Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 15: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs Brisbane (Read 44292 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 15: Post Game Pain: Carlton vs Brisbane

Reply #286
How did we get here on to Fev on the Post Game?

A welcome distraction perhaps...we have drifted off-topic but I think it's all been said.
If anyone would like to pull it back to the game that's fine.

Just on Fevola...everything I've seen recently has indicated he's still Carlton through and through.
One of his strengths has always been his interaction with younger folks.
One of our weaknesses at the moment is younger supporters wavering due to our lack of success.
Could we find a role for him as a youth ambassador for the club.
It may not have a great impact but we need to be making every effort to halt the drift or we'll lose a generation of supporters.

Fev's Army ;)

Reply #287
PaulP, on far more than one occasion I've seen Fev at VFL games, he spends most of his time kicking the footy with kids while many of his peers brush them aside! The same at lo level suburban cricket matches!

But around adults he has always been easily led, yet he takes responsibility for his actions while those who often triggered or introduced him to trouble hide in the shadows! I don't need to name names, I don't have to because you know many of them, their past and their character or lack thereof it precedes them!

A bloke I know had a share in a racehorse with him and said he was a top bloke.
I was at a pub once for a Christmas break up, who should walk in carrying half a dozen stubbies but Fev.
He took a seat at a very long table which had obviously been reserved and about 20 minutes later other Carlton footballers started sitting down as well, it turned out that the club had its Christmas party there.
Fev had necked two stubbies before anyone else had arrived, we left about 3 o'clock and I shudder to think how he ended up.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #288
Is that realistic and reasonable?

Robinson won an AFL B&F 2015, finished 2nd in 2016 B&F, finished 7th and 9th on the John Nicholls medal while at our club, and is a 100 game player for us. He was also selected to represent his country in International Rules in 2011.

A lot of average AFL players would be very happy with that record!

Whilst we are light on for average, we need blokes who aren't stars setting good standards.  Robinson may have done so onfield, but you cannot argue that off field he did, otherwise the leadership group wouldn't have green lit an example being made.

Robinson has been in the AFL for 10 years, at two clubs.  One of which has been firmly rooted to the bottom of the ladder during his time there (and now he is having limited impact as they are getting better) and the other he was sacked from as they slid from a top 8 side to the bottom 10.  He was handy, but you don't put up with dishonesty from handy.  On this same converstation, Fevola got more chances because he was good.  He got sacked eventually.  Robinson was here for that.  What lesson did he learn?
without raking over old ground too much further, Chris Judd and Dale Thomas took Cripps under their wing and he went along obligingly and has become captain material.  Cripps has done so with Fisher.  Did Mitch ever do this with anyone and before we continue, lets not forget that he was part of a pack led by Eddie Betts, including Jeff Garlett (cant get a game at Melbourne due to playing too much one way footy), Chris Yarran (retired with issues) and Kane Lucas (retired lack of opportunity for an outside runner with no defensive side to him).

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #289
Whilst we are light on for average, we need blokes who aren't stars setting good standards.  Robinson may have done so onfield, but you cannot argue that off field he did, otherwise the leadership group wouldn't have green lit an example being made.

Robinson has been in the AFL for 10 years, at two clubs.  One of which has been firmly rooted to the bottom of the ladder during his time there (and now he is having limited impact as they are getting better) and the other he was sacked from as they slid from a top 8 side to the bottom 10.  He was handy, but you don't put up with dishonesty from handy.  On this same converstation, Fevola got more chances because he was good.  He got sacked eventually.  Robinson was here for that.  What lesson did he learn?
without raking over old ground too much further, Chris Judd and Dale Thomas took Cripps under their wing and he went along obligingly and has become captain material.  Cripps has done so with Fisher.  Did Mitch ever do this with anyone and before we continue, lets not forget that he was part of a pack led by Eddie Betts, including Jeff Garlett (cant get a game at Melbourne due to playing too much one way footy), Chris Yarran (retired with issues) and Kane Lucas (retired lack of opportunity for an outside runner with no defensive side to him).

Wow, I just do not know how to respond to that! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #290
Moving Robbo on was a mistake IMO...we should have readjusted his contract to make sure he stayed on track.....Martin Pike was a serial pisshead  off the field but Brisbane had him on one year deals tied to performance and behaviour. He didnt like it but it worked.....

Reply #291
Moving Robbo on was a mistake IMO...we should have readjusted his contract to make sure he stayed on track.....Martin Pike was a serial pisshead  off the field but Brisbane had him on one year deals tied to performance and behaviour. He didnt like it but it worked.....

Pyke was a miles better player than Robbo, he was worth the effort.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #292

So then the rules are not all equal, who it is really matters.

Does that extend to the relationship between clubs and the AFL?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #294

Different roles entirely. A mile better? I doubt it...
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #296
So then the rules are not all equal, who it is really matters.

Does that extend to the relationship between clubs and the AFL?

Definitely, and to life in general.

Sorry B4L but its Pike not Pyke...... ;)

Thanks EB, I won't go over and edit all of my mistakes but he'll be Mr Pike from now on.   :D

Reply #297
Different roles entirely. A mile better? I doubt it...

Four Premiership medals says that he was.

Reply #298
Wow, I just do not know how to respond to that! :o

High as kites the both of them during the season.

http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/eddie-betts-discovered/

Have a look at the video. Remember, Betts has been on record regarding his approach to footy and taking taking life much more seriously at Adelaide.

I don't know what's true and what isn't and I will agree that we haven't behaved the right way with everyone, but I remember watching this video in 2013 and thinking to myself, that we have a group within a group here with only one solid citizen amongst them in Dennis Armfield.

We have made a significant attempt to change the culture at our footy club.  When I look back at these decisions (selling the farm to get Judd, sacking Fev, Sacking Ratten, Letting Betts walk, recruiting Dale Thomas, letting go Laidler who's biggest sin was disagreeing with the coach, sacking Garlett, sacking Robinson) and I think of it from the perspective of a footy club trying to drag itself out of the mire it was stuck in, then they all make perfect sense and it even paints the picture of Mick NOT coaching just for his career.

Still we get too caught up in inidividual incidents to think about the big picture, and thats ok, but I think its time we stood by and pretending we knew less about running a footy club than we think we did, and we might end up with the right summation of what is going on for a change (which is another reason why I think Bolton is under no internal pressure, and any scrutiny on the club is external).
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #299
Mark Robinson really ripping into us this week, not a word about Essendon's season officially being ended. A team he said were premiership contenders.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!