Skip to main content
Topic: Clash Jumper Revealed (Read 16221 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Clash Jumper Revealed

Reply #75
Yep. Hardly rocket science.

re clashes.

Look at the jumpers from behind.

I'm not sure what the current opposition jumpers are displaying at the back right now but in the past we have clashed with...
Melbourne
Fremantle
St. Kilda
West Coast
Collingwood
Essendon

When those teams had a predominantly solid back colour (be that black, purple or blue) it made it very difficult to pick up from behind in certain light....usually direct sunlight.

We clash with all those jumpers ?   but only certain light or direct sunlight..... Please tell me you are taking the piss.... :D

I apologise in advance if you are color blind.
Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #76

We clash with all those jumpers ?   but only certain light or direct sunlight..... Please tell me you are taking the piss.... :D

I apologise in advance if you are color blind.

We HAVE clashed with those jumpers in the past. Not saying we clash with all of them all of the time.

Eagles and Dees have both adopted Navy Blue for large periods of time.

Looking at them from behind, all you see is navy blue. If a player doesn't have his jumper tucked in, you can't see his shorts. If he's socks are down, you can't tell at all.

If you are at a game at the G, sitting in the southern stand in the first quarter of a night game, you can't tell the difference when the jumpers are all purple or all black, which the others have all been at some stage.

I have very good eyesight personally, and can usually pick out the individual by size, hairstyle and running style, but i have no doubt that some of the oldies wouldn't have a hope in hell.

Reply #77
Yeah well I will concede maybe some older people with poor vision may struggle ... but only in certain light and from behind... and only certain jumpers at certain times. ;)  :D

Ok Im taking piss now.

But seriously... I dont think we need one.. its getting ridiculous now we have a grey / silver jumper and white socks..?  it is pewk worthy. 

Do we know what home and away games we are being told to wear it this year ?  If any ?
Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #78
I have very good eyesight personally, and can usually pick out the individual by size, hairstyle and running style, but i have no doubt that some of the oldies wouldn't have a hope in hell.

Not a hope in hell...
It's why I don't go to live games much anymore.
Even with glasses if it's more than a third of the ground away I really cant pick out individuals.

Reply #79
Yep. Hardly rocket science.

re clashes.

Look at the jumpers from behind.

I'm not sure what the current opposition jumpers are displaying at the back right now but in the past we have clashed with...
Melbourne
Fremantle
St. Kilda
West Coast
Collingwood
Essendon

When those teams had a predominantly solid back colour (be that black, purple or blue) it made it very difficult to pick up from behind in certain light....usually direct sunlight.

Agreed. I struggle when at the game with all of those teams and I'm 32 with ok eyesight. It's frustrating going to a game and watching half of it on the big screen just so you know who has the ball.

I don't understand the big deal with this.

Reply #80
NM, I suppose we all have different levels of visual acuity, but I wouldn't rate what you describe as OK. Do you drive a car?

This comes from myself, the person with arms that are no longer long enough to read a book unassisted, I cannot read the Footy Record without glasses, or crisply see the numbers on the speedo.

But I can pick out players on the opposite side of "The G" without a problem in whatever attire they choose! :o

One thing of interest, something your post has made me realise, there could be a very good reason forum members get in so many arguments on this site! ;D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #81

I don't understand the big deal with this.

I support ( I'm 49 so have followed for over 40 years ) an Australian AFL Football team called Carlton - The Old Dark Navy Blues and we've worn that jumper for over 100 years..

I don't know why we have to keep chopping and changing our jumper and colours every couple of years ?  ..... It's just a bullcrap money making exercise....  IMO 

English Premier League,  NBA and Amercan Football do it so we have to do it too... ?  PFFFT

Maybe it's just me......  I've become a grumpy old man  ?  :)

EDIT - Thanks to the Blueseum I've done some research ;)

http://www.blueseum.org/Guernsey+History

Not quite a 100 years  1927 - 2018 so 90 odd years with a couple variations of the cfc logo.

