Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 15: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 44611 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 15: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #270
Yes we would have moved Setanta and Thornton out of the forward line. A big win if you ask me.

I don't deny that it's all speculation - hence the existence of the forum.

It's like arguing that had Ratten stayed things wouldn't have been like this.

It's impossible to know what knock on effect some decisions may or may not have had.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #271
You can't take a few games in isolation, if he hadn't been sacked the whole dynamic of the team would have been different and we might not have played in any of those finals, it's certain that our results would have been different for better or worse.
I think that Fevola was a toxic influence and that we were better off without him so you and I can't agree on this one.

Apart from the Lara Bingle episode, which was poor IMO, most of Fev's harm was to himself. I don't think he was toxic, but he was certainly immature and basically a big baby.

Starting with the 03 season, he never kicked less than 49 goals in a season. If that isn't handy, I don't know what is.

Reply #272
It's like arguing that had Ratten stayed things wouldn't have been like this.

It's impossible to know what knock on effect some decisions may or may not have had.

No doubt.

Reply #273
Hes had a few handy seasons in his 10 year AFL career.  But he has largely been an also ran even if he is a big bodied also ran who can hurt the opposition without a possession.  The stats actually show, he wasnt as good as anyone thinks he was.

Is that realistic and reasonable?

Robinson won an AFL B&F 2015, finished 2nd in 2016 B&F, finished 7th and 9th on the John Nicholls medal while at our club, and is a 100 game player for us. He was also selected to represent his country in International Rules in 2011.

A lot of average AFL players would be very happy with that record!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #274
Starting with the 03 season, he never kicked less than 49 goals in a season. If that isn't handy, I don't know what is.

Yes, it's hard to justify an attempt to downplay Fev's influence on the field by discussing his foibles off-field.

Fans best keep in mind that after that "Final Straw", McGuire's Pies, Brayshaw's Norp and Lyon's Dees all made inquiries about Fevola when it was clear his time was done at Carlton!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #275
Apart from the Lara Bingle episode, which was poor IMO, most of Fev's harm was to himself. I don't think he was toxic, but he was certainly immature and basically a big baby.

I've never said that he lacked ability, in fact my post which kicked this discussion off described him as a champion full forwsrd.
His weakness was his almost total lack of self discipline, which to its discredit the club tolerated for far too long.
Pagan wanted him dropped the week that he took his boots off on the bench but was overruled by a weak kneed board, which effectively gave him carte blanche and destroyed the authority of the senior coach.
Some would say that it's been downhill ever since.
He should have been shown the door years before he was in my opinion.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #276
Yes, it's hard to justify an attempt to downplay Fev's influence on the field by discussing his foibles off-field.

Fans best keep in mind that after that "Final Straw", McGuire's Pies, Brayshaw's Norp and Lyon's Dees all made inquiries about Fevola when it was clear his time was done at Carlton!

Media beat up, Voss was our only hope of getting a brass razoo for him.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #277
Media beat up, Voss was our only hope of getting a brass razoo for him.

Fevola reported he knocked back a better offer from the Pies because he needed to get away from his situation.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #278
How did we get here on to Fev on the Post Game?

Reply #279
I've never said that he lacked ability, in fact my post which kicked this discussion off described him as a champion full forwsrd.
His weakness was his almost total lack of self discipline, which to its discredit the club tolerated for far too long.
Pagan wanted him dropped the week that he took his boots off on the bench but was overruled by a weak kneed board, which effectively gave him carte blanche and destroyed the authority of the senior coach.
Some would say that it's been downhill ever since.
He should have been shown the door years before he was in my opinion.

Fevola is an old school, all or nothing player. You either take the good with the bad, or you don't.

Very interesting read which I only just discovered.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/there-is-more-to-brendan-fevola-than-newspaper-headlines/news-story/74adbbb3935bc7347620a1a00c22c7d5?sv=5a599355218514a61e69900d7083601e

Reply #280
Fevola reported he knocked back a better offer from the Pies because he needed to get away from his situation.

Well that worked out well for him I must say.

Reply #281

That blue4life, you need to watch him - a real larrikin.

Reply #282

Just going over old times, what more is there to say about an 11 goal hiding from Brisbane after all?

Reply #283
That blue4life, you need to watch him - a real larrikin.

Masochist more like.

Reply #284
PaulP, on far more than one occasion I've seen Fev at VFL games, he spends most of his time kicking the footy with kids while many of his peers brush them aside! The same at low level suburban cricket matches!

But around adults he has always been easily led, yet he takes responsibility for his actions while those who often triggered or introduced him to trouble hide in the shadows! I don't need to name names, I don't have to because you know many of them, their past and their character or lack of it precedes them, and he is not the only one they have stitched up! Ask the cabby basher!
The Force Awakens!