Skip to main content

Poll

Who would you like to see as the next Captain of the Carlton football club?

Patrick Cripps
[ 39 ] (66.1%)
Sam Docherty
[ 18 ] (30.5%)
Other
[ 2 ] (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Topic: Next Captain (Read 23766 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Next Captain

Reply #105
We've been as 'dodgy as' in the past in many respects.
It may be a bit naive but as a member it's an area I'd hope we're improving.
If nothing else Bolton strikes me as "fair dinkum fella" who would set a standard of 'above board' behaviour and fairness.

In fairness, its not always the coaches fault. Directives come from the higher ups as well.

Reply #107
You'd hope the "fair dinkumness" extends up the chain ;)

We hoped they were doing things properly a couple decades ago too. Look where that got us.

Reply #108
We hoped they were doing things properly a couple decades ago too. Look where that got us.

That's the whole point...we hope any dodginess has been eliminated.
If we haven't got that right we're on the wrong track because it 'WILL' come back to bite us.

Reply #109
This is pre-judd era i'm talking.

These rumours were not something i heard in the media before or since. This was from the inner sanctum.

Who said they were in the media?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #110
Part of the reason we cop it from the media on most issues (e.g captaincy) is that our presence therein is close to nil. Apart from Sellers Maclure, who doesn't impress me all that much, we have or had oldies like Tim Lane or Walls, who now rarely contribute, or goof balls like Pang or (God forbid) Andy Maher. Possibly for gender reasons, someone like Sam Lane is considered a light weight.

Case in point - Docherty is out for the year. Get him to write a few opinion pieces for the AFL website or the Age. Get him on as a boundary rider / expert commentator on the televised matches. Get him on Access All Areas. He needs to be mixing with the 4th estate wherever possible. This helps to get and keep the media on side. We are way behind on this front IMO. We need plenty more CFC people doing this.

Reply #111
I should add, Judd is starting to do it, but there's still a long way to go IMO.

Reply #112
Case in point - Docherty is out for the year. Get him to write a few opinion pieces for the AFL website or the Age. Get him on as a boundary rider / expert commentator on the televised matches. Get him on Access All Areas. He needs to be mixing with the 4th estate wherever possible. This helps to get and keep the media on side. We are way behind on this front IMO. We need plenty more CFC people doing this.

Doubt it will happen, but it's a great idea!

In my experience CheatsFC TV will offer him a gig in two circumferences, when his contract is up for re-negotiation and they are interested or when he retires and they want dirt from an insider!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #113
I should add, Judd is starting to do it, but there's still a long way to go IMO.

Judd is not on the AFL Broadcaster though, and I think Pang, Maher and Lane basically keep their jobs by being somewhat trivial!

Did anyone notice the Diesel Williams segment on The Front Bar? Malloy offers up a brown paper bag at the end citing Carlton reports that is the way he likes to be paid, Pang and Maher just laughed it off!

When they should have had some Chinese Takeaway ready to return for Malloy for delivery to Dusty, complete with Chopsticks!

The more sh1t you take the more they will shovel at you!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #114
Doubt it will happen, but it's a great idea!

In my experience CheatsFC TV will offer him a gig in two circumferences, when his contract is up for re-negotiation and they are interested or when he retires and they want dirt from an insider!

Maybe you're right, but I'd like for them to at least try.

As Neil Finn said, "don't sell out, buy in."

Reply #115
Maybe you're right, but I'd like for them to at least try.

As Neil Finn said, "don't sell out, buy in."

Neil Finn has just sold out of Crowded house and bought into FleetwoodMac.....

Reply #116
Neil Finn has just sold out of Crowded house and bought into FleetwoodMac.....

It does sound like a long term thing, but given that they're oldies who don't make much new music or tour all that frequently, and given that CH has been a part time concern for years, I'm sure he'll have plenty of time for both, if he so chooses. 

Reply #117
The last clip I saw of Lindsey Buckingham was "meat-loafesque." :(

Reply #118
It does sound like a long term thing, but given that they're oldies who don't make much new music or tour all that frequently, and given that CH has been a part time concern for years, I'm sure he'll have plenty of time for both, if he so chooses.

Think it will be a disaster myself..Mike Campbell from the Heartbreakers is a underrated guitarist and should be able to cover Buckingham's guitar work but Neil Finn doing the vocals
with Stevie Nicks doesnt sit right IMO and is an odd choice. They tried the dual replacement for LB when he spat the dummy and left previously and it didnt work, the album was a flop and so were the concerts.
Without Buckingham its not FMac. Reckon NF will be glad to get back to CH and dream its over... ;)

Reply #119
Think it will be a disaster myself..Mike Campbell from the Heartbreakers is a underrated guitarist and should be able to cover Buckingham's guitar work but Neil Finn doing the vocals
with Stevie Nicks doesnt sit right IMO and is an odd choice. They tried the dual replacement for LB when he spat the dummy and left previously and it didnt work, the album was a flop and so were the concerts.
Without Buckingham its not FMac. Reckon NF will be glad to get back to CH and dream its over... ;)

You could well be right EB.

LB is pivotal to FM, no doubt about that.

To be honest, I'm not fussed how it pans out. I don't go to concerts anymore (assuming they even tour Down Under), and the current CH and FM albums I own are enough for me.