well in that role because she's been named as vice-captain.

Seems like a club in a hurry to get things established for the longer term.

Reply #4
Davey's leadership must be pretty outstanding to flick Arnell (who by all reports was excellent) after one season.

A bit like Hodge replacing Mitchell.

True, is everyone assuming that Arnell was deposed and didn't stand down!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #5

I hope not.

Unless the club has made an announcement we shouldn't assume anything.
( I reckon we all know what "assume" does. ) ;)
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #6

We know that the skipper and vice-captains were appointed after an "exhaustive process" but we don't know whether that process involved Arnell standing down.  I'm assuming that we started with a blank canvas and the "exhaustive process" led to the appointment of the three best leaders but I could be way off the mark.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #7
Lauren Arnell did a great job in getting the CFC Womens team up and going in the inaugural AFLW's 1st season and was a deserving 1st year captain.
IMO though Lauren did not have a great season on the field, while Bri Davey won the B&F. I'm more than happy to see Bri take on the captaincy as a younger and more long term candidate, with Lauren as VC still in support. It may even help Lauren perform better on field.
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #8
Maybe this is what was in both their best interests?

First time doing any of it (leadership and playing footy "professionally") so perhaps it was literally about giving two candidates the same opportunities to lead the club.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #9
Lauren Arnell did a great job in getting the CFC Womens team up and going in the inaugural AFLW's 1st season and was a deserving 1st year captain.
IMO though Lauren did not have a great season on the field, while Bri Davey won the B&F. I'm more than happy to see Bri take on the captaincy as a younger and more long term candidate, with Lauren as VC still in support. It may even help Lauren perform better on field.

Reading the e-mail from the club I think there may be an element of setting Davey up as the young leader there for the long term.
She's 22 while Arnell's 30 so she has the potential to be our captain for many years.
The thing is, we really don't know about the longevity of the women compared to the men.
I suspect many will play well into their thirties.

Reply #10
Reading the e-mail from the club I think there may be an element of setting Davey up as the young leader there for the long term.
She's 22 while Arnell's 30 so she has the potential to be our captain for many years.
The thing is, we really don't know about the longevity of the women compared to the men.
I suspect many will play well into their thirties.

I suspect you're right about setting up Davey.  There's a good article about our AFLW leadership in the Age today and one sentence that stood out was:

Arnell said she was rapt to move into the mentoring role while Davey and Hosking are in their early 20s.

I don't want to derail this thread but I wonder if Marc Murphy will take on a similar role.

Reply #11

If you are going to stand down from captain, you don't step down into vice captaincy.

I think its basically a succession plan with the new breed taking over from the old head.

Reply #12
Congratulations to Bri, Lauren, and Sarah. I've no doubt the mix of youth and seniority will optimize the development of our girls.

Go Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #13
I suspect you're right about setting up Davey.  There's a good article about our AFLW leadership in the Age today and one sentence that stood out was:

I don't want to derail this thread but I wonder if Marc Murphy will take on a similar role.

I think a certain ACL injury may have prevented that from occurring at least this season... ;)
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #14
If only our blokes had as much dedication as our AFLW captain.

Back at training....