Reply #82
I support ( I'm 49 so have followed for over 40 years ) an Australian AFL Football team called Carlton - The Old Dark Navy Blues and we've worn that jumper for over 100 years..

I don't know why we have to keep chopping and changing our jumper and colours every couple of years ?  ..... It's just a bullcrap money making exercise....  IMO 

English Premier League,  NBA and Amercan Football do it so we have to do it too... ?  PFFFT

Maybe it's just me......  I've become a grumpy old man  ?  :)

EDIT - Thanks to the Blueseum I've done some research ;)

http://www.blueseum.org/Guernsey+History

Not quite a 100 years  1927 - 2018 so 90 odd years with a couple variations of the cfc logo.
Normally, in my younger days, I would have seen it exactly like you have. I'm a fraction older than you and I reckon I have become more tolerant and accepting of change in my old age. I reckon to date, our alternative strips have looked crap. For some reason, I like this one. Its modern, different and the colours, to me, are in a strange way conservative. The baby blue and white strips we have had in the past have made me puke. So there you go.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #83
Normally, in my younger days, I would have seen it exactly like you have. I'm a fraction older than you and I reckon I have become more tolerant and accepting of change in my old age. I reckon to date, our alternative strips have looked crap. For some reason, I like this one. Its modern, different and the colours, to me, are in a strange way conservative. The baby blue and white strips we have had in the past have made me puke. So there you go.

Yes this is basically how I see it, I'm a bit like NM as the only thing I fail to understand is the white socks but I know that is currently the fashion so it's probably not targeted at the oldies!

I see teenage boys roaming around the streets in shorts, white socks and boat shoes like it's high fashion and not a time-warp back to the sixties at a UK sea-side holiday camp!

Anyway, the first time we win big in that strip people will want it worn all the time! We've worn that strip and won a JLT game it in, perhaps it's an omen!

I've also heard there are some unique or experimental features of this away kit that might go very well at "The G" under the new lighting schemes!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #84

I would prefer to watch our players wearing navy blue but, if we have to have a “clash” strip, the current version is pretty good and heaps better than our previous efforts.

I wonder how much the requirement for a “clash” strip is motivated by merchandising opportunities?
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #85
I wonder how much the requirement for a “clash” strip is motivated by merchandising opportunities?

I'd think it a big motivation, and that those references to the AFL's demands are more of a justification and a conformance.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #86

CHING CHING CHING... We have a winner... It is the only reason.  It was never broken so didn't need fixing until some bright spark saw dollar signs $$$$

The yanks do it so we should too.... :(

WE might've been the ones who started it when we did the blue M+M thing :( :( :(

Reply #87

CHING CHING CHING... We have a winner... It is the only reason.

So you will just disregard everything Lods and Navy Maven have told you!

Some of us remember black and white, some might be colour blind, others just getting older!

Not the only reason, but a reason! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #88
So you will just disregard everything Lods and Navy Maven have told you!

Some of us remember black and white, some might be colour blind, others just getting older!

Not the only reason, but a reason! ;)

ok - the MAIN reason ..........$$$

Reply #89

CHING CHING CHING... We have a winner... It is the only reason.  It was never broken so didn't need fixing until some bright spark saw dollar signs $$$$

The yanks do it so we should too.... :(

WE might've been the ones who started it when we did the blue M+M thing :( :( :(
Disagree. Clashes in contrasting jumpers have existed since day dot. There weren't the resources to fix it, nor was the competition professional enough. Nowadays, there are the resources (organisations and money) to address such problems and tweak things for the better. To be clear:
- I prefer to see us run out in our traditional Navy Jumper but accept the need for an alternative strip;
- I would not by a clash jumper no matter how good it looked.
- The AFL need to be more clever with Umpires clothing as sometimes, they balls this up completely (ie Umps clash with players)
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time